Color Me Rad

September 10, 2012

If every 5K race looked like this one, I bet we’d sign up for one a month! (It might take us the other three weeks to get the rainbows completely out of our running gear!)

Color Me Rad is super passionate about encouraging people to be active and have fun while doing it, and even donate a portion of the proceeds from each race to local charities. They started throwing color — non-toxic, non-rash inducing colored corn starch — on runners in April, and they’ve been in 13 cities across the U.S. and Canada since, with a lot more cities to go. Check out their schedule here. Each section of the run adds a new explosion of color to your white tee, and by the time you cross the finish line, you’re a veritable work of art!

If I haven’t convinced you to sign up yet, let me swipe Color Me Rad’s pretty persuasive promise: “After 5K of color bombardment, we guarantee your outlook will be brighter, your boyfriend will be more affectionate, your girlfriend will be less needy, the hair on your head will grow back and the hair on your back will fall out, your black and white TV will turn into 720p HD (I know you were hoping for 1080, but we organize races, we’re not miracle workers), and your gray outlook will turn green like a spring morning.”

So cool, right? Tell me if you sign up for one of these rad races, will you?

1 Angie September 10, 2012 at 7:27 am

So FUN!! My husband and some of our friends participated in The Color Run (a different organization, but same exciting race) in Racine, Wisconsin this past May. We had a blast!!

In August, The Color Run came to St. Louis and my friend and I volunteered to throw the color on the runners. It was such a great time and always for a great cause! We’ll be doing it again next year!

2 Christa the BabbyMama September 10, 2012 at 7:42 am

How neat! It reminds me of Holi, the Indian holiday with the throwing of the colors. As a journalist, I covered a Holi event and loved it. Seems like running in all that starch would be a little weird, though :)

3 Jyll September 10, 2012 at 8:13 am

Holi was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the pictures! I’ve seen several videos of Holi events and want to attend one badly – all of those colors in the air look amazing!

4 Barchbo September 11, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Holi was my first thought, too!

5 Sharon @ Discovering blog September 10, 2012 at 7:52 am

Man, if you can’t be in a good mood after something like that, I don’t know.

6 Summer September 10, 2012 at 8:03 am

Haha, how funny – I ran the one in Ft. Worth this past Saturday! It was a ton of fun (even if it was way oversold, the kiosks at the race were lacking compared to other races, aaaand they didn’t have the purple station up at my time….not cool, cmr, not cool). Despite the flaws, I’d highly recommend to anyone wanting to run a 5K – having color stations to look forward to really pass the time! Oh, and it totally comes out of clothes and skin pretty easily!

7 Jessica September 10, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I did the Fort Worth one this past Saturday as well. It was a lot of fun, even if I am still blowing blue stuff out of my nose!

8 Sarah September 10, 2012 at 8:04 am

wow. they’re coming to my town… i am seriously considering starting training so i can run this!

9 Evie September 10, 2012 at 8:40 am

The MOST fun ever!! I LOVE the colors!

10 Cerise September 10, 2012 at 9:09 am

So much fun! We did the Color Run in Dallas this year. It was SO much fun. I told my husband that we should save up and travel to some of the others next year. I would seriously run in a 5k every week if they were like that. My eldest freaked out a little when we came back he insisted we take baths immediately.

11 Amy September 10, 2012 at 9:32 am

Thanks for the info! I’m so bummed I have to wait a whole year before it comes back to the Bay Area, but my 9YO and I will totally love running it together.

12 Giova Brusa September 10, 2012 at 10:30 am

Oh! It looks so wonderful and fun and way cool! I definitely would, if they had those here in Amsterdam, that is!

13 heidi garner September 10, 2012 at 10:37 am

We took my son to do the color run in phoenix. We lined up in the back because we had a little one…little did I know that a lot of those people had zero intention to run the color run! Not good for an avid runner who wanted to get at least a little jog in with her 5 year old. Good think I got in a good 8 miler before we headed out to the race. There was no way this marathon mom was going to spend her saturday only putting in 3.1 miles. I need to remind myself that a fun run is just that…fun! My son had a pretty good time and we plan to take all this kids that want to go this January…after I get my long run in of course!

14 Melanie September 10, 2012 at 11:09 am

I’m doing the Color Run in San Diego in November. It’s billed as “the happiest 5K on the planet,” which is about the only marketing tactic that could get a lazy person like myself to move her body parts.

I think it’s gonna be great. And if it’s not great, at least there will be pretty colors.

15 Gemma Hartley September 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I am a team captain for the Color Me Rad 5K in Reno and I cannot wait! I’ve never done it before but it looks like so much fun. Plus it benefits the Special Olympics of Northern Nevada. Good fun and a great cause, what more could you want?

16 Colleen September 10, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I did the first annual Color Run here in Austin this past year. It was very muddy, so we ended up with as much brown as anything else, but it was loads of fun. I highly recommend doing one of their races.

17 Ann September 10, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I added my email to the Detroit race. I hope I can get in shape by then. Thanks for telling me about it! I’ll let you know if we do it! So cool!

18 Erin L. September 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm

My classmates and I participated in July (Cincinnati, Ohio). It was the best run ever! We can’t wait to do it again next year.

19 Mehernaaz Sam Wadia September 11, 2012 at 7:42 am

As we say back in India, Holi haiiii! (Its Holli!)

These guys really picked a beautiful idea because holi is one of India’s most fun festivals. Its a bit difficult for my to get my head around the race and colours idea because of 32 years of holi ingrained in my psyche. But it sounds fun. More strength. More colour.

20 stephanie September 11, 2012 at 8:09 am

I’m doing the one in Austin in December and want to do the one in Miami in February! Looks like so much fun.

21 Shannon { A Mom's Year } September 11, 2012 at 9:51 am

Tim and I did the Muddy Buddy race once, but this looks like much more fun!

22 Sarah Barksdale Design September 11, 2012 at 1:36 pm

These pictures look awesome! I am doing a run like this in Nashville in a few weeks!

23 Shawna Greenway - Brush Dance September 12, 2012 at 7:27 am

They do something like this at Stanford University but I think it’s more to do with Indian holiday, Holi. I wonder if the colors stain your skin since they’re being mixed with sweat? Nothing like going to work the next day looking like an Oompa Loompa! LOL

24 Kristi September 18, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I just signed up for the race in Austin!! woohoo! Also it benefits Special Olympics of Texas ;)

25 Tam September 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I’m planning to do the race in Raleigh in October. It will be my first 5k. Should be fun.