A Few Things

September 7, 2012

Hello, Friends. How are you? Did this week run away from anyone else? Or is it just me? I told you I would share a report from our Swiss trip, plus our back to school photos, and I haven’t posted either. Oh dear! But on the bright side, I made a little dent in my inbox. Which is something!

I’m really looking forward to the weekend. Our kids have sign up sessions for their fall extra-curricular activities — stuff like dance, trombone, horseback riding and tennis lessons. I’m sure it will be busy and full. And I’m sure my lack of French will ensure I misunderstand at least half of the instructions we receive. : ) How about you? Any fun plans for this lovely September? Maybe some apple or peach or blackberry picking?

While I map out the weekend schedule, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:
-A la la lovely little girl’s room. Dancing unicorn included.
- A sweet way to tell someone they mean more to you than the Sun and the Moon. And even Saturn.
- Vote for your favorite American Made artisan!
- Animal badges to make with your kids.
- The Diminutive Review. A new blog focused on finding beautiful children’s clothing at deeply discounted prices.
- Fabric on the walls instead of paper.
- Have you entered the $5000 Pottery Barn Kids Sweepstakes? You could win a design consultation with me!
- Find a new artist featured on the excellent site, Wondereur. (And she’s a mom!). Plus, they built a web app, so now you can access their great content even without an iPad.

I also write for Babble. Here are some fun slideshows I put together this week:
- 22 Ideas for Creating a Gallery Wall.
- Inspiring Nursery Decor — projects you can make yourself.
- Scarf Style. Don’t be intimidated by wearing scarves. I’ve gathered tons of great ideas.
- Decorate for Fall! DIY ideas you’ll love.
- Are your kids already talking Halloween? Mine too. Here are clever costume ideas to get you inspired.

I hope you have a marvelous late summer/early fall weekend! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. – We did a little more cottage hunting this week. One house featured that staircase above. It’s still on my mind…

1 rachel swartley September 7, 2012 at 9:11 am

It’s kind of shocking how quickly an inbox can spiral out of control, isn’t it?

My weekend plans include a picnic, a baseball game, and my husband’s 40th birthday party. Sounds perfect to me!

2 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag September 7, 2012 at 9:38 am

Ha ha ha, I’m still chuckling about you misunderstanding half of the French instructions you receive — I feel like I do that even when they are in English! :)

That Wondereur site is incredible…..

3 Design Mom September 7, 2012 at 10:09 am

I wish it was a joke. : ) Part of living here for me, means constantly being unclear of what in the world is going on. When we move back, I hope I will be endlessly compassionate toward my friends and neighbors who are learning a English. People have been so kind to me here!

4 Heidi September 7, 2012 at 7:48 pm

if you have the time (and you probably don’t) the best way for me to learn another language was to watch re-runs that had been voiced over. This way, I knew what was being said, and my brain seemed to soak up the new language. (I was watching Cosby show reruns!) And my best trick was “when in doubt, say the English word with an accent! Of course, that didn’t help me understand what other people were saying, but sometimes it helped me to get my words out.

5 kelsey September 7, 2012 at 9:42 am

Thank you for including our DIY nursery canvas in your Babble post! I am so honored.

6 jessica September 7, 2012 at 9:53 am

thanks for sharing the gallery wall from babble. I have been tiptoeing my way towards attempting one… but have seen so many that look more a mess than creative. I think I am going to go for all one color frames to keep the look somewhat uniform.

7 Design Mom September 7, 2012 at 10:10 am

I hear you. Gallery walls can look great, or not so great. It can be intimidating to get started. But totally worth it!

8 Natalie September 7, 2012 at 10:01 am

Thank you for including The Diminutive Review this week, Gabrielle!

9 Jenna at Homeslice September 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Oo I love the Dimunitive Review… at least what I read so far :) Thanks for the heads up!

10 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux September 7, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Ah, yes…the French sign up of activities…we’ve been doing that all week. And how about the medical certificate for each specific activity? It’s okay if you only understand half the French…what I’ve chuckled at several times this year is when even the French are confused about the instructions. I often say to my husband – I feel better when I know it’s not a translation issue – just a communication issue and everyone is lost. It tends to happen a lot here! I have lots of stories. Thanks for lots of good links…already checked out a few – ! Have an awesome weekend!

11 Stella September 8, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Ever since I lived in Europe (4 months in Spain & 18 months in Romania) I have been obsessed with scarves!! They really are the greatest accessory and Europeans really know how to rock them. Thanks for reminding me to pull out my scarves box. It’s been hiding all winter!

12 l o v e l y t h i n g s September 10, 2012 at 6:08 am

You had me at staircase….the rest of the cottage has to have endless possibility if the staircase looks as lovely as this!