Found Thing

August 7, 2012

Her name is Maura. She runs every morning and sometimes she finds things, and then shares them with us. It might be a feather, it might be a peach, or it might be a palm full of wondrous weeds. It is, however, always a welcome dose of beauty.

Do you ever do things like this? Snap a quick shot of something of seemingly little consequence along your daily path? It’s all I do on Instagram! And it’s funny how the simple act of taking the picture, making it a little prettier with an arty filter, and adding a quick caption somehow elevates the ordinary into a memory to be savored.

Tell me: What thing have you found today?

1 Cassandra August 7, 2012 at 5:56 am

Leftover pizza with Genoa salami and chevre when I was fairly sure there was nothing to eat for breakfast.

2 Gabriele August 7, 2012 at 8:29 am

I found a turf war outside my window. One robin, blood pressure going through the roof, yelling his bird lungs out at a Grosbeak, who he pinned against my house. I live in a pretty nice hood. What’s up?

3 unfounddoor August 7, 2012 at 9:35 am

An Olympic Triathlon on our morning walk. Plus a sock i thought id lost, inside the duvet cover. So , high drama here.

4 Christina August 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I found a rock in my fridge. I’m the mom to two boys so it’s not that rare of an occurrence.

5 Angela DeMuro December 17, 2012 at 2:33 pm

This made me smile…I also boys:)

6 Elaina August 8, 2012 at 12:17 am

Thanks for sharing! My 5 year old daughter is a collector of interesting things, and I love taking photos of her finds. Yesterday at the park, she found some bottlecaps, a plastic octopus pick and a toy dinosaur. Today, a palm tree bark crown and a bouquet of leaves. You (and Maura) have inspired me to chronicle her goodies.

7 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux August 8, 2012 at 2:43 am

Wow, thanks for sharing…such an interesting idea. I can’t tell you the number of wildflower weeds my kids pick, or the rocks they hand me from being outside…a green acorn, a super large leaf in Paris (should have taken that photo!)…kids are definitely collectors of so many things…and maybe as adults we should be more like our children each day and rediscover simple beauty. (Thanks for the reminder!)

8 Angela DeMuro December 17, 2012 at 2:32 pm

A row of dinosaurs walking through our kitchen into the dining room…apparently an unheard of migration;)