A Few Things

August 3, 2012

Hello, Friends! I hope you’ve had a wonderful week. We keep laughing at how long it’s taking us to adjust to French time. I was sure we’d be settled by this morning, but 5 of our 6 kids (everyone but Betty) woke up last night between 2:00am and 5:00am and hung out in our bedroom. Hah! So we ended up cancelling our morning appointments and sleeping in as long as possible. Do you have any crazy jet lag stories? Feel free to commiserate with me. : )

In happier news, we have Olympic roadtrip plans this weekend and we’re excited! We drive to Calais, France in the morning and take a ferry to Dover, England. We’ll spend Sunday in London and head back the next day. A very short trip! But it should be lots of fun. Readers in London have been sending in tips to get the most out of our time there. Feel free to add your own if you have any advice. We need all the help we can get. We can’t wait to soak up the Olympics atmosphere!

It seems crazy to be taking a roadtrip when we’re not even over our jetlag yet. But it seems even more crazy to have the Olympics so close and not join the fun. So we’re going for it! Will you be watching the Olympics this weekend? Any other fun plans?

While we get packed up, here are a few things I’ve wanted to share with you:
- Albert Einstein gets some new knits!
- A much safer succulent.
- A site overflowing with lovely advice.
- Airstream makeover.
- Lots of fantastic pins this week.

Plus, 3 of my posts on Cafémom:
- Creative + Functional Home Offices.
- The Coolest Backyard Chicken Coops.
- A beautiful Nursery in a Master Bedroom Nook.

And 3 fun slideshows on Babble (have you noticed how speedy they are now?):
- 21 Etsy Shops You Don’t Want to Miss.
- Love comfy sneakers? Here are 23 Stylish Outfits You Can Wear With Sneakers.
- 21 Clever Toy Storage Solutions. <– Yes to this.

I hope you have a fantastic weekend. I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already!

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — You can follow along on our Olympic Weekend on Instagram or Twitter.

1 TracieOB August 3, 2012 at 10:32 am

Funny story about jet lag in Ireland – When my now 21 yr old son was just over 2, his father and I went to Ireland. The plane left LAX about 7pm so he was able to sleep the entire flight. Once we got to Ireland, boy was his clock off. So at 2:00a.m. Ireland time, he and his father took a walk around the seaside town we were in. They ran across someone and asked “where is the sea”? I am sure it was quite the sight to see this crazy American with his 2 yr old propped on his shoulders walking around in the middle of the night!!

2 Lou August 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

Hope you enjoy your trip to London!

I’m volunteering at the Olympic Stadium during the Olympics, so I get to soak up the atmosphere no end :D The organisers gave me a free ticket to one of the rehearsals for the Opening Ceremony as thanks for volunteering and it was beyond awesome to sit in the crowd and watch it.

3 Kellie August 3, 2012 at 11:11 am

When we lived in Wales while my husband was in graduate school, my 6-month-old daughter and I flew back to the States to visit family. On our return to the UK, her body clock was having a hard time adjusting. For several nights, she would be awake in the middle of the night, ready to play. I was so desperate for sleep I would strap her into her stroller and take her out for walks, trying to get her to fall asleep! I still remember how cold I was, and how the yellow light of those sodium vapor lamps made everything look so strange, especially in my exhausted state!

4 The New Diplomats Wife August 3, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Enjoy the olympics! And how lovely to come in on the ferry – take lots of pictures of the white cliffs of Dover! I’ve been wanting to see them for years but my attempts so far have always been thwarted – I’ve only seen them from the airplane.

And PS – jetlag coming to Europe is the worst – going the other way is somehow much easier! Easiest way to get over it is just to plow through the first day or two even though you’re dying for a nap.

5 Carolina August 3, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I have fond(?) memories of taking my then 2-year-old son out for walks at 3:00 am in Brussels during a 10 day trip to Europe and watching bar patrons leave the bars as they closed around 4:00 am (they were all quite amused to see a toddler wandering the streets of Brussels). My son never adjusted to the time difference during that trip. While it was a hassle on the trip, it sure was nice when we returned home to the States. We walked into our house at 7:00 pm, put our suitcases down, and put our son to bed. He slept until 8:00 am the next morning. It was if the trip had just been a bad dream for him!

6 Lisa August 3, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Have a great time in London! One tip – I heard you may also be able to purchase tickets to just the Olympic Park for a small fee even if you do not have tickets to any of the events. Check in person when you arrive!

7 Marlena August 3, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Our jet lag story: we went to Okinawa with our then 2.75-year-old. She didn’t sleep at all on the way there, but fell asleep when we got there. Since it was night, when we woke up we had no jet lag. On the way back, no sleep again, and then she slept from noon until midnight. The next day from 1 p.m. to 1 a.m. Once we went back to work we were whacked out of our minds by jetlag, but she adjusted when she was back in preschool.

8 Kelly Harp August 3, 2012 at 1:19 pm

hope you guys have a fab weekend! i dont know how the Olympics will have changes London since we were there in November, (closings/traffic, etc), but we REALLY loved the Diana, Princess of Wales playground. its really large with several fun playscapes, is all fenced in with one entrance/exit, & also has a super little cafe – perfect kid food thats also somewhat healthy & reasonably priced (& also coffee!).
as far as off the beaten path, i LOVED broadway market for yummo food & crafties & there’s a nice park right there, too, as well as Hackney City Farm, which was really nice & quaint – perfect for kiddos – with a fab, farm-fresh cafe. not sure Hackney is close to any olympic venues, but just in case you find yourself there. happy travels!

9 Amanda August 3, 2012 at 1:24 pm

When the Olympics were in SLC in 2002, my husband and I had the opportunity to attend some events. While the regular events were great, they didn’t hold a candle the inspirational power of the Paralympic events we went to. I had chills all over my body watching skiers with no arms/legs fly down the regular Olympic courses. I then began to cry when I saw the blind skiers do the same, (with their guides radio-ing directions directly ahead of them). There are simply no words to describe it.

That day I promised myself that one day when I had my own family I would take my children to watch the Paralympic games. I have a special place in my heart for Paralympians because I was raised with a beloved grandfather who was paraplegic, and who had been a gorgeous swimmer before he was paralyzed. I’ve often mused how in a different time and place, he would have been one of the passionate athlete competing against others with similar “dis”-abilities. There was simply nothing like it back then, but thank goodness they exist now. . .

As a result I have fantasized that were I ever geographically close enough I would experience this with my kids. I want them to see and feel just how possible it is to overcome difficult challenges in our lives. Nothings visually expresses that quite as poetically as these athletes. Please say you’ll do it for me!?! My kids, who are some of “Olive Us”s biggest fans would be over the moon to see the pictures of your children experiencing this.

From what I understand, usually the Paralympic games take place directly after the regular Olympics. They even have their own opening ceremonies, (my husband attended the one in SLC–amazing! Stevie Wonder performed.) All the tickets for these events are also much less expensive, so it makes seeing it with a family much more doable.

10 sarah August 3, 2012 at 2:37 pm

i just knew you would go to london. how could you not? have fun and hope you get to see something.

11 Corinne August 3, 2012 at 5:55 pm

When we moved to England, my son was a few months old. He was up from one to four one night and nothing we did would help him go back to sleep until my husband finally tried the “blanket trick” a friend had showed us– swinging baby back and forth in a blanket. I still remember my husband wearily swinging baby back and forth and back and forth, a few inches from the floor, with his eyes closed. Good times! We still miss Enlgand. Hope you have a wonderful time. We always loved taking the ferry across the channel.

12 Allie August 3, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Have a wonderful time at the Olympics! I envy the opportunity to get to see the women’s marathon, which is on Sunday! A free event featuring some of the most amazing female athletes in the world…what’s not to love! Have fun!

13 Jillian in Italy August 4, 2012 at 3:37 am

Oh yes we have many jet lag experiences. I don’t mind the 2am breakfasts at home but when you’re in a bed and breakfast with 3 kids under 2 and they’re wound up and giggling at 2am it’s a different story. But it’s all part of the experience!

14 Lisa August 5, 2012 at 9:02 pm

We just returned from London and the Olympics and had a fabulous time. We were able to see some Swimming, Gymnastics, Rowing and Beach Volleyball. The venues were fabulous and the spirit of the Olympic games was everywhere. During our visit, we worked in a trip out to Windsor Castle and we also spent our last day in London walking around the city and sightseeing. We experienced a ride on the Eye, toured Westminster Abbey, had lunch at a wonderful cafe in Knightsbridge and hung out at the Olympic park. That’s a great spot to really soak it all in and there is so much to do there. Have a wonderful trip!

15 Nur Hanani August 5, 2012 at 9:11 pm

We visited my family in Toronto for a month and when we returned home had a week of jetlag! My daughters woke up at 1am (Toronto time) and won’t sleep again until 1pm the next day. My husband and I were not excluded either. I realised jetlag can make you feel tired in a strange way and now I can relate when my parents tell me they’re having a jetlag when they’re back here in Malaysia!

16 trina August 5, 2012 at 9:41 pm

How fun! Hope you guys have a blast… I’m enjoying the pics on Instagram!

xo . trina

17 Béa August 6, 2012 at 4:24 am

Just because I’ve recently been told about it, have you ever heard of foap? had any feedback on it?
Although still limited, I do like their ‘mission’ concept.
Thanks and welcome back!

18 Nicki August 6, 2012 at 11:22 am

Glad you came to London! From my garden today I can hear the crowds cheer in Greenwich Park- it’s an uplifting experience. We’re having the best time and don’t want it to end in September! Best Wishes

19 Amanda August 6, 2012 at 7:30 pm

What a wonderful opportunity for you to see the Olympics! I hope you had a lovely time, and I hope my family and I can go someday as well. :-)

20 My Traveling Troop August 7, 2012 at 2:06 am

Good luck getting used to the time change!

My family recently moved to Singapore from California — a whopping 15 hour time difference! My toddler and I ended up having dance parties around 3am (our bodies thought it was around noon). And we even sang in our hair brushes! Eventually, though, we got used to the time difference. But we sure did make the best of those late nights!

Cheers,
Kristina

21 marymary August 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Next time, you could try the Harvard Business Review’s recommended trick of using fasting to combat jet lag: http://blogs.hbr.org/health-and-well-being/2009/05/a-fast-solution-to-jet-lag.html

Supposedly food — or lack of it — can reset circadian rhythms faster than light or dark. If you try it, tell us all if it works!