The Perfect Gift: Letter Cookie Gift Bag

August 28, 2012

DIY Alphabet Cookies for Teacher

This post is sponsored by Nestlé® Toll House® Morsels, the perfect special ingredient for all of your family’s favorite treats!

Hey. The school year is long. And it never hurts to try and get on the teacher’s good side early on. : ) So I asked Amy of This Heart of Mine to create a sweet back-to-school gift for teachers — something fun you can bake with your kids! (Take note: the squeeze bottles are genius.) — Gabrielle

DIY Alphabet Cookies for Teacher

Another summer is at its end and school’s start is coming soon (or maybe it’s already begun!). It’s hard to part with the lazy days of summer, for student and teacher alike. Lucky students, they get new gear, new backpacks, new pencils, maybe new clothes if there was some summer growth. Teachers might get a few new materials too, but why not help start their year with a little extra sweetness?

Letter cookies have to be one of the cutest things ever! After some frustration with another set, I found and liked this set (and it has so many more for the rest of the year). I used this recipe (the sugar cookies one) and was extremely happy with it. Easy to make, easy to use, and the results were sweet indeed.

DIY Alphabet Cookies for Teacher

As for the frosting, it’s an unmeasured mix of powdered/confectioner’s sugar, vanilla or almond extract and milk, stirred together into a not too thick, not too thin frosting. I added food coloring to make fun tones. Then, using squeeze bottles, I topped off the cookies. If you don’t have squeeze bottles, a spoon and a guiding finger works too.

DIY Alphabet Cookies for Teacher

While the frosting is setting (give them a good 24 hours or more, depending on the thickness and consistency of the frosting), a lovely treat bag can be made. Muslin bags make for a perfect blank canvas for any type of gifting. You can find them in various craft stores or online here. Or, in my case, make them yourself.

Old-school hand-writing practice lines add just the right touch of ‘school’ to the bags. I used acrylic paints and free-hand painted the lines on.

DIY Alphabet Cookies for Teacher

Leave the lines blank or add your own message. Let it completely dry.

DIY Alphabet Cookies for Teacher

When all the parts are ready, get them together and have some fun. Pack the bags with the teacher’s name.

DIY Alphabet Cookies for Teacher

Or fill it with a fun message.

DIY Alphabet Cookies for Teacher

Or, if you want to be extra sweet, give the whole alphabet!

DIY Alphabet Cookies for Teacher

Whatever you choose, it will surely start the year off right.

———

THIS IDEA WOULD ALSO BE GREAT FOR:
- Treats or favors for a birthday party with a “school” theme — even invitations!
- A gift for your favorite new kindergartener.
- A fun way to send a secret message, or for a teenager to ask someone to a big dance. The recipient could unscramble the letters to find the word(s).

P.S. — Want more ideas? You can find all the Perfect Gift posts here.

1 jessie hansen August 28, 2012 at 7:12 am

I should make some teacher gifts.

2 Barchbo August 28, 2012 at 7:50 am

I make alphabet cookies for my nieces and nephews for the birthday – I spell out Happy Birthday + their name. Always a hit!

3 amy c August 28, 2012 at 9:08 am

Great idea! Might have to steal that one for my niece and nephew. Thanks for sharing!

4 Bellenza Bistro August 28, 2012 at 8:24 am

Was thinking along the same line of your ideas for favors…Maybe cookies spelling the names of each little guest at a toddler’s party?

5 amy c August 28, 2012 at 9:10 am

I like this idea too! A personalized gift that doesn’t end up at the bottom of the toy bin or junk drawer. Wonderful!

6 Christina @ Homemade Ocean August 28, 2012 at 9:11 am

Those look delish!!!!

7 CMN August 28, 2012 at 10:02 am

Absolutely brilliant! Thanks for sharing the idea, Amy — and for providing such delightful images to go with it!

8 amy c August 28, 2012 at 10:32 am

thank you! how sweet!

9 Damaris @Kitchen Corners August 28, 2012 at 11:00 am

I have the exact same cookie cutter set and recently I also bout the Muji set http://www.muji.us/store/kitchen/kitchen-tools/stainless-cookie-cutter-26-characters-set.html which I like even more. I ended up giving away most of the plastic cookie cutters just because I didn’t use it, and I have limited storage. If you want just an alphabet set I recommend the Muji.

p.s- The squeeze bottle is totally genius! I’m picking some up today.

10 amy c August 28, 2012 at 11:48 am

Oh I do like that letter set! Thank you for sharing. Good luck with your cookie making.

11 Dale Coykendall August 28, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Great memories, when my daughter was in kindergarten we baked cookies for the “letter of the day” Took the teacher just a minute to see what we’d schemed up . I am reminded when I pull out my collection of cutters (now only at Christmas) and wonder what a frog and a foot are doing in there !
Dale

12 the sleepy time gal August 28, 2012 at 6:58 pm

awesome idea! i’ve been eyeing that alphabet cookie cutter set for some time now. thanks for sharing!

13 jessica August 30, 2012 at 10:04 am

AH! I just ordered the cookie cutter kit and bags from Amazon! Im sending these sweet treats to my daring niece and nephew as they start the new school year! so fun.

14 Stephanie @ Henry Happened August 31, 2012 at 11:33 am

how cute! I just love this idea!

15 Anita September 17, 2012 at 11:26 am

Hi, Do you have any tips for getting the icing into the squeeze bottle? I found that to be incredibly challenging! Thank you

16 amy c September 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Thanks for your question Anita! First, you could invest in a small plastic funnel. I’m actually thinking about getting one for this issue as well as many other pouring projects. However, I mixed up my frosting in a glass measure cup with a pour spout and was able to then pour/guide the frosting into the squeeze bottle with that. Does that help?
Happy squeezing!

17 The Loot Lady February 28, 2013 at 5:54 am

A designer cookie bag can be best gift for people like your teachers and parents. This bag will surely make them remember your days of childhood. This gift will make the life of people around you’re happy and cheerful.