Dishwasher Cuisine

September 12, 2012

Have you ever in a million years thought of using your dishwasher to prepare dinner? (Did your jaw just drop? I still can’t wrap my brain around this one!) After a lot of research, trial recipes, and experimentation with different wash cycles, Lisa Casali wrote the guide and recipe book Cucinare in Lavastoviglie, which translates to cooking with the dishwasher.

It’s the same principle as cooking at low temperatures, a technique that saves time and uses 60% less fat than with normal cooking processes, and also enhances a food’s natural taste. This means less salt and calorie-laden condiments. Just grab a few canning jars and vacuum bags, and cook an entire meal while simultaneously cleaning all the prep dishes and utensils. Sounds good to me!

I’m sure there was a point in history when the microwave was considered to be an out-of-this-world Jetson-esque crazy machine, but look how we now rely on it to save time. Would you ever try this?

1 Marketa September 12, 2012 at 7:43 am

Oh, this just made me laugh. I read the first sentence like three times before moving on. Yup, with my jaw dropped, indeed. The bracket content made me realize it did, actually.

2 invitation consultants September 12, 2012 at 7:46 am

neat idea!

3 Haydee September 12, 2012 at 7:51 am

This, I will say, has piqued by interest. What an intriguing concept! Never in a million years would I have thought about doing this. But am curious to check out her cookbook now.

4 courtney September 12, 2012 at 7:55 am

We had a church activity once where we ate salmon that had been cooked in the dishwasher. It was wrapped very tightly in aluminum foil with a little lemon pepper and butter and then stacked in the dishwasher like plates. Awesome!

5 Martha September 12, 2012 at 7:55 am

For mothers day one year my dad and all the son-in-laws were is charge of cooking Sunday dinner (Tradition that lends itself to more work for the women than usual by the time we get them all sorted out, still very fun). My dad was put in charge of making bread, he didn’t read my instructions that he needed to make it and let it rise for a couple of hours. My mom came to his rescue by running the dishwasher for 10 minutes then placing his bowl of dough in there (dishwasher off, but hot and full of steam) for the next 20 minutes. Perfectly risen dough.

6 Eleni | My Paradissi September 12, 2012 at 8:10 am

Really?! What a bizarre idea! I’m definitely trying this out! xoxo

7 Azra September 12, 2012 at 8:48 am

It just killed my appetite. A stove is somehow more appealing to me. :)

8 Kristen E September 12, 2012 at 9:49 am

Huh, this sounds interesting. I wish they’d given a recipe for us to try! I’ll be at the bookstore tonight – maybe they’ll have her cookbook. :)

9 The New Diplomats Wife September 12, 2012 at 10:06 am

what a funky idea, i supposed it’s like a really large steam cooker. But I can’t help but think then that we could get the same from a steam cooker but with much less water?

10 Andrea -- StuffWeMake.com September 12, 2012 at 10:57 am

Are there any recipes in English?

11 Kate September 12, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Short answer: no.

12 Louise September 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I have put containers with frozen soup in the dishwasher to thaw them quicker. Worked great!

13 Jela Webb September 12, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I’ve cooked (whole) salmon in the dishwasher!! Stuff with slices of lemon, herbs, onion then double wrap in foil and ‘cook’ on the lowest setting. I set the dishwasher up just before I went to bed and in the morning had a deliciously cold salmon ready for lunch time guests. It works a treat!

14 cathy v September 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm

The best “baked” potato I have ever eaten was cooked in the dishwasher. The restaurant had been doing it for years and that was 21 years ago.

15 how2home September 12, 2012 at 3:01 pm

This is too cool!!!! Jumping over to learn more. Thanks for sharing :)

16 dymnyno September 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm

This reminds me that somewhere in my recipe archives I have a recipe for salmon cooked in the dishwasher…like from 30 years ago. Of course, no soap needed!

17 Barchbo September 13, 2012 at 12:55 pm

My sister and I made a couple of meals in college in the dishwasher. She bought a vintage cookbook (70s) and there were recipes in there. I wish I could remember what we made!

18 Cheree September 18, 2012 at 7:33 am

When my husband and I were first dating (12+years ago), the first meal I ever made him was Salmon in the dishwasher. I didn’t confess until after we had ate it and I was sure he liked it!!! It makes for a good story :) and it tasted delicious. I haven’t made it that way since my college years.