What Makes You Want to Create?

September 11, 2012

This post is brought to you by the new Art.com. Discover the art you love.

Sári, a reader in Budapest send me this video, and wrote: You should come to Budapest, Hungary! Its like a mini Paris, believe me. And we have painters and bars like this:

I love that video! I seem to love pretty much anything that highlights the creative process (that’s why I’m such a Project Runway fan).

Matisse’s giant cutouts have been a huge draw for me ever since I saw them in Washington D.C. as a college student. If you haven’t seen them in person, picture them 15 or 20 feet high! A huge part of what attracts me to the cut outs is thinking of Matisse with paper and scissors, cutting, trimming and re-cutting shapes until they are just right.

Most people don’t have a ton of brush-and-canvas painting experience (myself included), but I feel like anyone who has ever been a first grader knows what it means to sit still with paper and scissors and cut out shapes. So I see these pieces and hope they resonate with a lot of people. Personally, they make me want to grab my scissors and start making!

(Fun fact, the first print we framed and hung in our home as newlyweds is Femme a L’Amphore. When we’re not living in France, it still hangs in our home and I still adore it.)

Have you seen anything lately that made you want to create? I’d love to hear about it!

P.S. — Get 20% off all orders at Art.com through 9/13.

1 Janae @ Bring-Joy September 11, 2012 at 8:13 am

Paints & brushes make me drool. I studied art in college but since then, life + motherhood have gotten in the way & I don’t get artsy nearly enough! But some good paper, a freshly sharpened set of good colored pencils–these things inspire me.

2 Design Mom September 11, 2012 at 10:10 am

Sharp pencils are a big draw for me too.

3 Christa the BabbyMama September 11, 2012 at 8:22 am

It’s silly and not at all artistic, but lately I’ve been inspired by all the baby gear I see but can’t afford (if I want to have any chance at not going broke during my unpaid maternity leave). So we have fabric paint and onesies and I’m ready to go to town. Now if I could only find the time!

4 Design Mom September 11, 2012 at 10:10 am

Not silly at all, Christa! I’ll bet it will be really satisfying to sit down and work on those onesies.

5 rachel swartley September 11, 2012 at 8:30 am

Oh my. EVERYTHING makes me want to create! Going to visit a friend? I want to make a hostess gift. Kid loses his first tooth? I want to make a tooth fairy pillow. Having a baby? I want to make crib sheets. Need to send a thank-you note? I want to make the card. Going on a trip? I want to make personalized travel journals. LIFE inspires me to create.

For my six-year-old, a new pair of scissors for first grade inspired him to want to make something. “What can I cut?” were his words. So I drew some big letters to say WE (HEART) DADDY, he cut them out, and we strung them up by the fireplace.

6 Design Mom September 11, 2012 at 10:11 am

“LIFE inspires me to create.”

What a great comment, Rachel.

7 Elena September 11, 2012 at 12:16 pm

It is so funny that you just posted on this – I am an occupational therapy student (and new mama) with an undergrad in visual art – on one of my placements at a hospital unit devoted to patients in need of long term, extremely complex care, I guest ran an art group, which I based on Matisse’s cutouts! It was so wonderful, because all them members, none of whom had full command of their hands, were able to create mature, striking art pieces. I made a powerpoint introducing them to Matisse, and the best thing EVER was being able to show this photo – http://madamepickwickartblog.com/2010/12/henri-scissorhands/ – like Matisse, every member of the group used a wheelchair. Anyway, it is funny that you posted this today, because I just helped my sister repurpose my Matisse session for her grade 8 students first art lesson of the year, yesterday! Love Matisse, love the blog :) Oh, and in response to your question – your post on Dallas Clayton hugely made me want to create!

8 Design Mom September 11, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Wow! What a huge and wonderful coincidence, Elena. So fantastic!

9 Jennifer September 11, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I love the thought of making beautiful art from found objects and/or upcycled materials. I LOVE, love these pieces from Lee Gainer. http://www.ragandbone.com/blog/?p=1526

Saw them on Pinterest a while back and I’m determined to make one of my own!

10 Cheryl Burchett September 11, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Anyone see the TLC show Craft Wars this summer? My husband and I were on the first episode! (some details here:http://lydiaburchett.blogspot.com/2012/06/our-craft-wars-premier-party.html Our hope is that the show will inspire people to craft!

11 Michelle September 11, 2012 at 10:35 pm

My special project was finding a small gift for 130 employees’ birthdays that did not cost a thing. So origami inspiration led me to searching the internet. I found this simple paper flower from http://lollyrot-scrapbooking.blogspot.com (see flowers & tutorial video on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhh5TThlT54.) I think you’ll like it too. So far I’ve used one paperback book.

12 robyn September 12, 2012 at 8:05 am

being awake. i am never happier than when i’m making something. most of the time the only making is a 5 minute doodle session with one of my (numerous) sketchbooks, but i’ve realized that when i’m fidgety or agitated this totally calms me down. and if i’m really out of sorts, it’s probably because i haven’t made anything (except meals) for too long. it’s my me time, a chance to be in my own head for a while.

13 Tania September 12, 2012 at 8:26 am

Such a fun video! Thank you for sharing.
I’m drawn by all kinds of natural materials and junk lying around. I never come back from a lake/ocean shore without a fresh supply of pebbles, shells, or driftwood. It may or may not be piling up in the closet while I’m waiting for inspiration.
The other day I picked up two discarded wooden crates on the side of the road with grand plans to turn them into pretty rustic-style storage. I can get really excited about these kinds of projects and am so happy my husband supports me instead of writing me off as insane. :)

14 Anna September 12, 2012 at 10:21 am

Our neighbor was the former art editor of Time magazine in the 40s and 50s, and knew Matisse, Picasso…pretty much everyone there was to know in the art world during that time. Several years ago my husband and I had just returned from a long trip to Europe and told Alex of our pilgrimage to the chapel in Vence, known as the Matisse Chapel because of the murals and stained glass windows he designed. Alex then told us a great story of visiting Matisse in Nice and seeing the master sitting up in his bed surround by cut-out paper and scissors. Can you imagine?

15 Design Mom September 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Oh. Your comment gave me such a big grin, Anna. I’ve always imagined Matisse surrounded by cut paper, but I love that you can confirm it really happened. So great!

16 Anna September 14, 2012 at 8:30 am

Yes, I feel very lucky to live next door to such an amazing man. He’s in his 90s now and talking with him really makes art history come alive. You should hear his stories about Picasso…what a ladies’ man!