Flower Carpet

August 31, 2012

I don’t really like to dwell on things I’ve missed, but I have to admit I feel a little pang that we didn’t catch the Flower Carpet at the Grand-Place in Brussels mid-August.

Belgium is renowned for its begonias — they’re the world’s largest producer of the bloom — and they really know how to show them off. After a year’s worth of planning and design, a hundred experienced and enthusiastic gardeners piece together over 750,000 begonias to create this delightful jigsaw…in about four hours! The exhibit lasts for just five breathtaking days.

It makes me happy when I see a big group of people working together to make something beautiful, just for the sake of making something beautiful for everyone else to enjoy. I’d like to join a project like this someday, wouldn’t you? Have you ever?

P.S. — Thanks to Tracy from Lafayette, Indiana for sending these begonias to me!

1 Elizabeth August 31, 2012 at 7:35 am

Huh. That is not what I thought begonias looked like! There are so many variations to every type of flower — incredible, really!

2 Giulia August 31, 2012 at 8:05 am

@Elizabeth…me too. I thought these were Dahlias – I thought Begonias were a lot more rubbery blossomed. Beautiful though!

3 Design Mom August 31, 2012 at 10:13 am

Yes! I think of those as dahlia’s as well, and think of begonias as waxy/rubbery. I suppose flowers just go by different names in different places.

4 Heather August 31, 2012 at 9:14 am

One of my favorite memories of living and working in Guatemala was watching the incredible installation of the Alfombras. People come together and carpet whole streets in flower mosaics for Semana Santa leading up to Easter. Perhaps that should be your next trip! Amazing in every way.

5 Design Mom August 31, 2012 at 9:17 am

Alfombras? That sounds amazing, Heather.

I swear, I have the hardest time even attempting a life list. I want to see and do EVERYTHING! : )

6 Heather August 31, 2012 at 10:40 am

I hear you about that! The upside is that Semana Santa comes around every year, making it somewhat more possible. I highly recommend Guatemala as a place to visit, it is really an incredible place. Cheers!

7 Carlota Zambrano August 31, 2012 at 12:07 pm

On 2004 I was backpacking with my brother and arrived on Brussels just the day they opened the flower carpet! We did not know about it, but it certainly was gorgeous and a special treat the city had for us! I loved it and just remembered it thanks to your post!
Thanks!

8 Elizabeth August 31, 2012 at 4:19 pm

This is spectacular. Thanks, again, for bringing us to such works of wonder! I look forward to every single one of your posts –

I recently worked on a collaborative video — pulling together slides of parents with disabled children who had a message of hope for those new to the path. I would love you to see it, although I’m sure you are bombarded with such things all the time. If you have a chance, the link is here: http://elizabethaquino.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-extreme-parenting-video-project.html or on YouTube.

9 mrpsresidio August 31, 2012 at 8:40 pm

You see beautiful flowers and I see 4 chocolate shops within a block of the Grand Place!

10 Gretchen September 1, 2012 at 4:33 am

We had the chance to go to the flower carpet this year. It was lovely, but in my opinion, Keukenhof Gardens (in the Netherlands) was even more spectacular. If you are longing for a once-in-a-lifetime flower experience it is not too late to go to Floriade in Venlo, NL – happens once every 10 years to highlight Holland’s flower growers. (It ends in October.)

11 Maria September 1, 2012 at 11:25 am

We lived in Germany from 2010 to Feb 2012. We were all set to go see the flower carpet in 2010 but we ended up all getting sick that weekend and didn’t make it out. We thought we’d be able to see it this year, but life got in the way and we ended up coming back to Canada a couple years early. I’m also really sad to have missed it. We did see Keukenhoff though, which was incredible.

12 Dianne September 3, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I’m certain those flowers are Dahlias NOT Begonias! We were at Keukenhoff Gardens this Spring and it was amazing. I’ve never heard of the flower carpet before-too many things to put on ‘the list’.