A Few Things

August 10, 2012

Hello, Friends! What an unusual week it’s been. Lots of big events in my life both personally and professionally. Some sad. Some exciting — Alt Summit SLC sold out in an hour! All I want to do this weekend is sit still. Though the weather is so nice right now, I’m being tempted outside as I type. So maybe sitting still will turn into a summer walk. : )

One thing I’m really looking forward to: we have an appointment this evening to visit a tiny stone cottage (I mean tiny with a little t) that’s for sale. Ben Blair and I have talked and talked about this possibility, but this is the first time we’re actually going to see a property. I have no idea if we’ll like the home, but it feels good to take action! What are you looking forward to this weekend?

While I finish up my work week, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:
- Does this chair make you nervous?
- Funny. Famous album covers recreated with socks.
- How to raise successful children. Interesting.
- One Big Photo makes me want to travel even more.
- Thinking about farm tables (these have modern twists).
- Henry the Flying Baby is just what my heart needed today.
- And then this melted it all over again. I miss my siblings!
- Lots of great pins this week.

And here are some fun slideshows on Babble:
- 21 Ways to Display, Store & Use Your Kids’ Art.
- Braided Updos! It’s too hot to leave your hair down.
- Ikea Furniture Remix: 22 Awesome Hacks.
- Late Summer Boredom? Try these Kid-Friendly Crafts.
- DIY Party Decor: Tons of Inspirations Ideas!

I hope you have a marvelous weekend! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already!

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — On the way home from the Olympics we stopped at Leeds Castle. The grounds are amazing! And they have excellent spaces for kids.

1 Janae @ Bring-Joy August 10, 2012 at 7:34 am

Gabriella, sorry about your grandmother. Loss, even if it comes as expected, after a long life, is still terribly difficult. My condolences.

Congrats on the success of Alt! I’m actually going for the first time this year. I knew it was going to sell out, so I had my fingers on my keyboard at 11:59 am, & registered at noon. Super excited, now I just have to wait 5 months!

2 Jenny P August 10, 2012 at 8:21 am

I love the IKEA hacks site! I have a love/hate relationship with IKEA. Everything looks so wonderful in the catalog and even in the store, but then when I get it home, I’m often disappointed. Of course there are some exceptions, rugs, accessories, my son’s $25 highchair, etc. My bedroom is a sad place where IKEA furniture goes to die. Lots of broken drawers…

3 Sur August 10, 2012 at 8:23 am

Am so in love with the diy Chandelier!! Got to do it…some time soon :)

4 SarahBeth August 10, 2012 at 8:55 am

Gabrielle:
Keeping you and your Grandmother in my thoughts and prayers.

This was quite possibly my favorite “A Few Things” post ever. So much inspiration!

5 JulieG August 10, 2012 at 10:24 am

So sorry to hear about your Grandmother – love, thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
Thank you for being such an inspiration Gabrielle. My children older than yours, but you inspire me to be the best parent I can in the time they have left at home – precious days.
Your London Olympics post even inspired me to be a tourist in my own city – we have just got back from pottering around St. Katherine’s Dock, looking at the rings on Tower Bridge and a boat ride down the river – your zest for life is catching! x

6 Giulia August 10, 2012 at 11:17 am

Loved that article about raising successful children.
Congratulations on ALT, you guys are really rocking it and I so look forward to going to ALT NY! Have fun checking out that cottage – saw some Instagrams and it looks charming.
Have a wonderful weekend.

7 courtney August 10, 2012 at 11:17 am

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother’s passing. Death is always a shock, no matter how it comes. But you have your wonderful memories to sustain you.

This weekend will be a nice mix of play and downtime – a pontoon boat ride with the family; an outdoor concert with my husband; a lovely baby shower with my daughter. And hopefully lots of time to sit in the yard/park/garden and enjoy the warm sunshine!

8 Grace @ sense and simplicity August 10, 2012 at 11:50 am

I love the past and present photos of the four sister – they did a fantastic job of recreating the scenes, clothes, and even the facial expressions. Too funny.

9 Barchbo August 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm

My condolences on your grandmother, Gabby. We are never ready, are we? At least, I’m not. I hope your weekend ahead brings you lots of healing and peace.

To abruptly switch topics: WOW on ALT! Kudos to you for developing such a great conference! I cannot wait to read all about it. Someday I will make it to SLC for the Main Event! :)

10 Christina @ Homemade Ocean August 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

YOUR FRIDAY POSTS ARE MY FAVORITE!

11 Shannon { A Mom's Year } August 10, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I love Leeds Castle! My mom, grandma, and I got lost in the maze there and nearly missed our bus! But we didn’t care because we were so happy to finally be in England.

Thanks for the fun links, and have fun visiting the tiny cottage.

12 lebenslustiger August 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Thanks for the wonderful links!

13 Sonya August 11, 2012 at 10:51 am

Oh my, a tiny stone cottage, in France? To purchase!?! How romantic! DO IT!!!

14 Kayce Hughes August 11, 2012 at 9:31 pm

So sorry about your loss.
Looking forward to hearing about the cottage!

15 Andreia August 12, 2012 at 8:07 am

Wow Gabrielle, I’m loving your blog. I have to come here more often. There are lots of interesting posts and great topics for me, a working at home mother of four adorable little children! And I think I might learn a lot from your experience as a mother of six :)

Wish you a great weekend!

16 Gina August 13, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I am impossibly behind on all reading and catch up this Summer!! — and you just keep going! Amazing! I hope the Olympics were wonderful and am again so sorry to hear about your Grandmother. She sounds like she had such a big presence in your life.
Thank you for taking the time with such a full array of interesting Friday links! Can’t wait to catch up the the weekend reading… by the weekend!
Last, sob — I can’t believe I’ve actually missed ALT! I’m so new to this all — I had bookmarked it in my mind that this was “the one” and will now have to do so and count down for a year (unless miracles happen!…I’ve read the facebook/twitter suggestions). You must be so proud to have created something like this!