A Few Things

September 28, 2012

By Gabrielle.

Happy Weekend, Friends! How are you? Do you have anything you’re looking forward to this weekend? You’ll never guess what our big plans are: we’ll be working on our taxes. Woot!

We deferred our filing last April, and the new due date is October 15th. Have you ever deferred before? It always seems like a good idea to me in April, and then a really crummy idea in October! : ) It’s not that I mind the task — I actually enjoy that feeling of getting all my information organized. But who wants to think about taxes in the fall, when I could be daydreaming about French cottages instead? (By the way, we’re favoring the one above at the moment.)

To stay motivated, I keep reminding myself how good it will feel to get this task marked off my list. Fist-bump of solidarity to anyone else working on a not-favorite project this weekend!

While I crunch numbers and record receipts, here are a few things I’ve been wanting to share with you:

- This is going to be a very cool interview series! (+ more balance here.)

- Gold nugget magnets.

- Ralph sent me this video. It’s a good one!

- Fathers of girls.

- Umbrella sculpture.

- On my wishlist.

- Paint-dipped furniture.

- And I LOVED reading your comments about nicknames. Every single one brought a grin! Thank you for that.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — I’ll be waving goodbye to September and welcoming October on Pinterest with some gorgeous Fall picks (and Halloween stuff too!). Come see.

1 Jane B. September 28, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Taxes! As a CPA, I’ve always been curious about your situation… do you file for the Foreign Earned Income exclusion since most of your income is earned while you’re outside the US? Seems like you’d be able to avoid state income taxes as well since you’re not technically a CO resident anymore for tax purposes (or don’t have to be).

For people considering a similar move abroad, the (potentially positive) tax implications could factor into their decision making process.

2 Emily September 28, 2012 at 1:34 pm

That video with the toy train was super cute! Thanks for sharing it!

3 Meg September 28, 2012 at 6:42 pm

We have a fun weekend ahead. We started off this evening with a visit to a corn maze with our two year old. The weather couldn’t be better (25 Celsius at the end of September in Canada?!?!).

We are celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary on the weekend with our first date since the birth of our daughter (she is two months old today) and some macarons. We haven’t had any since we were in Paris in 2009! They’re hard to find here.

PS I loved your post about old fashioned names. We named our daughter Daphne Cordelia for that same reason.

4 Lori September 28, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I’ll bump you for not-favorite projects. I have just resigned from a very unhappy job. This means I will be packing/selling/donating everything in my home over the next frenzied week. This will be my second time doing so this year. I just need to buckle down, and get it done. (Kinda like taxes, too.) Soon, I can at least sigh in relief.

5 Lori September 28, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Oh wow, second time moving…not leaving a job. I need rest already!

6 michelle September 29, 2012 at 9:32 am

I’m so curious, have you decided to stay in Europe indefinitely?

7 Kristin McNamara Freeman September 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Doing the paperwork around filing of taxes, no matter when, is a tedious task. I try ever so hard to keep that file up to date on the last day of every month..then the big work seems less a chore to me.

Love the photo of the cottage in this post! There is something wonderful about the structure of the stones/bricks used to create the building that calls out for time to spend within ….looking forward to your writing more about this search and seeing what you decide.

Kristin

8 Karen P. September 29, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Awesome video!

9 l o v e l y t h i n g s October 1, 2012 at 9:25 am

I loved the video…my son Patrick (8th grade, is that the same as Ralph)?anyway…is home sick today and I just sat down next to him and we watched it and loved it! Could not have come on a a better day! Thank you!
annie