Grandma Rudi

August 8, 2012

My Grandma Rudi passed away last night. Ben Blair saw the news on our family facebook page just after midnight. She has been weak for a while, but I still felt shocked at the news and had to cry myself to sleep last night.

Things I’ve been thinking about since I woke up:

- Turtlenecks. Rudi would buy them in several different colors and wear them all winter. I have the exact same instinct. From September through April, I have to remind myself to wear things that aren’t turtlenecks.

- The News. My curiosity about what’s going on, at all times, everywhere, comes from my dad. And he inherited it from Grandma Rudi.

- Christmas Stockings. Rudi, born Ruth Shainwald, was Jewish, but I never knew her as religious, nor learned any Jewish traditions from her. In fact, gorgeous handmade Christmas stockings for the great-grandchildren — painstakingly cross-stitched by herself — were her signature gift. Poor Grandma! I don’t think she bargained for 28 great-grandchildren (and counting) when she started the tradition. (That’s a lot of great-grandchildren!) FYI: As her eyesight and ability to do handwork waned over the last few years, my sister Sara took up the stocking torch — no great-grandchild left behind!

- Yellow. It was Rudi’s favorite color, and I found myself pinning yellow things this morning. When I realized what I was doing, I became more intentional about it and filled my pins page with beautiful yellow images. (Feel free to pin something yellow for Grandma Rudi today. : )

- My Father. As I’ve mentioned before, my father died when I was pregnant with Ralph, 14 years ago. Grandma Rudi dying feels like somehow my father is even further from me now. Another connection gone.

- Challenges. I know Grandma had a lot of hard things in her life. Her mother was cruel to her. There was divorce and remarriage and shared custody of 4 children — at a time when divorce was rare and there wasn’t much in the way of models or support. There were heartbreaks, death and loss, even in my lifetime, that I’m sure were at times unbearable for her. But she never struck me as someone who felt worn down by life.

- Embracing Life. She had strong opinions, and embraced social, cultural, and technological changes. I remember showing her my first iPhone, and she was delighted to see it, but more, she wanted IN on the latest. She wanted to hold it, try it out, play with it. She had an enthusiasm for life that I think all her children and grandchildren have inherited to some degree. I hope I can pass it on to my own kids.

Good bye, Grandma Rudi. Thank you.

P.S. — Do you wear yellow socks? I always keep a pair or two in my dresser. And they always make me think of Grandma Rudi and my dad. I picked up the stripey pair at the Gap when we were in Colorado last month.

1 ris August 8, 2012 at 7:01 am

Oh Gabrielle I’m so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful, amazing woman, and I loved reading your thoughts and memories of her.

2 Helen August 8, 2012 at 7:08 am

My deepest sympathies Gabrielle. I hope you find solace being with your wonderful family.

3 Kat August 8, 2012 at 7:27 am

I’m sorry for your loss. My thoughts goes out to you and your family

4 Yamila August 8, 2012 at 7:31 am

I am so sorry to hear. Both my gandma’s passed away while I was overseas. I miss them so, this happened in 2006 both, just before I fell pregnant with my first child and their first great grand child. My grandmother Abuela Sara was Jewish and a wonderful woman and midwife ahead of her time. I was very close to her. She was in love till the end with my grandfather Ruben, he passed away a month ago too. I miss them and hope somehow now thy are reunited. My other grandmother was Italian catholic yet she married my grandfather who was also Jewish. She cooked Italian food, simple yet delicious dishes. You write so sweetly from the heart. Take care xx

5 liz r. August 8, 2012 at 7:33 am

What beautiful memories of your grandma. My condolences to you and your family.

6 The New Diplomats Wife August 8, 2012 at 7:39 am

a very beautiful collection of memories and lessons, i am sorry for your loss.

7 megan August 8, 2012 at 7:39 am

I’m so sorry for your loss.
What a beautiful post regarding all the things that made her special to you.

*hugs*

8 Sandra Gonzales August 8, 2012 at 7:39 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. I think there is something very special about grandmas. I lost mine when I was 11 but to this day it brings me to tears when I think how I used to wrap my arms around her and bury my face in her dress. I felt so safe and loved. I’m glad you felt the same way about your grandma.

9 pemora August 8, 2012 at 7:40 am

this was a wonderful post. i am very sorry for your loss….

10 Giulia August 8, 2012 at 7:46 am

So sorry for your loss. Wonderful memories.

11 rachel swartley August 8, 2012 at 8:07 am

Beautiful, Gabby. She sounds wonderful.

All of my grandparents were gone by the time I was 15, and I often wish I would have had the opportunity to know them as an adult. I’m sure you gained insights into your Grandma Rudi’s life in your adulthood that you wouldn’t have noticed from your childhood perspective. What a gift her long life was to you!

12 Heather Young August 8, 2012 at 8:17 am

She sounds wonderful! Just remember she is part of who you are and that can’t die.

13 Sonya August 8, 2012 at 8:18 am

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. What a lovely tribute to your Grandma Rudi though, I feel like I know her a little bit after you have described her. May your Grandma Rudi rest in peace.

14 JR August 8, 2012 at 8:18 am

Yellow – it is such an antidote. Maybe that’s why it goes so well with grey.
My condolences to your family.

15 Grace August 8, 2012 at 8:19 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. Your Grandma Rudi sounds like such a special woman and I loved reading your thoughts on her. I will be sure to pin some yellow today on Pinterest in her honor. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

16 Marlena August 8, 2012 at 8:36 am

I’m sorry to read this. Thoughts to you and your family.

17 Amanda August 8, 2012 at 8:37 am

So sorry for your loss. I hope the good memories of your Grandma will help you during this time. Thoughts and prayer go out for you and your family.

18 Kristen von Finckenstein August 8, 2012 at 8:47 am

I’m sure Grandma Rudi would have loved your tribute, especially that it reached so many of us via the blog and technology. She sounds like a wonderful woman. You have made me a little less pouty today and more thankful. May she rest in peace.

19 Kim August 8, 2012 at 8:51 am

I am so sorry for your loss. My last grandparent passed away 6 years ago and while I don’t cry often anymore, I feel like I miss them more the older I get.

20 Melinda August 8, 2012 at 8:52 am

It’s so difficult to say good bye to the people we love. My condolences to your family.

21 Alicia W. August 8, 2012 at 9:01 am

I know how you feel about feeling further away from your father now that your grandmother has passed on. I felt the same way when my maternal grandmother passed away. My mother had passed away a few years before. My condolences to you and yours.

22 julia g blair August 8, 2012 at 9:08 am

I’m sad to hear of your grandma’s passing. She left a remarkable prodigy.
How wonderful that you shared so much with her and continue with her delight
in progress and family. I love yellow. I’m intrigued with the yellow shoes the
USA runners are wearing in Olympics. Thanks for sharing your deep feelings of love and appreciation for a great woman.

23 Robin August 8, 2012 at 9:10 am

Gabby, this post is beautiful. Thank you. I will keep it always.

Love you,
Robin

24 julia g blair August 8, 2012 at 9:13 am

prodigy and progeny ! both are precious gifts . Sorry about my spelling above!

25 Jennifer August 8, 2012 at 9:22 am

I’m so sorry for your loss, Gabrielle. I know every bit of yellow I see today will come with wishes for your comfort.

26 kristi August 8, 2012 at 9:24 am

a lovely tribute. so very sorry for your loss.

27 Collette | Hoopty Doopty August 8, 2012 at 9:27 am

Such a lovely tribute to your grandmother. Made me want to know Grandma Rudi. Those are some wonderful memories to keep tucked away in your heart. What a blessing. I’m sorry for your loss. May you find comfort and strength in Our Lord. x

28 Kristina @ Sarcire August 8, 2012 at 9:29 am

I’m so sorry for your and your family’s loss, Gabby!

29 Caitlin August 8, 2012 at 9:39 am

Sad. :( Times like these are sad, and that’s ok. Sending love and comfort your way!

30 Jenny August 8, 2012 at 9:54 am

I’m so sorry for your loss, Gabrielle. How I miss my grandmothers. Prayers and love to you and your family. <3

31 lea ann August 8, 2012 at 9:56 am

so very sorry for your loss.
you described it so well – how losing your grandmother makes you feel that much further removed from your father.

pinned this for your Grandma Rudi this morning. http://pinterest.com/pin/36591815693242801/

32 Mom in Mendon August 8, 2012 at 4:51 pm

This is so sweet.

33 Sam August 8, 2012 at 10:00 am

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss – my thoughts are with you and your family

34 Jillian in Italy August 8, 2012 at 10:03 am

So sorry for your Grandma. I’m sure she’ll be missed by everyone in your (very large!) family.

Now I’m off to call my grandma (also named Ruth and 90 years old) to tell her I love her.

35 Ayme August 8, 2012 at 10:04 am

So sorry, Gabby. Thinking about you and your family.

36 Azra August 8, 2012 at 10:15 am

I am sorry for your loss, Gabrielle. These are some wonderful memories of her . I have lost my grandmother last year and I remember the mood. It’s never easy. XO

37 vermontmommy August 8, 2012 at 10:15 am

I am so sorry for such a loss. My Grammy died 6 years ago. I will never forget getting the news. It was devastating. You have your yellow as a reminder. I have Grammy Green as a reminder. While she is gone I have many ways that I find her in my life. My youngest never got to meet her but I feel we keep her alive with stories. Still, gets my teary eyed… Oh, hugs to you and your family.

38 Chris Olson August 8, 2012 at 10:40 am

Hugs to you and your family. Words never seem to express enough when a dear one dies. I think your yellow pin idea is a brilliant idea. I added some too. xo

39 Catherine August 8, 2012 at 10:47 am

I’m so sorry. She sounded like an amazing lady. Hugs!

40 Amy3 August 8, 2012 at 10:49 am

I’m so sorry. I understand very keenly that sense of connections lost. My mother died when I was young and when my aunt and then my grandmother died, I felt as unmoored from my mother as ever. I guess I kept thinking I’d have more time with them.

It sounds like your grandmother was an amazing woman and her life and spirit will live on in her family. I wish you peace.

41 Cheryl Burchett August 8, 2012 at 11:08 am

I put together a “box of sunshine” to mail to a cousin who lost her husband. It was all yellow fun things to make her smile. Seeing all your yellow pins today made me want to at least send the pictures your way. Thinking about your family today. http://lydiaburchett.blogspot.com/2012/05/box-of-happy_27.html

42 Victoria Regina August 8, 2012 at 11:16 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. I lost my grandmother a little over a year ago, and it felt like I lost her again when my computer crashed and all my files–including the audio file of her singing and talking about her family as a child–disappeared. It’s a hard thing, though it does help to remember the songs she used to sing and her way of doing things: the importance of using teacups, wearing “hose” (admittedly never my style), and the stories I had already written down (especially about great-aunt Viola, who ran a brothel in the 20s). Also, yellow is one of my favorite colors, and I’ll definitely be looking to use some of it today.

43 April O. August 8, 2012 at 11:21 am

Oh, my sincere condolences to you and your family.

Grandparents can provide such special relationships. May God deeply touch your heart with His abiding peace and comfort.

44 Nina August 8, 2012 at 11:47 am

Oh, how sad. My heart goes out to you and your family.

45 Alyssa August 8, 2012 at 11:51 am

My condolences. Thank you for sharing these sweet memories.

46 Sharon @ Discovering Blog August 8, 2012 at 11:52 am

Oh, I’m so, so sorry. Losing a beloved grandma is a part of life, but is such an incredible heartache.

I was very close with mine, and she was so sick during the last year of her life. I said my goodbyes so many times, only for her to come roaring back. I was her only granddaughter, and I was pregnant with her only great-granddaughter. The day after my girl was born, she was wheeling herself around the nursing home, passing out cookies. A week later, the day I went to visit her with my newborn baby in my arms for her to meet, she was so bad. So, so bad. She was twitching and writhing and mumbling, and I sat with her and stroked her hair and prayed for her angles to take her. I left and went home and took a nap with my baby, again praying for the angles to take her, and to give her peace.
When I woke up my mom told me she had died. That was 4 years ago, and I still miss her terribly, but it has changed. On the first anniversary, as I stood at her grave, I could feel the pain lift, and it didn’t hurt as much.
It still sucks, but she was 89 and didn’t owe the world anything.

It is so wonderful you have so many amazing stories about your Rudi. One day your grandchildren will be talking about their wonderful grandma, too.

47 Bea_OT August 8, 2012 at 11:53 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. She sounds like one amazing woman. How blessed you’ve been to have her in your life. Sounds like you inherited some of her traits and her spirit lives in your life and in this blog. Take care of yourself. May you feel love everywhere today and the coming weeks!

48 amyks August 8, 2012 at 12:02 pm

So sorry for your loss…sunshiny yellow hugs.

49 Lisa August 8, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Thank you for sharing. I hope you are able to take some time for yourself today Gabrielle.

50 Lori H August 8, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Grandma Rudi sounds like such a neat person! I am so sorry for your loss, and know that you will miss her. I will pin something yellow today for her (and you).

51 christie elkins. August 8, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Gorgeous words. Praying for your family and loss!

52 Sara August 8, 2012 at 12:19 pm

So sorry for your loss. Grandparents are such very special people and I am forever thankful that I was able to know mine for so many years of my life. I hope my daughter has the same opportunity with her grandparents. They are people you never forget and who leave permanent marks on your heart. How special that your children were able to know their great grandmother for even just a few years.

53 Rachel August 8, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Perfect Gab.

54 Mags August 8, 2012 at 12:25 pm

So sorry for your loss, Gabrielle. What a blessing to have so many wonderful memories of her; it sounds like her (very large!) family was a blessing to her, too. Condolences to your family!

55 Jen Lewis August 8, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Gabby, I’m so sorry for your loss! Grandma Rudi really sounds like a truly, remarkable woman. The one thing you reflected on that resonated with me was that she embraced life. If there is one legacy I’d like to leave behind for my own children and grandchildren and (I hope!) great-grandchildren is that I embraced life. Every part of it. I never knew any of my grandparents and I wish I had. I will pin something yellow today :)

56 Melissa August 8, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I’m so sorry about the passing of your grandmother. Your memories of her sound absolutely lovely. It’s amazing how something as simple as a color can make us feel like we are surrounded by the loved ones we have lost. I lost my mother in 2010 and she loved purple. I find myself very drawn to that color now and whenever I stumble across anything purple I feel a sense of comfort, knowing she is still with me. I hope yellow will be your comfort color and always remind you of your grandmother.

57 Mara August 8, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss and heartache. I lost my beloved Gram too, just 11 days ago. She had been sick with cancer for the last couple of years and she would speak of her approaching death often. She told me to look for yellow butterflies after she passed, that they would be her sign that she was still with me. So here’s to our grandmothers and to a future filled with yellow butterflies.
Take care Gabby.

58 sue anderson August 8, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I have truly enjoyed reading your memories of her. These are the threads of our lives. Cherish them always.

♥♥♥
Sue

59 Karen F August 8, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I’m sorry for your loss, Gabrielle.

60 susan August 8, 2012 at 1:18 pm

So hard to lose a person we love. She will live forever in your memory. Thank you so much for telling us about this incredible woman. I hope some day I will be described as someone who embraced life. A wonderful tribute.

61 Hannah @ MiniMe Paper Dolls August 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm

What a beautiful and thoughtful tribute. Amazing the effect one life can have so many others. So sorry for your loss Gabby. Hugs to you.

62 Hannah August 8, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I can see where you get some of your lovely spirit and character from. Very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your poignant thoughts with us. x

63 Summer August 8, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. That was a very heartwarming post – I know you’re grandma was so proud of you and all her grandkids (and rightfully so!).

64 Summer August 8, 2012 at 2:57 pm

*your. Sigh.

65 Amanda S August 8, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I’m so sorry-I totally understand- my grandma passed away at the beginning of this year. I feel like every time someone from our granparents generation passes away something very special is lost from the world- they were just so much more refined, hard working, generous, lovely, graceful, industrious, and on and on. She sounds like exactly like kind of woman. Here’s to Grandma Rudi.

66 Tasha Melita August 8, 2012 at 5:43 pm

So, so true ♥

67 Sara August 8, 2012 at 3:03 pm

So, so sorry to hear your sad news, Gabby. I love your memories of her…she sounds like an amazing woman. I hope sharing your memories with your family and all those that love her help ease your sadness. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

68 Michelle A August 8, 2012 at 3:26 pm

So sorry for your loss and the entire Stanley clan. She sounds like a hell of a woman.

69 sarah k August 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss, and touched by these lovely memories. I think anyone who loves the color yellow has to be wonderful.
I hope you get to go through the loss with your family, comforting one another, even if you’re not able to be there physically.

70 se7en August 8, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Oh I am sorry, how painful for you all. I love your memoir and the special connections… and doesn’t everyone have yellow stripy socks?

71 Allison August 8, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Thinking about you and your family. I wondered where all the gorgeous yellow pinning inspiration came from. What a beautiful tribute!

72 Brittany August 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful person. I’m sure you’ll be able to share great memories of her for the rest of your life.

73 Connie August 8, 2012 at 5:08 pm

My condolences and prayers go to you and your family. Your grandmother sounds like a very special person. She will always be apart of you, and you will have wonderful stories to share with your children. God bless.

74 Victoria August 8, 2012 at 5:36 pm

So sorry for your loss. But what wonderful memories you have of your Rudi. She sounds like someone who lived life, with all its up and downs, to the full.

75 Tasha Melita August 8, 2012 at 5:42 pm

This is a huge loss! I am thinking of you and will pray for your family. There is a reason they’re called GRAND mothers!!! It is a special place in the family line and it sounds as if you loved her as i did (do) mine! I’ve written here before as I lost my Bapci last April and I’m now in in my second summer without her. The other night I woke up and “hid” and sobbed for hours in my bathroom missing her. But the most wonderful “dream” occurred as I fell asleep – I was traveling through her house, seeing, smelling and taking in the feeling of her…beautiful! MUCH LOVE Gabby xo

76 hannah August 8, 2012 at 6:33 pm

So sorry for your loss. I don’t usually comment online. But you mention that your grandmother was Jewish. So if you would like, I can ask my husband to say a Kaddish for her soul. I would just need her father’s name.
Hope you find strength and comfort during this difficult time.

77 Mom in Mendon August 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm

How kind of you, Hannah.

78 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay August 8, 2012 at 10:27 pm

What a lovely gesture!

79 Natasha August 8, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Gabrielle, I am so sorry about your grandma! She sounds like an exceptional woman! Lucky you to have such a great woman in your life.

80 Asha {Parent Hacks} August 8, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I am so very sorry for your loss, Gabby. I loved reading your thoughts and memories here. She sounded like an amazing lady.

81 l o v e l y t h i n g s August 8, 2012 at 7:48 pm

What a very sweet and thoughtfully written tribute to your grandmother Rudi. I love the sock and yellow connection. There’s just something wonderful about a tangible when we make connections to those we lost. My dear sweet friend Lorna just passed away and when I went to her service in Denver I asked her husband if I could have one of her white rocks she had brought back from Anguilla about ten years ago. Can you imagine bringing a suitcase full of white smooth rocks home from a vacation? She displayed them in a bowl…I have that rock sitting on a shelf and sometimes I just hold it…I hope your yellow stripe socks bring you comfort.
annie

82 Janelle August 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Beautifully written! I have not yet lost a parent, thank God, but I’ve lost my favorite grandparent & it was/is difficult. What a stunning tribute to your grandmother. I’m sorry for your loss & wish comfort over you in the days to come.

83 the emily August 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I noticed all your yellow earlier this morning and thought it was so fun, and now that I know the meaning behind it it’s such a thoughtful tribute. I just love that you did that for her. I’m sorry for your loss, and I’ll pray for peace for you and your family.

84 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay August 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm

What a lovely tribute. I have a suspicion that she will live on in you. The way you describe her reminds me of you.

Your reflection that the loss of your Grandma makes your Father seem even further away was such a good description of the nature of grieving. It goes on, in different forms forever. One never knows when a new insight will occur on losing someone dear. Thank you for sharing that. That was very personal and it touched me deeply.

I am almost 46 and I still have both of my Grandmas. One is 96 and the other is 93. We have always been close. Of course I could lose either of them at any time. The loss of a whole generation of our family seems like an impossibility. I can’t imagine how it will feel.

I am sorry for your loss. Peace and comfort to all of you.

85 Gina August 9, 2012 at 1:04 am

My heart goes out to you. What a beautiful way to share such a private and keystone figure in your lives. It’s wonderful to hear how she’s colored your lives in such positive ways. I will certainly wear yellow and think of her. I am sorry for your loss.

86 Jess August 9, 2012 at 1:11 am

What a beautiful post.

Deepest sympathy to you and your family, Gabrielle. You certainly have inherited the best of your Grandma Rudi.

87 Tinne from Tantrums and Tomatoes August 9, 2012 at 3:33 am

I’m so sorry for your loss.

88 Catherine August 9, 2012 at 5:24 am

Oh Gabrielle,what a loving post. Your Grandma Rudi sounds like a great woman – with a thirst for learning and life.! What a great colour to remember her by, strong and cheerful. I’m sorry for your loss.

89 Chassity (Look Linger Love) August 9, 2012 at 8:06 am

I’m very sorry for your loss. She’s in a happy place now. And my great grandma went through a divorce when divorce wasn’t so popular too. Almost inspiring in a way to have such strong grandmas.

90 Shannon { A Mom's Year } August 9, 2012 at 8:09 am

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of Grandma Rudi. She sounds like a truly wonderful person, and your loving tribute to her will be such a comfort to your family. And what you wrote is such a good reminder to be mindful about the legacy that we’ll leave our children and children, whether it’s how we handled adversity or our favorite recipes. Warm thoughts to all of you as you say goodbye.

91 Sara Steinke August 9, 2012 at 8:57 am

Oh… I’m so sorry to hear the news. It’s amazing how much our grandma’s can mean to us. Mine passed away last November and I think of her all the time. It’s good you have such wonderful memories of her. Praying for God’s peace and comfort for your family.

92 Ashley F. August 9, 2012 at 9:13 am

Oh, I’m so sorry for your loss. Grandmother’s are special, special ladies, and it sounds like yours was an absolute treasure. I hope that the fond memories you all have of her will comfort you in this difficult time.

93 Jillian L August 9, 2012 at 9:38 am

What a wonderful dedication post, Gabrielle. Thank you for sharing a bit of your grandma’s spirit with us! She sounds wonderful :)

94 Vicki August 9, 2012 at 9:55 am

My grandmother passed away 51 years ago. I was 13. I still think of her frequently. Hope I leave my grandchildren with as wonderful memories as I have of her. She is reason I know we go on.

95 Lydia August 9, 2012 at 10:43 am

So sorry, Gabrielle. Thinking of you and your family.

96 Nichshee August 9, 2012 at 11:57 am

What an amazing grandma, woman and example to us all. My deepest sympathies to you and all your family. I hope the kids are not taking it too hard, it is so painful having a death in the family when you are an expat, telephone calls, email and all the rest are not the same as being in the kitchen crying and laughing over shared memories.

97 anna August 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm

i am so sorry, gabby. losing my grandmother was one of the hardest times of my life. grandmothers are special people. my grandmother was an alice who loved voilets and purple. she died twelve years ago this month. i still tear up when i think of her or speak of her. my god be with you, your grandmother, and your family at this time. much love to you. xo!

98 Sharon Fischel August 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. The Jewish traditions around death and burial are beautiful. When we talk about someone who passed, we say “May her memory be a blessing.” So, may your grandmother’s memories always bless you and your family, and may you pass down those memories to your children.

99 Julie August 9, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I am very sorry. ((hugs))
But regarding your dad, I thought the man that looked like Ralph from your recent vacation photos was your dad… Who was that?

100 cartoongoddess August 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I am so sorry for your loss.

101 Heather August 9, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. When my grandpa died it brought up a lot of memories and grief about my mom’s death, too. It just didn’t seem right to be saying goodbye to Grandpa without Mom there. Such a lovely post about your Grandma – she sounds like a great lady.

102 Jane August 9, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. The memories of her that you share will certainly keep her spirit alive in your heart and the hearts of your kids. My middle daughter is named for my great-grandmother, who died a month before my daughter was born. She has always asked to hear stories about her “Nama,” and she recently said, “Are you sure I never met her? She seems so real in those stories.”

103 My Traveling Troop August 9, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I am sorry to hear about your grandmother’s passing. I know there are no words that will truly bring you comfort, but hopefully big hugs & prayers from my family will. Hang in there!

Best,
Kristina

104 Chrissy August 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Gabby, I sure do know how it feels to lose family while you are far away…! prayers & big hugs for you & your family…what a beautiful legacy Grandma Rudi lived and left for her family, you are living it out beautifully in your life for sure!! my Granny passed away 2 years ago, she was an amazing woman too, she is still so close to my heart each day :-) in lots of happy ways…