Design Mom Asks: Celebrating Summer

August 23, 2012

It’s almost September! The air is starting to smell a little crisper, the colors are hinting at change, and sweaters are becoming a welcome accessory in the chill mornings and at dusk. Oh, Friends! Summer is almost over. Almost. What’s the one thing you’re really, really dying to do before it ends? A warm thanks to Morgan, Melanie, Leslie and Christine for chiming in to this week’s conversation!

Morgan of The 818:
Every summer I plan to find the time to go camping at Point Mugu just past Malibu where my Dad used to take us as kids, and every year I miss snagging a reservation by a landslide. It’s heaven in LA. The camp sites are secluded and wooded, but there’s a short hike to a cove where a short stretch of beach feels untouched in a way that so little still does (at least, it did the last time I actually made it there). Last year we managed to get a group site in Carpenteria for an impromptu camping trip with two of my best friends from college and their kids, and I’d hoping we can all head out to the beach again before fall sets in. Actually, I think I’ll wrap this up so I can go make our reservation before I ace myself out again!

Melanie of Inward Facing Girl:
One of my very favorite things to do is explore contemporary art museums and galleries. The first thing I research when I’m planning a visit to another city is their art scene, and I try to keep on top of art events in my own city as well. While I’m not typically a huge fan of glass art, I have to visit Chihuly Garden and Glass before summer ends. I could wait until fall or even winter, but looking up through the Glasshouse and seeing sunny blue Seattle summer skies seems like a great way to experience the museum for the first time. I’m sure my two-year-old son will love it, too.

Leslie of Leslie Laughs:
Honestly, I’m dying to take a reading day! Required summer reading lists were always one of my favorite parts of school. Now that I’m a grown-up, I still find myself reading more books than usual in the summertime. The Texas heat slows me down to a more deliberate daily rhythm, and making time to read seems easier, more pleasurable. We’ve already gone to the beach, road-tripped to visit family, and grilled out a lot this summer, so the way I’m wanting to round out the season is a slow, lovely day by the pool with a cold drink and a few sweet reads.

Christine of Patterson Estate:
Oh, a full blown American-style picnic with all the necessary trimmings! We have just relocated to Hong Kong from the States and are currently enduring snippets of homesickness.

Once we stopped gawking up at the Hong Kong skyscrapers and focused a little lower, we discovered the fantastic parks. The Hong Kong Park is complete with koi ponds, aviaries, and tea houses. Plopping down our picnic basket full of American goodies amongst this Chinese menagerie would help smooth out our transition. I now know what we’ll be doing this weekend.

—-

Thank you all for taking us along on your wishful adventures! And, Friends, promise you’ll sneak in something wonderful to mark the end of the season. You can write down your plans here, if you’d like; kind of like a very public must-do list!

Wouldn’t it be lovely if your last summer outing looked like the image at top?

P.S. — You can catch all of our Design Mom Asks conversations right here. If you’d like to participate in the next one, drop me a note. I’d love to hear from you!

1 Melanie August 23, 2012 at 9:10 am

Thanks for having me, Gabrielle! Hope you’re enjoying your day in NYC.

2 Elizabeth August 23, 2012 at 9:24 am

We will:
visit my sister is washington DC,
put in the fall garden,
host a back-to-school potluck, and hopefully
can more peaches!

3 Sharon @ Discovering blog August 23, 2012 at 9:35 am

I think we’ll get in one more pool party, host one more BBQ (actually my son’s 7th b-day party) and ideally get the kids out on their bicycles a bit more. We’ve been lazy with that last part.

4 Jacquelyn Moses August 23, 2012 at 9:52 am

Oh PLEASE tell me where that top picture was taken!! My kids saw it and want to go camping there!!

5 Design Mom August 23, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Hi Jacquelyn! You can find the photo link right before the P.S.

I want to go there too!

6 Victoria Regina August 23, 2012 at 10:18 am

I am going to soak up as much America as I can before the move: time with my parents, finishing up this quilt, and getting lots of burgers and shakes (and fry sauce!) before it all gets traded in for schnitzel and…more schnitzel.

7 Design Mom August 23, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Thumbs up for schnitzel!

8 how2home August 23, 2012 at 10:40 am

curious to know where the first photo is from…it looks so much fun!

9 Design Mom August 23, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Isn’t it amazing? It’s the last link before the P.S.

10 Jen | Family Sponge August 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm

The link doesn’t actually say where it is… all it says is: “nowhere in particular.” :( Maybe someone will recognize the place and help me plan next summer’s bucket list.

11 Christina @ Homemade Ocean August 23, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Ohhhhh how i would love to be soaking in that creek!!!!

I may have missed a post….I know you are cottage shopping, but are you officially making the move to call France home?

12 Tasha Melita August 23, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Get kayaking…with rainy weather whenever we’ve been free it didn’t happen yet:( But fall is a perfect time as well. One more fair (fried dough:), marshmallow roast, and yes, one more good swim party:) Once I get into school mode I begin letting go of summer. As a teacher I’ve been in my room and even met my new students today! This transition is not so bittersweet with the renewal of an academic year and all that comes with it. I do try to savor the leaves and warmth that I know is fleeting…I cherish photos captures as from my hammock today:)

13 Veronica Roth August 24, 2012 at 2:33 am

I love all the ideas! Morgan’s special camping trip, Melanie’s art museum date, (last saw a Dale Chihuly installation at RBG Kew…such amazing glass), Leslie’s reading day…wouldn’t that be heaven? And that end of summer picnic. There can’t be a better way to celebrate. I spend summers in England and so my traditional end of summer celebration is to walk thru the beautiful gardens and parks at Blenheim Palace taking it all in. Then, with millions of photos files on my pc, back to Vancouver for a few months. The really good thing is that Vancouver usually is still summery enough for a hike up Diamond head and a good kayak in Deep Cove. Can’t miss those summer rituals.

14 Jen :: Family Sponge August 24, 2012 at 6:12 am

I am in awe of that top photo— if only we could know where it is!!! That would definitely be on my summer bucket list!

15 Chrisine August 24, 2012 at 8:29 am

you say that like schnitzel’s a bad thing…
where are you going Germany or Austria?
both have great schnitzel.

16 julia [life on churchill] August 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I hope for one more trip to the pool, and next week we will go to the state fair (its only a mile from our house!) One of my favorite things.

17 Grace August 25, 2012 at 3:11 am

Every summer calls for a road trip in my book! Since my best friend lives and attends San Francisco State our other best friend and I road trip it every summer to visit. She’s graduating come December, so this will be our last road trip…as college students! ; )

I just know all the memories and pictures of our road trips will be such a treasure as we grow old together.

18 Jimmy August 25, 2012 at 1:56 pm

We visit my wife’s family every year at Ottertail Lake, MN. She’s been coming here her whole life. I’ve been joining her since I was 16. Her family’s been coming here in the summer since the 60′s.

For us, the trip is usually over the fourth of July, but because we had a baby on July 3 we decided to bump our timing back to late August. My wife is on maternity leave and since Im a stay-at-home dad we’re spending over two and a half weeks here, and won’t be going back to DC until after Labor Day.

Every day has been beautiful, the water is perfect (I bathe in it every day – havent been in a shower for a week), and our kids get to play and meet their great grandfather and great, great aunts. It’s magical here.

19 Marisa August 27, 2012 at 2:48 am

The location in the picture above is Vang Vieng in Laos…I’ve been to this spot and it’s absolutely gorgeous. Brought back lovely memories when I saw the photo.