A Few Things

August 31, 2012

Hello, Friends! How are you? Has it been a good week? My head is still full of the sights and sounds and tastes of Switzerland. It was one of the best trips we’ve taken and I can’t wait to share a little report — watch for it next week. We arrived home yesterday. Unpacked last night. And spent this morning at the grocery store.

School starts on Monday! So this weekend, we’ll finish up the school shopping (socks, underwear and shoes), and label all the school supplies. The air has a definite chill in it today. Smells like autumn. Feels like cardigans. And I’m ready. This summer has been particularly amazing. I can’t imagine we’ll have another one quite like it. But I feel like we’ve squeezed every last drop out of summer, and I’m ready to say hello to September. You too?

While I pull out our sweaters and jackets, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:

- End of summer flowers.
- We’re done having babies, but Ashley’s story makes me want to adopt 6 more. It’s so heartbreaking to picture little babies out there with no family to love them.
- Found myself drawn in by these images.
- Spiral-cut hotdogs just in time for Labor Day BBQs (made my stomach growl).
- Glad to know about Father Rabbit.
- A young mother with terminal breast cancer, makes a heartfelt plea to design a dress for Lady Gaga.
- Playing with your food.
- Made me laugh, but I wouldn’t dare use one. : )

I hope you have a wonderful weekend welcoming September! I’ll meet you back here on Monday to wish you a Happy Labor Day. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — For those of you waiting for replies about the new Editor positions, thanks for your patience! I’ll be sending out notes this weekend. Also, more sneek peeks of our Swiss Trip (like the one at top) on Instagram.

1 Gina @ Oaxacaborn August 31, 2012 at 9:01 am

Oh, I’m looking forward to your Switzerland report. There is something so magical about the Alps!

And I must to admit feeling a little pang of homesickness reading your description of autumn air — cardigan weather! It’s something I truly miss living in Florida now.

Have fun shopping! Those French school supply requirements intrigue me. :)

2 Rendy August 31, 2012 at 9:08 am

Thanks for the China adoption blog! We are headed to the same place in about 5-7 weeks for the very same reason. Ashley Anne is inspiring, and I will be using some of her travel tips. We were not going to take our 2 youngest boys with us, but her photos make me want to take my boys back to China and be a part of the experience of bringing home our girl.

3 Design Mom August 31, 2012 at 9:14 am

How exciting, Rendy! I’m sure the experience will be thrilling.

4 bh September 3, 2012 at 3:15 am

Adoption is not exciting or thrilling. Adoption involves love, yes, but also loss, grief, identity issue, child trafficking – you name it…

5 Christina @ Homemade Ocean August 31, 2012 at 9:12 am

I couldn’t get to the “made me laugh” link. Just a heads up :)

I love Fridays…not because it is almost the weekend….because of these posts!!!!!

Glad to hear you had so much fun in Switzerland, can’t wait to read about it!

6 Design Mom August 31, 2012 at 9:15 am

So glad you told me, Christina! All fixed up now. And thank you for the kind words. It’s all fun making my list of Friday links!

7 Shannon { A Mom's Year } August 31, 2012 at 10:45 am

Fantastic links, Gabrielle! I love the adoption story (of course!). Thank you so much for sharing these stories.

8 Kace August 31, 2012 at 11:30 am

I’m curious what you thought of Swiss prices for things versus being in France. We were there this past summer and thought Switzerland was beautiful but SO expensive compared to Germany or Italy!

9 Design Mom August 31, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Hi Kace! I noticed it most with the food. Even simple meals were more expensive. But the nice thing was, the exchange rate while we were there was pretty much 1:1 for Swiss Franc to U.S. Dollar. So at least we knew how much we were spending! In some countries, I’m frantically trying to do math in my head just to see if we have the budget for the restaurant we’re standing in front of. : )

10 Jennifer August 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Thanks so much for sharing Ashley’s story. We were where she is not too long ago, and I love to read these stories.

11 Stoich91 August 31, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Great links, as always! And yes, three cheers for Ashley. I’ve been following her blog for so long it feels like we are family. What a sweet family and an amazing story…reminds me of some other lovely blogger I know ;)

12 Design Mom August 31, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Three Cheers for Ashley is right! I’m so impressed with her. What an example of a great human being.

13 Christine August 31, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Ahh this picture reminds me of summers spent hiking in the French Alps.. it’s like a fairy tale! A few summers ago I took a road trip from Paris to Zurich, and Switzerland is seriously one of the most beautiful countries I’ve ever visited — the landscapes are so vibrant and green, and the air feels so fresh. Enjoy your weekend!

14 Jenna at Homeslice August 31, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I loved reading the adoption story… thanks for sharing. So sweet.

15 Cathy August 31, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Please keep us posted about the young mother with breast cancer. Did she get the interview with Lady Gaga and the opportunity to design a dress for her?

16 amy September 1, 2012 at 1:41 am

Thank you for the links. . . I was heart-broken and frustrated to read about the young monther with terminal breast cancer. I am a mother of 2 young girls and a Cleveland Clinic patient. I receive Cleveland Clinic newsletters, and one recently featured Dr. Vincent Tuohy, a CC doc who is ready to take a breast cancer vaccine to human trial, but is lacking the $6 mil required to manufacture the vaccine for trial. He believes the vaccine would have the same effect on breast cancer that the polio vaccine has had on that disease. Anyone can google Dr. Vincent Tuohy to read more about his story and see he is a real doctor at one of the nation’s best medical facilities. I read an article today that each presidental candidate has spent about $150 mil each on the campaign, and the biggest spending hasn’t even started. But we can’t fund a $6mil vaccine trial to end breast cancer?
How great would it be if everyone (including all the really big donors) would just take all the money they set aside for political donations, and instead give it to doctors and hospitals helping to crack the code of cancer (and not the very profitable non-profits who say they support cancer research but really don’t do it). Imagine a world with very few moms ever diagnosed with breast cancer. . .not to mention a world with a few less hours of snarky politcal campaign adds. . . .

17 Tasha Melita September 1, 2012 at 5:24 pm

YES, YES, YES!!!

18 Kate September 1, 2012 at 8:52 am

That’s an amazing photograph, by the way.

19 Laura Trevey September 1, 2012 at 8:54 am

Ahhh! Switzerland ~ I can feel the crisp air through the photo!

Welcome back ~

20 Oum September 3, 2012 at 2:52 am

Hope the first day of school is going well for the family ! Here, it is starting tomorrow and I am far from being ready :)

21 Lindsay Marie September 3, 2012 at 8:05 pm

ooh, I will be sure to stop by next week to see more pictures of my favorite place. I loved going on the Sound of Music tour! haha, it was so fun. The mountains were just truly breathtaking and I devoured pretzel rolls with butter and cheese the whole time, oh and chocolate of course. :)

22 Sarah Barksdale Design September 4, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I have always wanted to go to Switzerland!