Leotards

August 2, 2012

How smitten are you with the USA women’s gymnastics team? Fierce and sweet and sparkly even to the top row in the Olympic arena, they’re champions and friends through and through. Did you watch them win the Team Gold? Aren’t you dying to know how those leotards stay in place no matter what flip or twist is performed? No tugging, no riding up, and everything showing…without everything showing!

If your curiosity is anything like mine, you’ll love this article. Those leotards take over a year and a half from concept to product, are decorated with thousands of Swarovski crystals, and are much like a wedding dress: no one on the team wants you to see theirs until the big day!

It all makes me want to do cartwheels around La Cressonnière in a bedazzled leotard. I wonder how many girls — and women! — are searching for a gymnastics program right now? I know I’m interested! Is anyone in your house flipping over gymnastics?

Incredibly cool time lapse found here.

P.S. — The Olympics are so close to us! We decided to roadtrip to London this weekend to enjoy some of the Olympic atmosphere. We don’t have tickets to any events, but hopefully it will be awesome anyway.

1 Lori H August 2, 2012 at 5:02 am

Thanks for sharing the leotard article. It’s cool to know some inside info!

2 C August 2, 2012 at 5:04 am

The atmosphere is amazing here in London at the moment, just walking around everyone is decked out in their team colours and smiling! Definitely worth a roadtrip. So proud of my lovely city!

3 Victoria August 2, 2012 at 5:05 am

We’ve been watching as a family almost every night: gymnastics, swimming, diving, volleyball…we’re hooked! Women’s gymnastics is so special to me, though, as I was 3 when Nadia Comenici got that firt 10, and it was love; I just wanted to be her. I spent the next few months practicing splits and headstands and eventually ended up in ballet class where that love continued.

4 Sonya August 2, 2012 at 7:22 am

I can’t wait to read that article! I did gymnastics as a kid and into high school and I am still such a fangirl and a major Olympics nut. I am probably the most annoying person the planet when it comes to the Olympics. And yes, I do want to get back into gymnastics every time I watch a meet. The USA girls had such pretty leotards, all of the teams did (but I can’t wait to see what they wear today in the AA!) and I am just smitten with them all. So cute and positive and such strong competitors!

5 Sarah August 2, 2012 at 7:25 am

Super interesting article! I’ve often wondered how they stay in place!

6 Tan August 2, 2012 at 7:57 am

I’m so excited you’re all heading to London! I went over to Vancouver for the olympics and the atmosphere was just in-credible. Everyone was so spirited and it was like hanging out with 1000′s of your best friends.
Have an amazing time!

7 julia g blair August 2, 2012 at 8:01 am

So glad you’re safely home and even ready for another trip! I love the Olympics.
Inspiring to actually see the marvel of the human body. It is a magnificent machine, or certainly can be! Do you have new i-phones? Hope so.

I’m impressed with the sportsmanship displayed as well as the marvelous discipline and team loyalty. I’m proud of Team USA and all of the others.

8 bdaiss August 2, 2012 at 8:56 am

Wow! That’s interesting! And I love the stop motion videos they’ve been doing this year – the ones of the divers are incredible!

Our kids are signed up for gymnastics! My son took a class last year and loved it (our girl wasn’t old enough yet). Both of them will start classes in September. If you were enrolled last year, you were allowed an early registration – our school is expecting huge numbers because of the Olympics! Now, to make sure the soon-to-be-3-year-old is potty trained before then!

9 Barchbo August 2, 2012 at 8:57 am

How fun to be off to London! My family went to the Atlanta Games in 1996 and we all agree that the atmosphere was once-in-a-lifetime! Have fun!

This year’s Women’s Gymnastics Team seems especially charming and darling! I really like them! Also, I like to watch gymnastics but it also makes me a bit sad. My sister was a competitive gymnast and was very good – good enough that Bela Karolyi came to the gym to watch her. After she worked out for him, she met him and in the course of their brief chat he leaned over, squeezed her stomach, and said, “No more cheeseburgers!” She was 10. We have discussed the gymnastics culture often over the years and while I don’t want to detract from the wonderful girls, their dedication, and their excellence, it CAN be a brutal road. My sister ended up in the Olympic Development Program for soccer so she has a lot to say on the differences in culture (but that they are both pretty political.) All that to say: I think about the girls a lot while they are performing and that I hope they are happy, peaceful girls. :)

10 katharine August 2, 2012 at 9:04 am

My granddaughter was over yesterday and found an old leotard of mine in the dress up box and wore it most of the day. She found a sparkly pin in her “jewelry ” dress up stuff and had me attach it in the back so it fit!

11 Holly August 2, 2012 at 9:10 am

My two year old is very excited about the Olympics. After watching gymnastics, he hasn’t stopped doing somersaults. And when we watched the men’s synchronized diving, he stripped down to his diaper so he’d have the same outfit.

12 Victoria Regina August 2, 2012 at 9:34 am

I’ve been watching a lot of the Olympics (HELLO, men’s synchronized diving!), and when I was younger I desperately wanted to be a gymnast: sparkly leotard, sparkly scrunchie, the whole nine yards. Sadly, ballet was not an Olympic sport, so that never panned out like I’d hoped. But those girls are so amazing, and it’s great to see them excel.

13 Shradha August 2, 2012 at 9:57 am

We just signed our 3.5 year old daughter for Gymnastics, and she loves loves loves it! With the jumping, tumbling, trampoline, and climbing, it feels like a giant mattress where she can do anything without getting in trouble (or hurt!). I’m looking forward to her first competition when she gets to wear a leotard!

14 Bri (like the cheese) August 2, 2012 at 10:17 am

My kids are all caught up in the Olympics and I love it! They were attempting their own versions of gymnasics last night, which led me to wonder how many people (non-athletes) end up with injuries during the Olymic games from attempting things they have seen!!

15 Jen G August 2, 2012 at 10:22 am

My daighter just finished her first year of competitive gymnastics (acro-gymnastics specifically, which is not yet an Olympic event). I was SHOCKED at the price of her competition leotard! Intricately designed, hand applied crystals, hand wash only – of course. The higher level kids have up to three each.

And yes, we bought a bottle of butt glue to keep everything in place. :)

LOVED watching those girls win gold. They are amazing!!

16 Robin k August 2, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I’m excited you’re going to London! Enjoy. I bet the atmosphere will be fantastic.

17 Megan - pretty things for parties August 2, 2012 at 1:39 pm

We just had the same conversation in our house! “How do they not get wedgies?” is what my daughter asked! I almost choked when I saw you had written about it! Great one! You really know whats on our minds!!

18 Melinda August 2, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Our eight-year-old daughter has been in gymnastics for the past 3 years. She loves it so much and would live at the gym if we let her. I only wish it wasn’t such a time-consuming/expensive sport. These girls spend their entire childhoods in this sport and there’s a pretty hefty price tag. Our family has been loving the Olympics. Especially the gymnastics!

19 how2home August 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm

That is an awesome picture!

20 CMN August 2, 2012 at 5:13 pm

G -
I’m ‘parked’ in London this week for the Olympics too! A couple of quick tips from the week…
1) new tix are being released daily, as the IOC turns in tix they aren’t using. So chances are good you might find something! Tix are ONLY available on line (london2012.com) and cannot be purchased at the venues.
2) access to the Olympic Park requires tix for events happening IN the park
3) public transport has been AWESOME all week! No concerns whatsoever with using the Tube or buses… They are so on top of crowd/capacity management. It’s great!
4) security at the venues is tight — like airport-level security, with X-ray and scanners. On the plus side though, they’ve got at least 20 stations at every venue we’ve been to so far and we literally walked right up! Easy-peasy. Everyone is cheerful and pleasant, so expect a good experience.
5) No liquids allowed through security, so bring empty water bottles to fill once you get inside.
6) LIVE coverage is available online via the BBC…. And/or you can catch the jumbotron

21 CMN August 2, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Jumbo tron viewing at major parks… Pick up a Union Jack ground blanket at Marks & Spencer’s Simply Foods outlet for about 3 quid and enjoy an afternoon Olympic picnic at Hyde Park! My nephews have been loving it!

Hope you enjoy a fabulous weekend…. Be sure to wave! LOL
- C

22 julie @ duet letterpress August 3, 2012 at 2:26 pm

funny, i was just talking about this to my husband!
we’ve been watching the olympics as a family and em has really taken a liking to them! especially diving and gymnastics.

23 Bekah Palmer August 11, 2012 at 7:07 pm

The GK leos are great quality. My cousin posted a picture of her daughter in a hand me down leo from her cousin, Kyla Ross, wore when she was a kid!