Ask Design Mom: Naming Baby

September 4, 2012

Question:
I absolutely adore the names that you chose for your children, and I was wondering if you have any names that got away?  If so, would you be willing to share? I have to say, I’m always curious what you would name another handful of children! — Thanks so much, Trisha

modernkidsblairfamily32

Answer:
What a fun question, Trisha! I love the phrase you use: the names that got away. That’s perfect! I do have a list. Or at least a couple of little stories. When I was pregnant for the second time, and we’d found out it was a girl, we started chatting about names. I suggested Claire, (which I love!) And Ben started laughing. “Claire Blair?” he asked? Ugh! I hadn’t even thought about the first and last names together! When I realized they formed a full-on rhyme, which I was not okay with, I about burst into tears.

Then, when I was pregnant for the 3rd time, I was positive I was having a boy (I wasn’t), and we starting picking out names. We really liked one of the Blair family names: Charles Sargeant Green, and we planned on naming baby number 3 Charles Sargeant Blair. But baby number 3 turned out to be Olive! And when the next boy arrived (Oscar), Charles Sargeant didn’t feel quite right, so we saved it for a possible future son. Since we’re done having babies, it’s now officially a name-that-got-away.

Other names that have made our short list over the years: Mabel, Maxine, Beatrice and Hazel. But I can’t remember any of our boy names! In general, we’re drawn to the names from our grandparent’s generation. Easy to pronounce. Easy to spell. But currently uncommon. A name with some history. A name our kids will discover as they get to know great books. As a mental test, whenever we were talking about names, I would imagine my kids as 80-year-olds, sitting at a card table playing canasta. If the name we were considering fit at the table, it got a green light. : )

And now, I’m so curious I have to ask: Do you have any names that got away too? I’d love to hear them!

P.S. — I’ve been answering Ask Design Mom questions since 1996! Light stuff like this and heavier stuff like this too. You can find the whole series here. Also, the image of my kids was shot by Sarah of Modern Kids.

1 Cath September 4, 2012 at 7:11 am

I have three children and don’t intend to have anymore but there are lots of names which got away! My three favourite names are Ethel, Edith and Arthur – all of which got vetoed as, living in Italy, it is difficult for people to pronounce the “th” sound correctly and I didn’t fancy having my children called Etel, Edit and Artur!

2 Cathryn March 21, 2014 at 2:18 pm

I have an Arthur….and all his friends struggle with the ‘th’ so he’s Ar-furrrr!!! I loved Edith too.

3 Sandra September 4, 2012 at 7:17 am

For some reason we ended up with a short list of girls’ names that were four letters long. We knew it was a girl because it was SUCH a hard won pregnancy that I really wanted to know him or her right.away long before I delivered.

So the short list was Nora, Lucy and Lily.

4 Victoria Regina September 4, 2012 at 7:22 am

I don’t have kids, but I really love the idea of the “names from our grandparents’ generation”, especially since in my family, they had some pretty great names: Elva, Hazel, Prudence, and Viola.

5 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Oooh. Those ARE great names, Victoria. Family trees are probably my favorite sources for name inspiration.

6 Maria @ Busy as a Bee in Paris September 4, 2012 at 7:31 am

My baby boy will be here in 2 1/2 months and we are far from finding a name as it must work in French and English and hopefully Spanish too! since we are an international family and want all of our family to be able to pronounce the name!

7 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:20 pm

So tricky, Maria! I’m sure you’ll settle on something lovely. It’s been fun for my kids to become familiar with the French pronunciation of their names — it’s like having an alternate name. They get a kick out of it.

8 Amity Courtois September 5, 2012 at 6:29 pm

We chose the name Cosmo because we needed a name that sounded the same and was spelled the same in English, Danish and French (it also works in German and Italian) so that all of my husband’s family could pronounce it. We love the name and so does our son!

9 jill September 4, 2012 at 7:38 am

I thought for sure I was having a girl… Gigi Bouvier. This name sounded like she would arrive wearing cashmere & a possible tiara. Instead we had a boy & decided he needed 3 names because I just couldn’t make up my mind. Luca Antonio Gustav. (Antonio after his daddy) Finding the perfect names was one of my favorites parts of pregnancy.

10 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:23 pm

“This name sounded like she would arrive wearing cashmere & a possible tiara.”

Hah. Hah! It totally sounds like that.

11 Mix September 4, 2012 at 7:38 am

I’m pregnant now with my first son, his name is Theo- but living in Brazil, it’s kinda very very different name… I just love the fact that the combo: jewish+living in Brazil could make awesome names, but my husband can’t even hear about it… My sister in law has her poland grandma name (Yoli) and as I understood, her and my husband kinda made a pact that none of their children will have unusal names. That made me lose: naama, naomi, liat, liora, noa, itay, beny, lior… I love almost all israeli names, but my husbadn thiks they’re hard to spell and understand around here…
I also love: Matilda, Magnolia, Valentina, Nina, and all those he also hates…

It’s really hard to find some great original names that don’t go around any soap opera’s actress (what is usual here in brazil),fashion model or funny stuff (we have here some people that don’t speak or understand english, but likes michael jackson or waltdisnei (from walt disney)- they usually think because it’s a foreign name, it’s fancy…)…

Reading your post I loooved the “names from our grandparents’ generation” theme, (actually Theo was my granpa nick name- theodore) but, when we first thought about it, they turned out to be so biblical and unpronunciable (poland names) that we gave up… hahahahahhaha

Love all your posts Gabrielle!!! <3

12 Amanda September 4, 2012 at 7:43 am

I have an Owen, Aidan, Loreena, and Isabel, but I also always wanted a boy named Aurelius (and nickname him Auri)… maybe someday! :)

13 Erica September 4, 2012 at 7:52 am

What a fun discussion. I love baby names! I too love the name Claire, but I am biased because it is my youngest daughter’s name:) My youngest is Claire Madeline, my son’s name is Brendan Wesley and my middle daughter is Alexandra Lauren. I hope that my children love their names as much as my husband and I do. I think choosing girl’s names are easy because there seem to be so many great choices. However, we had a difficult time choosing a name for our son. Brendan was the only name that we both liked:)

14 Crystal September 4, 2012 at 7:52 am

We have two sons. My favorite boy name has long been Louis. My husband’s fav name is Clark. Since we couldn’t have a Louis AND a Clark, the names canceled each other out and we went with Lincoln & Henry. :)

15 Deborah September 4, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Oooh, I get that. I LURVE what you came up with–it has the same feel as Louis (Lewis) and Clark!!!! Nicely played. :)

16 Amanda September 6, 2012 at 9:08 am

This brought a chuckle.. :) With our first born, twin boys (now almost 15 years old!) we didn’t know we were having twins. We had the name Mason chosen as our boy name. (We also didn’t know the gender of our assumed-single baby.) My mother-in-law scoffed at it & constantly said “They’re going to call him Mason Dixon!” As if pre-K-2nd graders are familiar with the Mason Dixon Line. ;)
Anyway, we joke that when we ended up with two and didn’t have a 2nd name yet, we should have gone with Dixon. (JUST in joking. That isn’t actually a name that tickles my fancy) :)

17 Abby@AppMtn September 4, 2012 at 8:05 am

Love this line: “A name our kids will discover as they get to know great books.” Our kids are Alex and Clio. Names that got away for girls are Theodora (Thora), Rosemary (Romy), and Isabeau. Oh, and Theodore for a boy – we couldn’t have Theo and Clio!

18 Norah September 4, 2012 at 8:15 am

I love the name Beatrice, but my husbands last name is Wear. Bea Wear is just too cruel. His last name knocks Phoebe and Toby off the list too.

19 SarahBeth September 4, 2012 at 10:30 am

Love it Norah! I announced to my husband that I had found the perfect name for our next child – Nell. Amidst giggles, he was quick to point out the Nell Nelson was bit much ;)

I also love the names of my grand & great-grand parents generation. I think we (particularly females) tend to steer clear of names common for our generation. It’s very easy to remember an Ashley, Jennifer, Stacey or Stephanie who wasn’t so nice to you in high school, but very difficult to think of an Ethel, Hazel or Eleanor as anything other than tender and sweet.

20 SarahBeth September 4, 2012 at 11:34 am

Whoops — just wanted to clarify that I know plenty of lovely Ashleys, Jennifers, Staceys and Stephanies!

21 leslie w. September 4, 2012 at 8:25 am

I always love to hear you talk about names. We also like Beatrice (my mom’s name) and Hazel (my grandmother’s name), but with our last name (Wessel — rhymes with ‘vessel’) we thought Hazel Wessel was a bit too rhyme-y. Beatrice (or Bea) is still on the short list, though. Our first is Nora and our second is Jonas (speaking of a name kids will discover as they get to know great books — one of the reasons we named him Jonas is because we both love the book “The Giver” by Lois Lowry). But we’re not done having kids, so I’m excited to see what we get to use still. I’d love to use Fern, Emmanuel (Manny), Atticus (another good book name!), Imogene, Kurt, and a few others! I think we may run out of kids before I run out of great names, though! :)

22 Lindsay September 4, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Wow – Jonas from “The Giver” what an awesome choice and fantastic book! And a treat for him when he reads it! Love it.
I’m due with my first son in January and we’re far from finding the perfect name.

23 Sarah September 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm

My grandmother was named Hazel too! I would love to someday give that name to a daughter. Luckily it doesn’t clash with our last name.

24 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Mmmm. Fern sounds so yummy to my ears right now. Possibly because June has been watching Charlotte’s Web. : )

25 Lucy September 4, 2012 at 8:30 am

My boy is named Marco, which I looove, but I wanted a middle name, Kenai, that daddy did not approve at all so it was left out :/…
Other named I liked were Milo and Luca, and if I ever have a girl she’ll be Live and as a middle name… possibly Summer…

26 Lucy September 4, 2012 at 8:31 am

*Liv, not live.

27 becky September 4, 2012 at 8:33 am

adelaide lucia (addie loo), oliver, henry…the list goes on. and yet my children ended up with names never on “my list” – but they felt right, so that’s how we ended up with luke and charlotte. well, actually charlotte came about because i married into the “brown family” and my sense of humor always outweighs my sense of taste – so, yes – we have a charlie brown (charlotte for future job applications – husbands are so boring!)

and for fun – my grandmother’s name is olive (still kicking and feisty at 90) and has a gagillion granddaughters and great-granddaughters that everyone wanted to name olive in her honor – and she REFUSED to let anyone take her name. she was the youngest of a bunch of girls named after flowers (rose, lilly, etc) and they had run out of names by her and thus – olive. she never saw it as a blessing. i love it – thus the boy name oliver is on my short list…it’s my clever way of getting around her edict :)

28 shelley Taylor September 4, 2012 at 8:41 am

I love how you never thought of the first/last name combo! When I was pregnant we told everyone the baby would be named Taylor, boy or girl, then watch them puzzle that one out (Taylor Taylor). We have two boys, Benjamin and William. A third boy would have been Henry–love that name! We never had girls, but they would have been Emma (I love the Bronte sisters!) or Grace.

29 elz September 4, 2012 at 8:49 am

I love what we named our two girls, but two of my favorite names “got away” Marielle and Lorelai. For the little conqueror we never had -Maximillian Frederick (family names).

30 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:26 pm

“For the little conqueror we never had”

That made me laugh!

31 Caro September 4, 2012 at 9:03 am

I had two boys only, so my favorite name that got away was a girl’s name that I had picked out before I was even pregnant: Anna Saskia (I am half Dutch, Saskia was Rembrandt’s wife’s name), also a bunch of boys’ names that sounded good in my native Spanish, but I am not a huge fan of in English: Gustavo, Sebastian among others.

32 angelb September 4, 2012 at 9:03 am

I always loved Trent for a boys name, but it is my husband’s last name and Trent Trent just seemed wrong. Although in utero we called my daughter Trent Carlos Trent for fun.

My “got away” names were Guy for a boy after my grandfather and Fay after my mother, but my husband has a “no family names” rule. Basically, if we ever used a family name, his mother would throw a fit for not using his grandmother’s name. But 1) she was a nasty person and 2) she hated her name so there was no way we were using it.

33 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I really like the name Guy. I remember a boy from my home town named Guy Loveless. I always wondered if he got teased for that name.

34 Barchbo September 4, 2012 at 9:06 am

TIMELY POST! THANKS! I am due today (though that’s not happening) and we haven’t chosen a name yet. I have to see a baby to choose a name but we spend a lot of time eliminating names!

We have an Archie so his sister’s name has to go with that – hopefully we will know it when we see her!

35 Amanda September 6, 2012 at 9:11 am

Our teenage boys play basketball against a kid named Archie every year.. I always think it’s such a nostalgic name! One with good character, that we don’t hear very often in current generations.
Best wishes with baby delivery!!

36 Cyndi September 4, 2012 at 9:24 am

When I was pregnant with our first child, we picked out the names Cameron and Delainey. That baby turned out to be Cameron, so we decided to hold on to Delainey for a future girl…and ended up getting a Jerame (pronouned Jeremy), a Brandon and an Evan! No girls for us and now we’re done. I’m thrilled with my little Army of boys but it seems strange that there will never be a Delainey for us.

37 Ellen W September 4, 2012 at 9:35 am

We didn’t find out the gender ahead of time for either of our kids and ended up with two girls’ names that got away – Hannah Grace and Annika Mariah. Our boys are named Paul Michael and Benjamin Lucas.

38 Christina @ Homemade Ocean September 4, 2012 at 9:35 am

I love older names as well!!!

Some of my favorites are Doris, Edith, Beatrice, and Eloise for the little ladies. Waylon and Jamieson for the gents.

39 Michelle September 4, 2012 at 9:42 am

I absolutely adore the name Valentine for a girl, and she is a good character in several books I hope my children will one day read. But I don’t think we’ll ever be able to use it because of a very unhappy connection with variants of that name on my husband’s side of the family.
I am currently pregnant with our third, and if we find out it’s a girl I’m going to be so very sad that Valentine is not an option… it’s the only name I really have my heart set on right now. And I think it goes so well with our other daughters: Ellie and Olivia. I love their names so much and think they suit them so well… I hope that I’m able to find more names I fall in love with just as much. (Which, of course, is why I’m reading all the comments on here.)

40 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:29 pm

One of my favorite sites for baby name searches is Nameberry.com. I just mention it, because I know you’re on the hunt, Michelle. I hope you find something you love every bit as much as Valentine.

41 Amanda Daybyday September 4, 2012 at 9:45 am

I have a similar story to your Claire one. I love the name Duncan (we have a lot of Scottish/English/Irish in our blood), but with a last name like Downey, my husband would have none of it. Sounds too much like Dunkin’ Donuts. Sigh…

42 Jen | Family Sponge September 4, 2012 at 9:46 am

My daughter is Clare… and luckily our last name made it possible to use without it sounded like a Dr. Seuss rhyme. :) We also picked names from a few generations back, and those that had history within our family. Our son Jackson is named after his great grandfather— and I love it.

Have you read the book Namesake? I read it while pregnant with my first and it really made me think hard about what to name my kids. I remember a month after my daughter was born, taking a shower and thinking that we named her the wrong thing. I didn’t feel like Clare should be her name— and it was a scary moment. Well, 3 years later I couldn’t be more sure of it. She is a Clare and I love that little Bear.

43 Ann September 7, 2012 at 5:47 am

My youngest is named Anissa which is uncommon here in Australia. I also remember feeling daunted when she was a few weeks old, that I had made a mistake by using that name. Now she is 17 and loves her name (as I do!) Many people comment on how pretty it is.

44 Chris September 4, 2012 at 9:56 am

Eleanor Mae (Nora)
Jane Meredith (Janey)
Genevieve Regina (a little bit cabbage patchy, so middle might have to change to some other Catholic name for Mary) (nickname?)
Mary Katherine (or Catherine) and call her Kate or Cait.

Who we do have…

Jacob Gregory
Clare Bernadette Marie
Maximilian Thomas
Abraham Leo Kebede
Jude Dominic
Magdalene Louise Miriam
Timothy Isaiah Zerihun

With five sons you can see why my only names to get away are girl names. My husband would have loved a Francis (Frank) or Charles, but both were past boyfriends of mine so I just couldn’t go there.

LOVE your children’s names.

45 SarahBeth September 4, 2012 at 10:33 am

Chris — amazing names!! In the Catholic vein, my husband and I are sweet on Augustin as well.

46 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:30 pm

“a little bit cabbage patchy”

Oh my goodness! That is hilarious. And I totally know what you mean.

47 Lindsay September 12, 2012 at 2:47 am

I like Vieve as a nickname for Genevieve.

48 Emily September 4, 2012 at 10:33 am

I have to laugh. My sister Claire married a man with the last name Bair. She could have been your Claire’s buddy.

I also like the older traditional names — Beatrice and Mabel being two I love. However, my long lost favorite girl name is Delphine.

Such fun to think about!

49 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:30 pm

They would have been besties for sure!

50 Sara September 4, 2012 at 10:34 am

I hope we’re not done having kids, but for our daughter we had picked out Margot Lynn or Alice Mae. She ended up Alice Renee (her daddy chose her name). Only after she was born did we find out that Alice was my husband’s grandmother’s middle name. I love that her name has a family connection. When we were deciding on names I was hoping for a family name, but none of the ones we found really stood out to us. Don’t know how we missed that Alice was a choice, but so happy things worked out as they did.

51 Autumn September 4, 2012 at 10:36 am

Im due with a little girl next week. Just yesterday my husband and I fell in love with the name Hazel. I love names from the 19teens. Violet was a contender too. It was fun to see Hazel on your list too!

52 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Two weeks is so soon! Best of luck with little Hazel.

53 TracieMcOB September 4, 2012 at 11:02 am

What a great post! I love this picture of your kids. Really beautiful – I had a couple of names that “got away” . I ended up with 2 boys (I don’t know how you do it with 6!) but for my 1st one, his father wanted Sean – I wanted Ian (both derivatives of “john”) but we decided that his initials SOB (O’Brien) wouldn’t be too kind ;-). He’s Andrew Dolan If I had had a girl – she would have been Devon Rose – instead that is my home furnishings business name – Devon Designs – my third “child” :)

54 sarah September 4, 2012 at 11:04 am

we are done, and got two boys…they were hard to compromise on. the girl name was so easy and settle on……for the first it would have been
Penelope Jane (with a nickname of PJ)
and for the second it would have been
Anslie Grey

oh well….

55 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I don’t know if I’ve heard Anslie before. It’s appealing!

56 Christine September 4, 2012 at 4:26 pm

My bestie’s first girl is Penelope Jane! I love the name

57 Jessica September 4, 2012 at 11:47 am

My husband and I have common names: Jessica and Jeff. We decided that when we had kids, we would name them something uncommon (but not difficult). We have two sons: Dade Elijah and Ronan Tobias. I love their names and they completely fit.
I really like old-school names that have become uncommon too, but I like twists. I like kinda boyish names for girls like Bradlee Taylor or Charlie Elizabeth. We never had girls, so we never got the chance to name them this! I also really love the name Henry for a boy. So cute!

58 Amanda September 6, 2012 at 9:14 am

I liked Charlie for a girl too, and really loved Scottie for a girl’s name.
My husband wouldn’t go for it.
We had 4 boys, and just one girl.. Lilly Drew. Lilly, beautiful like a flower, and Drew – meaning courageous & strong. It’s a mix that suits her well!

59 aldine September 4, 2012 at 11:51 am

My kids are Harper 16, Carling 8 and Finn 6. I love gigi, remy, poppy, and of course Oliver. Much to my surprise Harper is trendy now. When I named her Harper my Mother in law about fell over!!

60 Alexandria September 4, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I love to ask people this question. I’m completely happy with my daughter Saffron and my son Hugo’s names, but I secretly wish we were having more kids because I love choosing names so much. When I was pregnant with my son, we thought if it was a girl we’d name her Wembley Lara. Even though Wembley could be a boy’s name, it just wasn’t for us. We also liked India for a girl too and that was almost Saffron’s name. Other boy names I liked are: Ira, Saul, Miles and Oscar.

61 Na'ama September 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm

When I was pregnant with my second son I wanted to call him No’am (I’m Israeli and it is a biblical word in hebrew which means pleasantness, tenderness). I wasn’t sure about the name since it is a bit similar to my own name but when i was in labor in the hospital, while i was in contractions I spotted a religious book near the bed. the title was printed in gold on the brown: “Noam Elimelech” . In that moment it felt like a sign that this baby will be named Noam. later I found out that this book is considered to be helpful for women in labor and to give a safe and easy delivery.

62 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:33 pm

What a sweet story! I love finding “signs” like that.

63 Tara September 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm

We only ended up with our one precious boy so I have TONS of names that got away, LOL! Mainly girls names though as Jack was always my favorite boys name so we went with that. If we’d had another boy he would’ve been Finn Henry–those were the only other names on my short list.

For girls though the list is endless (and changes from time to time…..even though I KNOW I’m done having babies there’s always the (very) small chance we could adopt….maybe?!). My top 10 would include: Audrey, Daisy, Isobel, Isla, Hazel, Maia, Oonagh, Anabel, Beatrice and Scarlet. For years I loved Emma too, but then it became too popular for my liking unfortunately.

It’s a good thing we don’t live in the UK as I believe that Jack has been the #1 boys name for the past decade or so. While it’s not uncommon where we live at least I don’t hear it everywhere.

64 Janssen September 4, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I love Bronte for a girl but my sister-in-law’s name is Bronwen and my husband thinks those are too similar.

He also vetoed Blythe because he didn’t want to name a daughter after Gilbert Blythe (frankly, I can’t think of a better person to name a child after!).

65 Sarah W September 5, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Me neither, Janssen! I love Anne of Green Gables, so anything related to that I love! Plus, Blythe is just so beautiful!

66 Tracy September 4, 2012 at 12:35 pm

We have a William Abbot, a Kieran Edward, and a Gwen Claire. They are all named (at least in part) for their grandparents and great grandparents and I love their names.
But.
My go-to girl name has been Maeve Claire for as long as I can remember. When I was pregnant with Gwen, two other families in our tiny town welcomed new baby girls and named them Maeve! So we switched things up and found Gwen, and I absolutely love her name.
I didn’t want my Maeve to be one of three in her class, so I put that name on the back burner, but if I ever have another girl, I’d love to use it!
I also love Brigid (nn Birdie!) for a girl.

67 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Two other Maeves? What are the chances!

68 Kaely September 4, 2012 at 4:44 pm

We have a Brigid and I call her Birdie (or Little Bird). I love the name Maeve, but our last name starts with M and the alliteration was too much of a mouthful.

69 SEC September 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm

My names that got away are Beatrix (Bea) and Lorelai.

70 Kate September 4, 2012 at 12:53 pm

we have genevieve marie (evie), and twins john harrison (harry) and elisabeth lilly-rose (bette, or bea). we were going to name bea “amelie”, which our sister-in-law used a few months before we could :) i loved the names alixandra, josephine, and livingstone for a girl. for a boy, colin, edmund or edison.

71 Sara September 4, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Josephine is a pretty name, our friends just named their little girl it and call her Josie which I think is so cute!

72 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I think Josephine is a pretty name too! Ralph has a facebook friend named Josephine and I tease him that they’ll get married because I think the 2 names sound so nice together.

73 Kari September 4, 2012 at 12:54 pm

My names that got away -

Girls: Georgia, Vivian
Boys: Oliver, Spencer

74 Sara September 4, 2012 at 12:55 pm

We named our daughter Danika Grace (Grace is a family name)…I love the name Adrienne (but my husband said it reminded him of Rocky). Other contenders were Annika and Erika (obviously out for future siblings since they rhyme with Danika!) I also love names that end in -er, but since our last name does they are out since they rhyme (Sawyer, Conner, Taylor, etc.) Another name that I love is Allegra, but my husband said it reminds him of the allergy medicine.

75 isa September 5, 2012 at 12:55 am

We had Allegra on my husband’s list and HE had not realized it was a medicine. I had Marina on my list and he pointed out it is where boats park. We went through so many names not able to decide, so each of our kids have three first names and two last names! The names that got away: Imogen, Leila, Nina, Mathilde, Ticonderoga (!), Mordecai, Sebastian, Penelope, Josephine, Miles,Tibalt, Beryl, and the most recent (for a girl) Mnemosyne. I’m kind of sad I didn’t have the gumption at the last minute for that one!

76 lilcg September 4, 2012 at 1:34 pm

my daughter was lydia violet until she was born. she came out strawberry blonde with big blue eyes that I just felt were going to stay blue (but her coloring was something of a surprise as I was dark haired as a baby and my hair only settled on auburn after I was a few years old and my eyes are dark brown).

there was no way she was a lydia so I had to go back to the longer list from earlier and finally settled on luciana (with no middle name since there was a last minute request for two last names…). I miss lydia violet, but my daughter is very definitely a luciana (lucy and lulu for short).

77 Sue September 4, 2012 at 1:34 pm

When I was pregnant my husband and I used to joke that we’d name a girl Melpomene (Mel-POM-eh-nee – one of the Greek muses) but we had two boys. Now I think back, I think we actually would have done it. Pommy for short.

78 Design Mom September 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Oh. I really like Pommy for a nickname!

79 Fannie September 4, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I have one girl, Sabrina Louise, and we sometimes call her “Lulu” after her middle name. And there will be some more after her in the future at some point. My husband loves the name Zeke for a boy…. and I just don’t. So for him, that’s a name that got away. Also another name that got away for my husband is Asher. I like the name, but my husband ruined it with the nickname possibilties of Ash when he said, “Get your Ash out of the tree.” And other variations on that theme.
We also really like the names: Rogan for a boy, Andra and June for a girl.

80 jeana September 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm

We have Christian, Elle, Ava, Mae and Juniper Pearl (Junie).

My boy name that did not quite get away yet since all of my kids are begging me to have more, is Leif.

Some of the girl names we considered for Junie were: Olive, Beatrix (Bex), Suvi, Jane, Scout, Charlotte (Lotta), River, Lake, Bette, Lis, Clover, and Wren.

81 Shalise Obray September 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I’m having a boy, due Christmas Day. Had my heart set on ‘Grayson’ until it became trendy and I realized that ‘gray’ rhymed with our last name ‘Obray’. Our girls are Emeryn and Eden.

82 Deborah September 4, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I had quite a few names that we didn’t get to use. I found most of them on a picture hanging up at my mother in law’s house with faded tin types of past relatives. Levi was a standout, but alas, Cole didn’t look like a Levi. Now, I’m glad we didn’t pick it. Although Levis jeans aren’t super popular anymore, I think it could have been an easy teaser.

83 Design Mom September 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm

My brother’s name is Salem Levi Stanley. I’ve never asked him if he was teased for Levi. I guess Salem was an odd enough name that Levi seemed tame. : )

84 Sarah September 4, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with naming babies. So fun in theory, so difficult in reality! We have a Clara and are currently expecting baby #2 (gender unknown for one more week!) but we think it will be a Charlie (Charles), Henry, or possibly Betty if it’s a girl. Clara was my husband’s grandma and Betty is mine. We love looking to our family tree for inspiration. But one thing is sure — the name that will most definitely ‘get away’ (we’re not brave enough, despite it’s coolness) is my husband’s great grandfather Manly Horatio.

85 Trisha September 4, 2012 at 3:16 pm

This post made my day! What a lovely picture of your children too.

My kids are Lucas, Ezra, and Willa. Names that got away were Silas, Elliot, Abel, and Matilda. I’m not done yet and don’t completely count them out, but their time mostly feels past. Silas is the only one I really experience the occasional pang for at this point after all these years. Names at the top of my list that I think I might be able to get away with are Cleo, Maude, Zelda, Bess, and Felix.

86 amanda September 4, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I have a Silas (Brinkley), and I love his name, still, after eight years! Also a Ruby (Frances) that has turned out to be VERY popular -she has to go by her first and middle name, always (her best friend is also a Ruby). We gave both kids family names for their middle names. Sebastian and Lucia got away…

87 jessica September 5, 2012 at 10:38 am

I adore Lucas and Willa..
Lucas was on our list for a long time! And if we have a girl Willa will be a possibility, I have only met one Willa!

88 Sheila Kaminski September 4, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I have 5. Margaret Emma, Brigid Grace, Olivia Barry, Ella Kathleen, and Rose Patrick. When the writing was on the wall regarding boys, I was sad to give up Hank as a name. I always had girls names on hand and never boys. I could still name 5 more.

89 Design Mom September 5, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Hank is a great little boy’s name! I have a nephew that goes by Hank and he is adorable in every way.

90 Catherine September 4, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Love this discussion and hearing your name back story. Kind of jealous you had so many opportunities to decide! I had my one shot with my twins, but have heard so many other names since that I love. We used our Mom’s names Susan and Virginia for our girls’s middle names, though I also loved my grandmothers’ names June and Mae.

91 nicole i September 4, 2012 at 4:16 pm

jesse for a boy.
Matilda, Juniper and Ani for a girl.
The names that got away. But the 2 that made the cut…Judah and Cordelia.

92 Jenny September 4, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I love thinking about names! I currently have a Robert Duncan and Elizabeth Eleanor. We seem to wind up going for the classic British feeling names. My husband has an unusual name (at least it was when he was growing up, now I see it all over the place) and he really wanted our kids to have names that everyone would recognize and be able to pronounce. Lizzy is of course named after one of my favorite heroines (Elizabeth Bennet). We are hoping to have more kids, so I am hoping for an Evelyn (called Evie) and Katherine (called Kate) with maybe an Arthur, William or Charles thrown in there somewhere.

I have more kid names than how many kiddos I am planning to have! We thought girl names would be easier than boy names because there were so many more that we liked, but that just turned out to be harder because there were so many options!

93 Design Mom September 5, 2012 at 3:05 pm

“We thought girl names would be easier than boy names because there were so many more that we liked, but that just turned out to be harder because there were so many options!”

I think that’s so true! Picking boy names was easier for us too.

94 Kaely September 4, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Clara, Eloise, Eleanor, and Johanna were on my short list when Brigid was born. And she was almost named Lily or Lillian because the our water lilies bloomed for the first time the morning she was born.

On our short list for boys names were Liam, Ewan, and Heath.

95 Jen September 4, 2012 at 6:07 pm

This post reminds me of something that made me think of your family a few weeks ago- the CBS Sunday morning show did a piece on a “Betty” convention…I think in Nebraska- The Bettys were lamenting that their name, once so popular, had fallen out of style…it made me think your Betty could be their youngest member- and mascot. It might be a fun field trip when you return to the States!

96 Design Mom September 5, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Oh my goodness! I’m so glad you told me about the Betty Convention. That is fantastic. I need to search it and see if they have a website…

97 K September 4, 2012 at 7:22 pm

What a great post! I love names. We kept our daughter’s a secret until she was born just in case anyone had an opinion to share (her name is Mercy Naura).

Others I loved were Eden and Zoe. For boys, I love Jonas and Moses.

98 jessie hansen September 4, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Joseph Adam, kind of. Our first born is named from our fathers’ middle names. Our second was named for our mothers’ sides of the family, so our third and last we decided to name after us. My middle name is JoAnne, but in college I went by Jo and was called Joseph by my FHE Bros. His middle name is Adam. If we had a boy it was to be Joseph Adam but since we had a girl she is JoAnna Eve. So neither way would have been completely after us but I love the play of both names.

99 Sarah September 4, 2012 at 7:54 pm

It was fun to see that Mabel was one of your names that got away. My mom always regretted not naming one of us daughters Mabel after her mom. My husband and I don’t have any kids yet, but are hoping to very soon. I can’t wait to be parents and I love to talk about baby names with him. He will humor me, most of the time. Our last name is Evans, which is Welsh, and I’d like our possible future son to have a Welsh name like Rhys (pronounced ‘Reese’), Broderick, or Maddock/Maddox. As for girls’ names, I am a children’s librarian and am drawn to names of famous characters and authors, especially Charlotte, Louisa, Beatrix, Philippa (“Pippa” for short), and Hermione. I don’t know if I am brave enough to name my kid that last one though.

100 Design Mom September 5, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I’ve been wondering about the name Hermione. Do you think there was an increase or decrease in the usage since Harry Potter?

101 Jill September 4, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Such a great post! Love reading everyone’s baby names. I have a Hannah Jean and a Claire Marguerite. I, too, love old fashioned names. Their middle names are both family names, which I love. The ones that got away…Theodore and Zoe <3

102 Meredith September 4, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I don’t have kids yet but I have a feeling my favorite girl’s name will forever be the one that got away. I’ve love the name Eire Elizabeth forever. Eire is the Gaelic word for Ireland is pronounce “Air-a”. Elizabeth is after my Nana. I hesitate to go with Eire because no one will ever be able to spell or pronounce it. I’ve had a hard enough time with people spelling my name. I don’t want to do that to one of my kids. One of my favorite boys names has always been Declan but everyone in my family thinks of a friend’s dog that had the name. We’ll see what I come up with when it’s my turn for babies.

103 Liz September 4, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Hi Gabrielle,

I love this post! I mentioned this on my blog, hope you don’t mind. http://7bluedreams.com/2012/09/05/the-one-that-got-away/

104 Tola September 4, 2012 at 8:50 pm

i was blessed with only one child, and as i had gotten divorced from her father before she was born, and didnt remarry until she was 13, i was not going to be blessed with a second one. my father’s name is Frank, and his siblings were Frances, Louise, Edwin, and James. *if* i had had a second child, it would have been named either Frances Louise, or Frank Edwin James; nicknamed Frankie. but we have two cats, and their names are Ghealach Friday and Réalta Thirteen. Ghealach means “moon” in Gaelic; she was found on Good Friday in a full moon. Réalta means “star” in Gaelic; and she has thirteen toes on her front feet.

105 Colleen September 4, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Two names that I looooved when trying to name our little girl were Cecelia (think Simon and Garfunkel) and Naomi. They both got vetoed, sadly.

106 abbeyviolet (@abbeyviolet) September 4, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I do! We just had a baby 12 weeks ago and had a very difficult time naming him. I, for example, love the name Bennett— but already have a son named Brendan, and a husband named Brent so we deemed it too close. (The baby’s name is Everett Ambrose instead). We also have loved and let go – Bingham, Emmett, Wallace, Winston, Aubrietta, Belle, Violette, Liam, Dexter, & Declan, among others. For the record, we also have a daughter named Marguerite (Maggie) Jewel.

107 Joyce C September 5, 2012 at 5:46 pm

My son’s middle name is Ambrose too! He was named after my grandma Ambrosia and have never come across another Ambrose! Great name!

108 Beth September 4, 2012 at 10:15 pm

We are done having kids and while I like all of their names, if i could do it again, i think I may chose a different name for most of them. My grandfather recently passed away with my grandmother a few years earlier. I still have one grandfather left and now have such a wish that I had used all of my grandparents names as first names. I didn’t have the courage for a Mac (great grandfather), Ford (grandfather middle name), Marshall (grandfather first name) for my boys and while they all have nice names they are just that and I love the idea of having a really meaningful name of someone very special. Thankfully we did give them family middle names.

109 Portia September 4, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I like the name Daisy, but then I realized that her full name would be Daisy Buchanan. That won’t work.

110 Design Mom September 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Oh shucks! But I do love the name Daisy. My Grandma’s name is Daisy.

111 erin September 4, 2012 at 11:50 pm

i have a beatrice and a linus, but anastasia and hugo got away…

112 Kit September 5, 2012 at 2:07 am

Hi Gabrielle! I too adore your kids’ names. As a 17 year-old ‘name nerd’ I do give a lot of thought to these kinds of things, so perhaps it’s not a huge coincidence that I have wondered before what Blair names ‘got away’. Based on your choices I had guessed: Frank, Felix, Rufus, Hugo, Calvin & Walter for boys and Pearl, Hazel, Clara, Edith, Willa, Esme, Mabel & Alice for girls. It makes me very happy and just a bit smug to see that I did get a few right!

113 Design Mom September 5, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I think your guesses are awesome, Kit! If I can’t use them for my kids, maybe I’ll save them for future pets. : )

114 Nora September 5, 2012 at 2:41 am

I always loved the name Elsa, but when I started using it for my then unborn daughter it just didn’t feel right. I liked Flora as well, but it rhymes with my own name (Nora) and I didn’t like that idea :) So we went with Thea instead. If I ever have another, Elsa will definitely make the list again!

For a boy I always liked Ben (we couldn’t use that because my boyfriend’s name is Ben as well and he didn’t want a Ben Jr.).

115 Kate September 5, 2012 at 5:50 am

We have 3 girls. Hazel, Sadie and Elsie. I was so so sure our last baby was a boy (so sure I didn’t check for quite a few minutes) how surprised I was that the baby was not a Moss as I had planned. But oh how we love our Elsie.

116 Ashley F. September 5, 2012 at 6:10 am

Is it terrible that we don’t even have children yet, and I already have “names that got away”? Haha. My husband has already vetoed some of my favorites:

Genevieve
Mireille
Alice
Adelia
——————-
Atticus
Alaistair
Sebastian
Gideon

*Sigh* Such lovely names to let go. But, we’ve come to a compromise, and decided that our first child will either be Lathan Grey or Phoebe Kate.

117 Sian Bell September 5, 2012 at 6:28 am

Hi everyone, love this post and love so many of the “names that got away”. When I too young to even think about motherhood I wanted to name my baby girl (if I had one) Annabelle. My middle name is Ann after an aunt who passed away from cancer before I was born. But then I married and took my husbands name. Bell! So, no Annabelle Bell. When I was pregnant I read Mary Wesley’s Camomile Lawn and fell in love with the name Calypso. That is my name that got away as EVERYBODY in the whole wide world told me I’d be crazy to name my daughter Calypso. Except my husband who simply said “no way!” We named our baby girl Carys, which is Welsh for beloved and her middle name is Jane. My name, Sian is Welsh for Jane, which means gracious. And she is both beloved and gracious.

118 Amanda September 5, 2012 at 7:10 am

Love your “mental test.” It’s a great trick :)

119 Dena September 5, 2012 at 8:18 am

Hi all,
DesignMom, I like your comment about picturing your kids as 80 year old adults sitting around at a table, and the name needing to fit. You are so right. What may sound cute on a two year old, might not seem right for an adult, a business professional, etc. We chose Nolan for my son. It has always been important that my child wasn’t one of many in his/her kindergarten class, although the name Nolan has become increasingly more popular. My daughter’s name is Silvia. We chose to spell it with an “i” rather than a “y” because we felt it was more modern, and it is also the traditional spelling in italian. I am Italian. We call her Silvie for short. I like grownup names, which is why I really like your kids’ names :)

120 Design Mom September 5, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Silvie makes such a cute nickname.

121 Issa September 5, 2012 at 9:21 am

I love that…the names that got away. I am trying for a baby. Secondary fertility issues suck…but I’m still holding onto a few names.

Gone from the past though are some I still adore and just didn’t use. Beckett Charles. (Beckett is what I wanted to name my son, but my husband won that battle. I wouldn’t use it now, however I do love it.) Tristan Gabriel. Meghan, Isabella and Sydney.

Also I lost a baby and named her Piper. It is her name and always will be, but oh how I adore it.

122 mamalang September 5, 2012 at 10:11 am

My first pregnancy, everyone swore she was a boy except my stepdaughter and MIL. We had chosen a boy’s name (Nathanyl Christopher Hezekiah) and girls name (Josephine Alexandria Issybella)…my husband wanted them to have two middle names, and I was saving my vetos for crazy names so agreed. Who uses middle names much anyway? When I was in labor, I had this overwhelming feeling that if it was a girl, she had to have Issybella as her first name. The hubs thought I was crazy since it was so clearly a boy, but agreed. It is the perfect name for our now almost 14 year old. There weren’t a lot of Bella’s around then (thanks Twilight) but the spelling being different suits her so much. And it is so pretty to write out, all those loopy letters.

My next pregnancy, we found out it was a boy early on and his name was set as Nathanyl Christopher right away. And again his name suits him to a T. I know they are strange spellings, but he usually goes by Nate or Nathan anyway, and he loves that it’s spelled that way.

As a teenager, I always thought I would name my daughter Cassandra Bethany. I still love those names.

123 Ann September 5, 2012 at 10:29 am

We’re expecting our third and if it’s a girl, her name will likely be Claire… or Clare — hubby and I haven’t quite settled on this. It’s the only girl name we both seem to like. We never seem to have a problem with boy names. We’re still struggling with a middle name for Claire. It has to be some meaningful as opposed to just a name we like so we’ll be looking to family names or other names that are special to us for one reason or another.

124 Christine September 5, 2012 at 11:14 am

This is such a great post! And I’m loving reading all the comments above. Our son is adopted from Korea, so we wanted a name that was unusual around here… but not unheard of. And most importantly, it had to fit with his birth name. We ruled out every single name on our short list as soon as we saw his referral photo. And then it took us a month to land on the name that he carries today, Spencer Seojin. Our deciding factor?! Mocked up business cards for his career as a banker, computer genius, or rock star. (OK, so the last one was really a mocked up album cover…)

We’re in the process for child #2, so I don’t want to think about names that got away – yet! Although, I will never get my Beckett due to the fact that we live in Red Sox country and until recently, they had a pitcher named Josh Beckett.

125 Amy September 5, 2012 at 11:17 am

We have two daughters. Our little boy names that got away are Andrew Thomas & Owen Patrick. I wouldn’t trade my girls in for anything in the world… but sometimes I do wonder what it would have felt like to call out those names in our home!

126 Lamchops September 5, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I always have loved the name Beau. Only the hubby always said “NO” because our last name has eaux at the end. Stinks since I could not name a boy BO either. Boo hoo. I did end up with a Randall, Luke & Cooper. And they are just wonderful!

127 Lamchops September 5, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Oh & Scott, Oliver & Grayson for the middles. ;)

128 Megan September 5, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I loved reading this post and the comments!

Carter Jesse, Ruby Jane, and Amelia Lucy are my three kids’ names.

I have long lists, but off the top of my head, a few names that got away (or that I hope to pull from in the future) include:
Georgia, Hazel, Leila, Molly, Olive
Bennett, Caleb, Ezra, Miles, Oliver

129 Anneliese September 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Oh, that picture of your children is SO BEAUTIFUL! My top names that got away are Ada, specifically Ada Bliss, and August. Though I did manage to use Augusta as a middle name. I love British/Southern names like Georgiana and Imogen, and I also love the name Rowan–for a girl.

130 Rebekah September 5, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I have four kids. Delia, Milo, Eloise and Oliver

Both the girls had different names for a few hours and there are still times that I miss those names. Delia was Beatrice for almost a full day and frankly there are many things that still scream Beatrice to me about her. Eloise was alternately Clara and Mabel. Again, I see so much of a Mabel in her still that I try not to feel any namers remorse about her actual name.

The boy names I loved but never used. Felix, Charles and just plain old John.

Beatrice, Clara, Mabel, Felix, Charles, and John. Goodbye. May another family take you home and love you!

131 Kate September 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

We ha e an Erin Sophia who was very nearly Emilia Rose. Looking ahead to a future sibling I love Theo, Charlotte, Jonah, Molly, Teas, Piper, Pippa and Sanu. I know quite a few of these will be vetoed sadly!

132 Kaely September 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I like your name “test”. I had a couple of them. One was I practiced yelling it to see if it was something I could holler effectively. :) The second one was to try it out with serious job titles (Dr, The Honorable, Senator, etc.) to make sure that our names sounded like the responsible adults that we want them to grow into.

133 Tasha September 5, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Love your trial and error testing LOL

134 Tasha September 5, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Gabrielle was number one…that was it after a possible Bianca…but I had a son, hence, George who was named for his father…easy, done:)
I did go through a phase liking Remy (Italian) for a boy, but it never happened.

135 Siobhan September 5, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Saoirse…the Irish word for freedom. I already have my lovely Iris Siobhan and a Simon Jude. The kids have our first names as their middle names and use both of our last names, so each have 4 names. I am still waiting for my little Saoirse Ainthe Isolde. Saoirse is pronouced Sare-Sha or Seer-Sha, depending on your accent. And Ainthe is like Anya.

136 Jill September 5, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Libby, Scout and Angus are the names that got away ay my house. When looking into the family genealogy, don’t forget the towns or counties the families are from. My daughters are named after places. Logan county NC is where my grandfather was from.

137 Sonya September 6, 2012 at 11:38 am

Gabrielle – I never thought of names from our grandparents until I found your website, I like your reasoning behind the names and I like all of your children’s names.

I don’t have kids yet, and they’re really not on the horizon anytime soon, but I have always loved the name Sophie for a girl and it is actually a form of my name. I am kind of sad that it is quite popular now. My sister and I are Sonya and Leah and I appreciate that we have names that are not super common but they’re also not off the wall either. Other girl names that I like but don’t think I could get away with: Natalia and Natasha. When I get married next year my last name will be Riefenberg – no one can ever spell it or say it. So, I think when and if the time comes for children, we will go with simpler names. :)

138 Kasey September 6, 2012 at 11:40 am

So funny because my SIL is in the middle of trying to name her 2nd born and I am holding a name that baby contest. Love hearing all the suggestions. I love my kids names… Mason, Lola, and Fin

139 Sheri September 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I was as big as a house each time I was pregnant, so we were constantly asked if we were having twins (never happened, but it does run in the hubs family, lol). So our twin names would be the ones that got away…
Zoe Isabelle G.
Zane Alexander G.
and they would be nicknamed Zig and Zag (of course it would have also been dependant on who arrived first, lol).
As it is, I’m happy with who we did get…
Emily Jeanne G.
Sylvia Grace G.
The first names are ones I’ve loved (Emily of New Moon, anyone?) and the middle names were from my hubs and my favourite grandmothers.
What fun to reminesce about baby names!!

140 jen September 6, 2012 at 6:41 pm

the minute i got pregnant with my daughter my name radar was on full tilt. i had quite a few names in mind already as i think all girls tend to have. the top of my list was Tallulah {Lola} which my husband veto’d. for both my kids we had their names by 5 months old. firm. my daughter {since we didn’t know her sex – the umbilical cord was in the way} was to be Aydan Georgia Betty for a girl or Dax Nolan Anthony for a boy. alas she was Aydan. Georgia came from my husband wanting a song for her second name and it was between that or Caroline – i chose Georgia…and Betty was my grandmother’s name and i couldn’t think of a better way to keep her with us always. I just wished i had the guts like you to give her that for her first name. my only regret.
when my son was born we found out quite soon it was a boy and while watching the movie “the right stuff” one night my husband looked over and me and said “what do you think about Cooper Gus?” {after astronauts Gordo Cooper and Gus Grisam} and i looked back and said “i think i like it.” so he is Cooper Gus Anthony. if by chance he ended up being a girl the name was to be Savannah.
people asked why we didn’t go for Dax on round two but it just didn’t seem to fit anymore. i do have some names on the back burner though in case he stork strikes again: Savannah for a girl for sure, Andrew, Riley or Tad for a boy or maybe something real country club like like Preston.

141 Lindsey September 6, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Oh, I love this! For me it’s definitely Phoebe. Our second child was going to be Phoebe but then he was a boy … Alas. Eloise also one we almost named our daughter. In the end we went with a family name (Grace). I still think about my Phoebe, though!

142 carrie September 6, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I really wanted an “Otto,” (my granddad’s name) but kept having girls!!!

143 Chrissy September 6, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Ahhh…Emma. The little girl we never had. Three boys….the Syed is my husband’s Pakistani family name. All the men have it at the beginning of their name. It isn’t their first name though…it is just a family name. The second name is always the actual first name.
Syed Elijah Jamal (Jamal because the first son is always named after Daddy and Elijah because it was the ONLY name on the list that my husband liked…this became a trend for him…hardest person to pick a name with IN THE WORLD)

Syed Nathaniel Hunt (Hunt for my mom’s maiden name, to honor her and my grandparents and Nathaniel because I loved that and Daniel but Daniel is VERY common in Indianapolis and besides…”The Last of the Mohicans”…ahhhhh, love it)

Syed Alexander William (Alexander so I could call him Alec and William as a male version of Wilhelmina….my husband’s beloved grandma, Minnie)

A little girl would have been Emma Elizabeth or Caitlyn Elizabeth. Emma was my favorite, though. Just SO common right now. :/ So, we probably wouldn’t have picked it in the end.

144 katie September 7, 2012 at 12:03 am

We’ve got a little Mabel Ruth running around the house and it fits her perfectly. She was almost a Nanette, which I still adore, and sometimes I think I should have named her Alice (and called her Al). Boy names are so hard! I’m bookmarking this page for our next bundle…

145 Christa the BabbyMama September 7, 2012 at 9:21 am

I think we’re done having babies – too many rough pregnancies :( So this baby in residence would have been Evangelina, making that the beautiful name that got away. It was a combination of the name my hub and I chose and my daughter’s addition. So sad.