Worn Out

July 12, 2012

Don’t these well-worn sneakers take you back to the summers of your childhood? We all had a pair. By August, they smelled like adventure and every creek and mud puddle we unsuccessfully hopped, and looked ready for the trash, but we swore we’d never throw them away.

Do you still wear summer shoes? I hope you do! Tell me where they’ve taken you so far, will you?

Vans found here.

P.S. — I’m currently in St. George, Utah (the hot, hot desert) and last night, a rain storm came through. What luck! Desert storms are amazing — the scent was so distinctive, my entire childhood came rushing at me.

1 Janae @ Bring-Joy July 12, 2012 at 9:26 am

Never had worn out sneakers–I always went barefoot!

Since we had a pool in our large backyard, most time was spent going from treehouse, to trampoline, to pool, then to kitchen for otter pops & PB & J sandwiches. Ahh, to go back to that kind of care-free life…!

2 rachel schindler July 12, 2012 at 9:30 am

This is just too funny…I just posted on the same thing about the weather, only I live in Arizona. I LOVE the smell of rain on the desert. Also, at 50 years old I still love tennis shoes, not old lady tennis shoes, but sneakers like I wore when I was a kid. My husband says, really? Another pair of sneakers? Ha Ha…

3 Jillian in Italy July 12, 2012 at 9:37 am

I still have Birkenstocks that I bought in the late eighties and I wear them all the time. And they’re still as comfortable and ugly (in a good way) now as they were back then.

4 Marae July 12, 2012 at 9:56 am

have you read dandelion wine? there’s a great part about summer sneakers…

5 TJ July 12, 2012 at 11:59 am

Mine are so worn out and full of holes and stains! My stains include milk (from spilled buckets when the goat kicks) chicken “stuff”, sheep fluff, and other barnyard smells :) I wouldn’t dare take a photo! Your’s look as if they are in better shape than mine! We live just south of SLC, so glad you got some rain! We’re hoping… hoping…. hoping….for more everywhere in the west!

6 val July 12, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Our summer shoes have evolved from sneakers to closed-toe river shoes, and each of us own a pair (My husband and 6 kids too!) We’ve traveled many hiking miles in our shoes. We love the National Parks, and are close to two — Yellowstone and Craters of the Moon. We love getting off the beaten path, and with these shoes we’ve found a way to fiord streams and walk through sloshy fields without utterly destroying our shoes or killing our feet!

7 Megan - pretty things for parties July 12, 2012 at 1:09 pm

MIne are Vans too! I wear them at the beach and on boats – no marks. Plus you don’t need socks!

I love that you have mentioned the smell of summer desert storms (Jordan recently mentioned them also:) I live in AZ and summer storms are the most amazing thing! Last night I payed special attention to all of the little details that make them so unique. I’ve always assumed all rainstorms were basically the same. It’s amazing how the desert inhales all the rain in one big gulp and instantly transforms. What a sweet summer detail you helped me remember!

8 julie July 12, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Isn’t this desert amazing . . . I live in Ivins, just outside of St. George, and we didn’t get a drop last night! I could smell it in the air when I went out to feed the chickens in my flip flops this morning though. I am always amazed how one area gets drenched and a few miles away is dry. Yep, my summer shoes are flip flops. They last forever and are easy to wash off when I garden or feed. Growing up in AZ it was barefeet for me, and hauraches http://pinterest.com/pin/28780885089210837/
or flip flops for dressin’ up.

9 Tamsin July 12, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I have a pair of worn out shoes in my closet that we affectionately call my “adventure shoes”. I worked on a film set in them, climbed Prekestolen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preikestolen) in Norway in them, along with quite a few other hikes, visited a handful of different countries and finally got engaged in them. Not bad for $10!

10 Caitlin July 13, 2012 at 7:33 am

My feet are happiest when they are naked as can be. If pressed to wear shoes, I prefer flipflops. Chacos if I’m out doing something hardcore. And I have a pair of running shoes that were meant just for my feet and my feet just for them – they’re pretty ragged after so many miles, but I still keep them around.

As for where my shoes have taken me – whew, that’s a long list. From Alaska to Florida, to Utah, to California, out to France and all over Europe. I love going out and having adventures, be they big or small.

11 Flori Christensen July 13, 2012 at 8:32 am

Yes, you must read the Dandelion Wine chapter about summer shoes. It is perfect.
I had the same experience as you with rain in St. George. I grew up in SLC, but have lived in the Midwest and East for many years. I happened to be visiting southern Utah a few years ago and there was a sudden rainstorm. When I stepped outside, I was overcome by the smell of rain on the hot, dry pavement and the scent of desert sage. So many memories and feelings came over me in just that moment and I couldn’t believe that rain can smell so differently in different places.

12 Lamchops July 13, 2012 at 10:25 am

Haleluah for the rain! We just got some more last night here in the SG. It was a good thing too. It almost got rid of the Looming fire smoke & smell. Got to love those S.U. summer storms!

13 julie July 13, 2012 at 10:51 am

We could smell the smoke strong last night in Ivins too, and then we learned there was a lightning fire on the AZ strip, a big one; the only bad thing about our desert thunderstorms. This morning is so beautiful and refreshingly cool after 112° temperatures. More rain coming and we hope it continues to help the firefighting efforts and give us needed reprieve from the heat.

14 Judy July 16, 2012 at 7:40 am
15 Maria July 16, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I’ve worn Birkenstocks all over the world! And I had a pair of checked Vans slip ons (rasberry and blue) that I LOVED and wore throughout art school. These days, unless it’s winter (uggs) I’m wearing Birks. No uncomfy shoes for this girl!

16 kelleyn July 16, 2012 at 6:15 pm

My summer shoes have taken me to Mian, Cinque Terre, Naples and now Sicily and after being in Europe for three months they will take me back to Atlanta, Georgia. They can’t wait to walk in the red clay, but at the moment they are being splashed with salt water from the sea!

17 Julie July 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I love old and ragged shoes These vans are great !