Design Mom Asks: Fall Cravings

September 13, 2012

There comes a moment at the cusp of every new season when we crave something new. Even if there’s not a major change in temperatures or wardrobe layers, there’s got to be at least one item that tops your list of what you need to herald in the new month. And so I ask this week: What is your first fall purchase that you can’t wait to make?

Cheryl of It’s Two AM:
When the weather turns a bit cooler, the skies turn grey, and the New England leaves begin their brilliant burn-out, I start craving color. Those Autumnal reds and oranges, and bright goldenrod yellows remind me of the first fall frost, and the crisp air invigorates my desire to get up, get moving, and get things done.

This past weekend I made my first fall purchase: a tube of Russian Red lipstick by MAC. I can’t seem to stop wearing it! It is such a pop of take-me-seriously brightness, which has been the perfect foil for these past few days of gloomy rainy weather. Whether it’s been a quick trip to the grocery store for bread and cheese, or a walk down the driveway to pick up the mail, that small tube of lipstick has managed to make all my daily chores just a teeny bit more glamorous, which in turn, makes me just a little more likely to get them done. Who knew lipstick is the secret to To-Do List success?

Annabel Vita:
Every Autumn I look forward to going to Marks & Spencer and stocking up on lots of basic tights in black, grey, and blue. It makes me feel prepared for the winter and ready to enjoy cold weather clothes. Then I like to go to Noa Noa and treat myself to one very fancy pair of lovely thick tights for the really chilly days. At the moment, I’m eying these lovely spotted ones!

Grace of Sense and Simplicity:
I’m mad about plaid these days. It evokes all the warmth and comfort and cocooning of fall and winter. So, I’m on the lookout for something plaid to add to our home. I love the look of a table set with a plaid blanket or a few meters of tartan material as a tablecloth, simple dishes, and lots of things from nature arranged in the middle of the table as a centerpiece. And nothing beats the coziness of a soft wool plaid blanket across the end of your bed or to wrap yourself in when you are reading or watching TV. With some plaid around the house, I say bring on the cold weather!

Britt Van Deusen of Design Omnivore:
My favorite fall purchase has already been made! It was my girls’ backpacks and jackets. And even though the stuff is cool just straight from the Lands’ End website, my daughters and I made them even cooler with some custom-designed embroidery. My six-year-old designed a logo consisting of our dog, Lady, in a heart, and then I designed a monogram that says Van D. Our local embroidery shop, Atlantic Embroidery Works, kindly put our designs on the backpacks and jackets, and the result is too cute!

—-

Plaid, thick tights, cute monogrammed jackets…I want to start a fire and cozy up to fall, don’t you? You bring the marshmallows and I’ll  make the cocoa! Also, this is probably the fourth rave review I’ve read on that Russian Red lip color; it’s probably time to try it out. Thank you, ladies, for chiming in this week and revving us up for fall!

And now I’d love to hear from you! What is your first fall purchase that you can’t wait to make?

The perfect plaid via Daniella Marie.

P.S. — You can catch all of our Design Mom Asks conversations right here. If you’d like to participate in the next one, drop me a note. I’d love to hear from you!

1 Andrea Graf September 13, 2012 at 9:24 am

Every year I crave something different to welcome fall, last year was anything pumpkin or cider scented, sometimes it’s sweaters, sometimes baked apples, school supplies are a new one with my oldest starting 1st grade, or just spending time out in all the beautiful fall leaves.

I think this year I’ll be doing a lot of baking and sewing or crocheting cozy things.

2 Design Mom September 14, 2012 at 4:14 am

Everything about your comment makes me feel cozy, Andrea. : )

3 Sara September 13, 2012 at 9:39 am

I can’t wait to find and buy the perfect sweater dress! Also, I’m craving pumpkin and actually made a pumpkin smoothie for breakfast. :)

4 Christa the BabbyMama September 13, 2012 at 10:09 am

I think I’m looking forward to the apples and pumpkins most! I just made the first apple cake of the season – so good :) And I love making loaves and loaves of pumpkin bread for the deep freeze so we have them all year long. I’m not a huge pumpkin fan, but I love it in bread form!

5 Design Mom September 14, 2012 at 4:15 am

Pumpkin bread sound scrumptious. I’ve never made a loaf, but I do love baking pumpkin cookies.

6 Lucy Mitchell September 13, 2012 at 10:21 am

I’ve just got my Autumn treat. A soft mid-blue denim shirt with those snappy pearlised buttons. I’m hoping it will go with red jeans and the perfect black jeansy leggings(yet to be discovered).

7 Jadah{family sponge} September 13, 2012 at 10:43 am

I crave the fall seasons because I love layers, scarves, pumpkin pie, and chai tea lattes. We’ve been saving all of our recyclables and getting crafty for Halloween. Too soon? Maybe. But my daughter is having a blast. Check out the milk jug “pumpkin” lantern: http://familysponge.com/create/kidsart/halloween-craft-idea-milk-jug-lanterns/

8 courtney September 13, 2012 at 10:52 am

Getting dressed in the fall is my favorite! Yes, I love the sundresses and sandals of summer, but I love the textures, layers and fabrics of dressing in the cooler months the most. I am most looking forward to bying a few key pieces for my work and weekend wardrobe – a new pair of slouchy boyfriend jeans; a navy blazer; and some new shoes, perhaps some brown booties. I like to weed out my closet in early October and shop here and there through December, adding one nice piece at a time.

9 Design Mom September 14, 2012 at 4:15 am

I vote yes to the brown booties!

10 mechele johnson September 13, 2012 at 11:01 am

This may not have much to do with fashion, but me and my husband had the fortune of going to France 3 years ago. We stayed in a fabulous Agratourismo in a little town called Cruis high on a hill in Provence. It is a handful of Kilometers from the village where the L’Occitaine factory is, and it was marvelous! There is not a lot there, but there was a local shop that had the most beautiful treasures from the Provence area ever! Gorgeous pottery, linens, home decor, etc…and the cheapest prices we found in all of our trip! It was truly a hidden treasure. We also traveled througout Italy and Swizterland, and when we look back that was our most favorite place. We are currently planning on returning in a couple years and are going to stay there for the most part of our trip. I highly recommend you visiting there with your family. Even just to shop at that store is worth it! You can’t miss it either (don’t recall the name) as it is the only variety type store in the village…

11 Design Mom September 14, 2012 at 4:16 am

What a trip, Mechele. Sounds terrifically picturesque!

12 Tamsin September 13, 2012 at 11:33 am

I am on the look out for a long-ish black cardigan to drape around my baby bump.

13 Corinne September 13, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Anything pumpkin flavored!

14 jolene September 13, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Pumpkin, scarves and beeswax candles in the evening!

15 Maria September 13, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I crave the smell of wood burning stoves. I love going for a walk in the cold, crisp air and smelling the burning wood from fireplaces in the neighborhood. Just makes me happy.

16 Design Mom September 14, 2012 at 4:18 am

I know and love that smell as well, Maria! We haven’t built our first fire of the season yet, but I’m betting it will happen soon. It’s quite chilly today!

17 Julie September 13, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Apropos wearing red lipstick: how about a tutorial in time for fall?

18 Design Mom September 14, 2012 at 4:16 am

What a great idea, Julie! Let me see if I can make that happen.

19 Susan S. September 13, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I just bought a lovely dark blue leather purse, and of course there’s always a pumpkin spice latte, mmm!

20 robyn September 14, 2012 at 5:56 am

candy corn! we bought a bag yesterday on impulse and are enjoying every sugary bite!

21 sarah @ two tarts September 14, 2012 at 8:03 am

Fall cocktails – especially excited about anything smokey, apple, or pear. We just did a Fall Cocktail Roundup on our blog, so timely question! :) http://www.two-tarts.com/2012/09/best-fall-cocktails.html

22 Karen P. September 16, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I love the color – in nature and fashion; the tastes – apples, cider, spice, pumpkin, roasted meats, soups and stews; the sounds – of crunching leaves, football games, and the wind sounds different with less leaves on the trees; the smells – in the kitchen but also of fallen leaves and hayride straw; the feel – of crisp weather and flannel shirts and toasty fires. Autumn is my favorite season.

23 Haydee September 16, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Even though it’s already out, it’s truly fall to me when I purchase my first Pumpkin Spiced Latte from Starbucks. Also, cozying up on the couch with my favorite blanket while watching our favorite (dvr’d) fall shows.