A Spectrum of Seashells

August 13, 2012

It was such a good weekend!

On Friday evening, we visited the tiny cottage I mentioned. It is a total wreck! Overgrown yard. Needs a new roof. Junk everywhere. But it’s awesome! We’re going back today with a local expert who will advise us on whether or not it’s worth restoring. (You can see some images on my instagram feed if you’re curious.) We’re also going to visit a second cottage in a different area today. We’re getting very serious about buying something. Exciting!

On Saturday, we spent the morning weeding, and rewarded ourselves with an afternoon at the beach. Olive and Mimi collected seashells and we organized them into a spectrum. Isn’t it beautiful? I like to imagine someone wandered by and admired the little collection before it swept out to sea.

Yesterday was church in the morning, bike rides in the afternoon, and crepes in the evening. Sigh of contentment.

We don’t always get a perfect weekend, so I love to acknowledge it when we do. : ) How was your weekend?

1 l o v e l y t h i n g s August 13, 2012 at 7:52 am

I love the sea shell spectrum and the little hands showing in the photo that created the beautiful scene…I pinned it to my N A T U R E board and of course gave credit to Olive & Mimi.

2 Sonya August 13, 2012 at 8:19 am

That cottage seems like – from the photos on your instagram – a dream! I want you to buy it so I can live vicariously through you, via your blog, until I can purchase my own property in France. It is only $40k? I say go for it! I don’t know if you and your husband enjoy home renovation but I think it would be fun to restore that cottage to it’s former glory, even in France, where I hear that renovations are not a fun thing. And now, I have outed myself as a crazy person. ;)

3 Rosie August 13, 2012 at 8:23 am

I love this picture – what a beautiful spectrum! Shells never fail to make me happy :)

4 Jane August 13, 2012 at 8:38 am

You should submit the photo to http://thingsorganizedneatly.tumblr.com/

5 {plum} August 13, 2012 at 9:00 am

fabulous!!!!!

My beach week starts Saturday and you’ve given me the perfect seaside art project to do with my kids. thank you, again, Design Mom!

best ~ d.

6 Megan Flowers August 13, 2012 at 9:22 am

The perfect weekends are so lovely. Our weekend turned out quite well considering we are in a heat wave in Los Angeles. We found a great water park in my favorite town Ojai and then had Mexican food in a little beach city called Ventura. And it’s not over! My husband and I are celebrating 7 years of marriage, so he took today and tomorrow (our anniversary) off. My son is thrilled with so much Daddy time!

7 Jen Betancourt August 13, 2012 at 9:46 am

Ours was a lovely woodsy weekend. Much needed rain, spinach croissants from the bakery down the street, hiking Mt. Agamenticus. Lovely and quiet. Love the seashell spectrum! Will definitely use on our next day by the sea. As always, thank you!

8 Kristin August 13, 2012 at 10:57 am

How big is the cottage? It looks dreamy!

9 Sharon @ Discovering blog August 13, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I’ve been lucky this summer, and have had several fabulous weekends. Nothing glamorous, but just wonderful and together. Sometimes productive, sometimes lazy, sometimes filled with friends and family.
This weekend was a combo – exercise, shopping, LOTS of cleaning, then a day at a pool with lots of little ones. Perfection!
The shell arrangement is gorgeous! Your kids are taking after you and you eye for design!

10 Jennifer Sedor August 13, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Not so perfect. Everything we had planned changed – however, someone told us about the meteor shower Saturday night and because our night had suddenly become free – the Mr and I moved an air mattress into the yard and watched the show! Disappointment – erased :)

11 mandi@herbanhomestead August 13, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Oh- that little cottage is wonderful! How exciting! We had a great weekend too- we purchased our first vintage camper!

12 julia g blair August 13, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I think I’ve had three perfect weekends! They are to die for!

13 Corinne August 13, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I love the shells! What a gorgeous picture. Tell your girls what a beautiful design– now it’s preserved for all of us to enjoy!

14 bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com August 15, 2012 at 3:10 pm

such a pretty picture. Love it!

15 TracieOB August 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm

When I saw the picture of your children in front of that Castle, I thought to myself “that looks like Leeds Castle!” Sure enough, not all castles look alike : )
31 years ago this past May, my brother proposed to my best friend at Leeds! We were on a family trip so we got to give them an “Engagement Picnic” on the wonderful grounds after she said Yes, complete with albino peacock. On their 25th Wedding Anniversary, they were able to attend an autumn dinner at the castle and actually spend the night! Only about 4 or 6 couples were there. They could wander where ever they wanted. Kim, my sis-in-law, explored every nook. What a treat to see that on you blog. Thank you.