A Giant Labyrinth

August 8, 2012

A giant maze of books! Genius! I’m adding this this art installation to the list of things we missed when we were in London, which only means we must schedule another trip (I wish!) before it closes on August 26th. (As with most things in life, once is never quite enough, is it?)

aMAZEme, built by Brazilian artists Marcos Saboya and Gualter Pupo, was constructed with 250,000 books and the help of 50 volunteers over a five-day period. It’s over eight feet tall in places, and covers an area over 5,000 square feet, but I think we can recreate this for our under-three-foot kids in our own living rooms, don’t you?

Here’s a cool time lapse of how it all went down. Thank you, Amy, for sending this my way!

1 Jamie August 8, 2012 at 6:26 am

I’m in London for the Games and took a little time off sport yesterday and went and saw this, it was so cool. I found myself walking through wishing I could sit down with several of the books for a good read.

2 Kit August 8, 2012 at 9:23 am

This looks great! I’m off next week with no plans and was trying to decide what to do with myself. I think visiting this has made it onto the list!

3 Kristina @ Sarcire August 8, 2012 at 9:26 am

It really is amazing! “Getting lost in a book” just took a while new meaning :)

4 Amy3 August 8, 2012 at 10:51 am

Ah! So glad you liked it, Gabrielle! I love your idea of building a small-scale version in your living room. Genius!

5 susan August 8, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I knew I would be able to use all the books that I have saved.

6 unfounddoor August 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I’m due to meet a friend there tomorrow morning! Weirdness. And now I can’t wait.

Do come back – maybe for the Paralympics? There’s lots on at the moment. For smaller exhibits, the Wellcome Collection has an interesting exhibition at the moment on history and future of prostheses and prosthetic ‘enhancements’” – which touches on some of the issues you were intrigued by in the context of the Paralympics. And I totally liked the Yoko Ono show at the Serpentine gallery.
I’d love to see more of the city through your eyes, please!

7 Christine August 31, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Hello,
Iā€™m with Discovery Channel Canada. We produce a nightly science and tech program called, Daily Planet. I came across your recent Giant Labyrinth and would love to mention it on the show. Do you have video I can broadcast?

Many thanks for your time,
Christine.