Chemistry Crayons

September 13, 2012

Most kids I know — and all of the ones that I have! — seem to go through a chemistry phase. They mix concoctions with everything they find in the fridge and any toiletries they think you won’t miss, all while wearing swim goggles and giggling like a mad scientist. And no potion is complete without toothpaste!

Queinteresante Chemistry Crayons may keep them busy long enough for you to hide your favorite perfume. The set includes 64 Crayolas, each labeled with the particular chemical that makes the color happen. Such a smart gift idea!

Found via Wantist.

1 l o v e l y t h i n g s September 13, 2012 at 7:08 am

Chemistry crayons…that is so cool. We used to call it yucky soup…everything from the kitchen cabinets…I have to say we never thought to add toothpaste.

2 Sharon @ Discovering blog September 13, 2012 at 7:26 am

This. Is. Awesome.
I had the hardest time in Chemistry, because while the teacher talked, I tried to understand how chemicals made up everything. Was it like a recipe? What was my desk made out of? The teacher focused on weird chemical combinations that I couldn’t fathom, but if she would have brought it down to something tangible, like THESE CRAYONS, I couldn’t have understood it so much better.
Needless to say, I did much better in Anatomy & Physiology, where I could disect something and see and touch the muscles and bones.

3 Design Mom September 14, 2012 at 4:10 am

I know what you mean, Sharon. I had similar issues in math class. I always wanted to see very clearly how what I was learning played out in my actual life.

4 Julie September 13, 2012 at 7:57 am

What a fun gift for the chemists in my home! I have two of them. :)

5 Sarah September 13, 2012 at 7:58 am

these are awesome – i was chemistry-phobic in high school, and would love my son to embrace science instead…

6 Haydee September 13, 2012 at 11:34 am

Love smart gifts that are still fun for the kiddos. Great find.

7 Barchbo September 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Love these! What a great gift!

I’m sure the reason I got an A in Chem was because my parents fostered my interest. No concoction was complete without a crumbled chocolate exlax, pepto bismol and a spray of chloroseptic! Thanks for the memory jog!

8 Design Mom September 14, 2012 at 4:11 am

“spray of chloroseptic”

That just brought back a million memories!

9 CarrieB September 13, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Sadly, the Etsy seller now only seems to have label sets without the crayons, so you’ll need to assemble these yourself. Not the end of the world–but I’ve always been super klutzy at neatly applying labels. I can just image how it would turn out with small, round crayons!

10 Cathi September 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm

love, Love , LOVE these! Not just for kids either. They’d make an awesome gift for adults too. ;)

11 Design Mom September 14, 2012 at 4:12 am

I agree, Cathi! I know several adults these would be perfect for.

12 h September 13, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Aw, what a perfect gift for the scienists in your life. Actually never mind the science I want them!!

13 Stoich91 September 13, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Love, love, love! These are amazing…thanks for sharing.

14 bec September 13, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Ahhh…these have been on my want list for awhile now! they are awesome!

15 The Chemical Blog September 14, 2012 at 2:13 am

This is really cool.

I run a blog on chemistry related matters, would you mind if I mention this on our site? I think our readers will definitely appreciate this.

One question though – being colourblind I’d like to find out if the crayons also have the colour written on them as well as the chemical names?

16 Design Mom September 14, 2012 at 4:12 am

Yes to both! Please feel free to share this, and yes, the labels have both names.

17 Béa September 14, 2012 at 2:39 am

love it!!!

18 Ginger September 15, 2012 at 11:01 am

Oh, Man, my kids love to do the same thing. And everything includes toothpaste! My husband works as a research engineer and has given them his share of his old goggles too.

19 Brittany @ Wantist September 20, 2012 at 6:34 pm

So clever aren’t they? For us tactile/visual learners I would have loved these as a kid. Or in high school Chemistry. Even now!

Glad you spotted them Gabby. xo!