Gertrude Stein

September 24, 2012

Gertrude Stein image here

Gertrude Stein was a beloved and fierce poet, art collector, and children’s book writer. In this crackly 1934 interview, the interviewer asked her to explain a recent poem. She responded, ”But after all you must enjoy my writing, and if you enjoy it, you understand it. If you do not enjoy it, why do you make a fuss about it? There is the real question.”

She sounds feisty, doesn’t she? I bet she was one of those people who told the truth all the time, even when it hurt. Do you have someone like her in your life?

Another Gertrude Stein tell-it-like-it-is quote found here.

P.S. — This dose of cool was written by one of Design Mom’s newest editors, Koseli Cummings. I like her style already. I promise a more formal introduction soon! Also, did you see Midnight in Paris? Stein’s character makes me want to have the sort of home where artists and writers want to congregate.

1 Palma September 24, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Not sure about GS clones in my life, but, Dig that nifty wall paper!

2 Koseli September 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

It really is amazing, Palma. I wonder if it was neutral tones or bright and bold? If we know anything of Stein, bright and bold is my best guess.

3 Sandra Gonzales September 24, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Loved Midnight in Paris- I forgot I wanted to buy it. Love watching my favorite movies on coldy rainy days.
Oh and welcome Koseli!

4 Koseli September 26, 2012 at 9:57 am

Favorite movies + cup of tea + stormy night sounds perfect. Thanks for the warm welcome, Sandra! So happy to be here.

5 kockey September 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm

My neighbor who is a single mid-wife woman in her 60′s is so Feisty! You know what? Most people in the neighborhood love her for it. I have been a recipient of the unsolicited feedback once or twice, and often find myself thanking her for it!

6 Azra September 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Ha! That sounds like my mother. :) But I love her.
I loved Midnight in Paris( big Woody fan). Yes, it would be fun having a home filled with such creative force. Imagine constant inspiration! Coco Chanel was also gathering as well as supporting artists and writers.

7 Joslynn September 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Love Gertrude stein! My grandmother was quite sassy and liked to bang pots and pans and flirt with young men. Funny how that becomes endearing when you’re older.

8 Koseli September 26, 2012 at 10:01 am

Our grandmas were full of spice! :)

9 Sarah September 24, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I do like people who are straightforward and sassy, but it’s a huge pet peeve of mine when an artist of any kind gives off the “if you don’t understand it, then I won’t explain it to you” attitude. It feels incredibly condescending and self-important. People usually ask because they want to appreciate the piece by getting more information and insight on it. Even if there is no super deep meaning, one could reply, “I simply liked how the words sounded (or colors looked, etc.) together.”

10 Azra September 24, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Sarah, I so agree with you.

11 Koseli September 26, 2012 at 9:59 am

Good point, Sarah! I like an expert/specialist who can still talk to me about their expertise with patience and respect. It’s an important quality to have.

12 tere September 25, 2012 at 7:35 am

I had the same thought when I saw Midnight in Paris, and then I thought how different the life I chose is for now, maybe my kids grow up to be artists and I could be the Gertrude of their friends, ha!

13 Koseli September 26, 2012 at 10:00 am

That’s awesome. I need a banner that says Seize the Gertrude Within You.

14 Barchbo September 25, 2012 at 9:45 am

Upon reflection, I am pretty sure I am the Gertrude in most of my friends’ lives – that’s what recovery does for people, to a certain degree. That said, I DO try to speak the truth in love!