Building Block

September 5, 2012

This bag speaks to me. I’ve stared at it for a few minutes, and will probably stare at it several more. It’s now beginning to whisper convincingly that we should live together in the French countryside.

I’m taken by it all: the understated yet exaggerated lines, the buttery color that surely feels as velvety as it looks, and the designers’ cool aesthetic. Sisters Kimberly & Nancy Wu create beautiful objects with the intent of magnifying essentials and editing out excess. It’s a delightful design concept, and an even better daily focus!

Does this ever happen to you? Tell me the last pretty thing that spoke to you, will you? And did you listen?

1 Best of 2 Sisters September 5, 2012 at 4:00 am

This happens to me a lot. The other day I spotted a pair of brightly colored flower print, wide legged trousers. They definitely spoke to me. “Go on Camilla, slip your long gangly legs into us. You can be that confident flamboyant eccentric you’ve always dreamed of.” So I did. And they now live with me.
And they feel great!

(Husbands verdict when he saw me wearing them “What are those?” ;-))

/Camilla

2 everton terrace September 5, 2012 at 6:38 am

Well now you’ve got me in a one sided conversation with this fabulous bag. I think it might also want to come live in the Arizona desert :)
I have been thinking about a tatty union jack pillow I spied recently. I can hear it whispering to me even now…

3 Connie September 5, 2012 at 7:12 am

That just happened to me last weekend. My husband and I went to the local flea market and walked past this artisan that refurbishes antique wood into these big, yummy rustic dining room tables and benches. One in particular seemed to be saying (In a Brawny Towel Man voice, I’d imagine), “Hey, pretty darlin’, you’ve been eyeing up tables in furniture stores too long. Think about the dinner parties you could host with all your friends gathered around…I’m just your type…” That may be true, but the price tag wasn’t my favorite. So we decided that we’re going to try our hand at building our own table and chairs-I have a feeling it’ll end up looking rustic by default :)

4 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay September 5, 2012 at 8:45 am

You are so darn cute sometimes. You should live together in the French countryside.

5 Azra September 5, 2012 at 9:30 am

I hear you. I am in love.

6 Ann September 5, 2012 at 9:53 am

Korean design….lived in Seoul for three years….loved loved loved their aesthetic of tonals and elements of the earth in their design….sophisticated….

7 Sarah Barksdale Design September 5, 2012 at 10:22 am

That bag is gorgeous! Its so simple and sophisticated, I just love it!

8 yael September 5, 2012 at 11:04 am

love it.
simple and smart!

9 Tasha September 5, 2012 at 5:11 pm

The creamy color of the leather is perfect!
I also have this happen a lot…the latest lust was for a pair of sunglasses…and I NEVER wear sunglasses.
I do now!!! ♥

10 Christa the BabbyMama September 5, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I think the last thing that really spoke to me was a pair of super colorful floral ballet flats – they were so unlike anything I usually wear. And I would probably not get much use out of them, honestly, but they were SO delicious to gaze at!

11 Kristina @ Sarcire September 5, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I certainly had the same feeling with this wallpaper: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-wallpaper/23391022.jsp

I am currently in the midst of decorating a nursery- and I have been very selective and frugal on the entire process, except when I saw that wallpaper- I knew it belonged in the room. :)

12 Tasha September 6, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Wow is that different! I love it, too:) It is like a master painter made it for you – ENJOY!

13 Robbi September 8, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I’ve only ever really had this feeling once in my life – a pair of leather shoes in a window in Florence. The leather was so beautiful, the shoes looked like they were carved out of wood. Fifteen years later, I still regret that I didn’t sell everything I owned so that I could just bring them home and stare at them all day. (I would never have actually worn them, I’m pretty sure. Weird.)