A Red Lake

August 13, 2012

There’s a lake in Camargue, France that has turned blood-red as a result of high salt concentration. Blood-red! It’s shocking to my senses just in a photograph, so I can’t imagine what it would be like to see in person. My reaction fluctuates between fascinated and awe-struck and a little creeped out, to be honest! Would you dive into a red lake?

I love it when nature throws us a curve ball. Tell me: What’s the strangest natural phenomenon you’ve ever seen?

Image by Sam Dobson/Caters News Agency via Designboom.

1 Sarah August 13, 2012 at 7:01 am

We’ve had a lake turn red here in Texas due to high levels of algae resulting form the severe drought. Some people took it as a sign of impending apocalypse.

We got a kick out of finding a double-yolk egg http://texmorse.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-surprise.html
though it’s nowhere near as shocking as the blood-red lake.

2 Sur August 13, 2012 at 7:35 am

How cool is that…a red lake. I agree, I would be fascinated and kinda creeped out. But knowing myself, I wouldn’t be able to resist dipping my toes in.

In Franz Joseph, New Zealand, we got to see a glacier in the midst of a rain forest! It was strange n awesome.

3 Gabriele August 13, 2012 at 7:57 am

Just a mile down the road we have a fascinating trick of nature. We have a bike grown inside of a tree.

4 Sur August 13, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Sweet!! Thats so quirky! I like.

5 Greenstylemom August 13, 2012 at 9:03 am

We were there in spring! It was a wonderful area to visit, although the water was a more muted pink, not bright red, while we were there. The lakes are part of the salt flats where they bring in sea water to harvest salt (fleur de sel – yum!). The same little creature that thrives in the saline water and turns the water pink/red also turns the flamingos pink when they eat them. If you go that direction, the bird sanctuary and flamingos are a must see.

6 Mary-My Life in Scotland August 13, 2012 at 9:37 am

Oh that’s so weird! It’s like that movie and everyone in the town thought it was a sign of the end of the world or some religious damnation. Creepy film.

When I worked on cruise lines in the Caribbean I saw many hurricane’s. Watching swells that are so big actually go over the ship is quite the reminder of nature’s strength. I’ll never forget it for as long as I live.

7 Zina August 13, 2012 at 10:29 am

One time I saw some hail the size of small pebbles.

(I’m laughing really hard to myself at how stupid this comment is, and my daughter’s saying, “Then don’t comment or they’re going to think you’re stupid.” Guilty!)

8 Kaet99 August 13, 2012 at 11:23 am

No worries, Zina. Last spring we had golf-ball to baseball-sized hail here. It was fascinating watching it bounce across the yard like little bunnies but terrifying when I realized my car was being destroyed. We have a garage now, but I freak out during storms now, much more so than I ever did before.

9 michelle August 13, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Wow, this is amazing, a little unearthly feeling I would imagine. The natural phenomenon that wowed me was the Plitvices Lakes in Croatia, they are this crazy blue-green from the minerals in the waterfalls. BEAUTIFUL!

10 Amber August 13, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Once many years ago I was finishing up a run in my hometown. I looked to my right and noticed it was snowing about thirty feet away but there were no flakes falling on me. I watched as the snow slowly started rolling along and finally reached me after several seconds. I sprinted ahead to outrun it, then turned and watched as it caught up with me. It was so bizarre finding myself on the very edge of the snow storm.

11 Cecilia Villarroel August 13, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Hey Gabrielle!
We have a Red Lagoon in Bolivia, surrounded by an amazing sand desert near the biggest salt flat of the world, the “Salar de Uyuni”.

If you have the opportunity to visit my country, please don´t miss them!

12 Maria August 13, 2012 at 5:39 pm

There’s a place in Alaska where you park your car at the bottom of a hill and it rolls up the hill. Pretty neat. This red lake is fantastic.

13 Kathy August 13, 2012 at 6:50 pm

My Favorite color is pink so I was thrilled to learn about Lake Retba (or Lac Rose) in Senegal. It is a brilliant pink color due to a micro-algae found in sea salt fields. I would love to visit it one day.

Here are some pictures that amaze me:

14 Kacy Faulconer August 15, 2012 at 9:51 am

Gabby,
Have you read Berkeley Breathed’s Red Ranger Came Calling? It’s a children’s Christmas book. It attempts to explain how that bike got in the tree.

15 Maria Goad August 17, 2012 at 6:28 am

Hands down the coolest thing I have ever seen in nature was in Ecuador at the equator, the real line of the equator, not where the monument is, apparently back whenever they built the monument at the equator it wasn’t exact. Anyway, at the exact equator a girl put a sink on a stand directly on the line of the equator and filled it up with a bucket full of water and a few rose petals (so you could see the direction the water was moving in) then she pulled the plug. The water drained out of the sink without swirling in either direction. It just went straight down. She then picked up the sink and moved it 3 feet to the right, filled and drained it again and the water drained clockwise down the drain. She did it again 3 feet on the left side of the equator and it drained counterclockwise. IT WAS SHOCKING!!!!!