Mullet Skirts

July 19, 2012

Have you ventured into the wildly wonderful world of mullet skirts? Similar to the often unfortunate hairstyle, they’re a party in the front and business in the back. Or, more accurately, mini in the front and maxi in the back!

I find the line interesting, don’t you? Equal parts daring and conservative, which is perfect for those of us who can’t seem to make up our minds! What do you think? Is your summer wardrobe craving a little dichotomy?

Photo of the adorable Jessie and her happy patterns via Style and Pepper.

1 Christa the BabbyMama July 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I wore what I suppose would be the toned down version yesterday. I’m not jonesing for a micro in the front and conservative in the back, though. I like to keep my knees covered most of the time!

2 vermontmommy July 19, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I don’t have one but I have seen several with them. I love that you called it a Mullet Skirt! They are not my thing…

3 Shannon(8foot6) July 19, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I have a grey one and i love it!
I find maxi skirts too hot…these are breezey…I love mine!

4 Jessie July 19, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Oooh, excited to hear what everyone thinks! ;) Obviously, I’m a big fan of the style, and I wear this one all the time! :)

5 corinne July 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm

darling!

6 Martha July 20, 2012 at 4:05 pm

yes! so awesome. love the whole outfit. i’ve never seen such a drastic hi-low skirt (never heard them called mullet skirts, but i like that, too) and it’s really cute on you. i pinned it!

7 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay July 19, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Mullet! Hee Hee.

Meh on the mullet.

I would like a little dichotomy in some other form…. but what?

8 Renae July 19, 2012 at 1:34 pm

My teens love them–albeit longer in front t00–at least to the knees. I don’t have one yet, but if nothing else this style of skirt sure keeps women from flashing too much in back when they bend over to get something.

Hallelujah for that much!

9 bdaiss July 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I just bought a pleated bright green one at Target last week. Although not this extreme mullet. I like them when more moderate and for fun, about town. I don’t love the red carpet mullet trend.

10 jóhanna July 19, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Just bought one on a whim (and a huge discount) today. Have yet to wear it but love the styling on the picture you posted.

11 My Name is Jacy July 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

LOL! I love the title Mullet Skirt… I hadn’t thought of that! I actually just bought a really cute Mullet Dress from Target a few weeks back. Haven’t worn it yet (because it’s the really loose fabric and my back side looks slightly jiggly…haha!) BUT I plan to head BACK into Target to buy a girdle type thing…. and then I will be wearing sporting my mullet :)

12 Kristi July 19, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I wish I had her body. I do not wish I had her skirt.

13 Kelly July 19, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I like my “hi-lo” skirt (not as short as this one) because while I like maxi’s, my legs are one of my better features and they’re very hidden by maxis…so I like the compromise!

14 Wendy McSwain July 19, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I ordered a cute dress from modcloth with this hemline. I’m sure I ordered the wrong size, but it was definitely too short in the front. And I had the distinct feeling that I had a tell. I like the look, but not on this mama!

15 Wendy McSwain July 19, 2012 at 7:09 pm

A tale, not a tell. Although I did “tell” myself to take it off!

16 kasia jacquot July 19, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I bought one but don’t like to wear it on its own so I wear another skirt under it, usually with a pattern and it looks lovely together :)

17 mandi@herbanhomestead July 19, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I really like this look. I have a few (although mine wouldn’t be considered a ‘mini’ in the front, they are right at the knee) and I love them!

18 Amanda July 19, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I bought 3 dresses from Tea Collection for my daughters (4,6,7) that have this line. So fun on them and they feel so fancy. I can’t quite do it for myself.

19 Jen @ RamblingRenovators July 19, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I haven’t yet but I’m curious to try them. I think they would be comfortable to wear…I hate it when the backs of my knees stick to the chair and this would take care of that!

20 Sarah July 19, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Holy cow! I had a 1950s dress altered just like this for my prom 18 yrs ago!! Too funny,thanks for bringing back that memory. Mullet skirt, love it…

21 Jessica @shimmerkai July 19, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I just bought one of these…I’m a fan! Lovely pic

22 hillary July 19, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I like them because I think they’re mom-friendly. A little sexy in front, but you can bend over and pick up your little kids without showing your rear end. It’s win-win.

23 nicole i July 20, 2012 at 12:23 am

perhaps the word mullet says it all.

24 Jane July 20, 2012 at 7:23 am

I have been pondering on them for a couple of months. I’d like to like them because interesting hemlines are fun, but I find them so extreme that they look unbalanced. They don’t look right to me.

25 carole July 20, 2012 at 7:27 am

I have not seen one in real life I thought looked flattering and they seem too gimmicky. I predict this is a short lived fad one will regret finding hanging in closets next season.

26 Deborah July 20, 2012 at 7:54 am

Not so much. I think it will be a short lived trend, and I tend to invest on classic clothing that will stay the course.

27 Shawna Greenway July 20, 2012 at 8:14 am

I vote no. Maybe good “throwaway clothes” for teens ala H&M or Forever 21 but I wouldn’t wear one. They just look goofy.

28 Beth July 20, 2012 at 8:17 am

I’m wearing one right now! Kelly green, soft, t-shirt fabric and I love it!

29 Beth July 20, 2012 at 8:20 am

But let me clairfy…mine is not as extreme as the one pictured here. It goes to my knees in the front:)

30 hyzen July 20, 2012 at 8:25 am

That skirt looks very cute on her, but generally, no, I do not like this style–I agree with the comment that it feels unbalanced, and not just these extreme versions, but also the slight ones. I tried one on and couldn’t shake the feeling that I should be tugging at it to make it even. Maybe it’s my Monk-like tendencies.

31 Mary J July 20, 2012 at 10:42 am

Not sure what I think about the skirt, but that woman has rocking arms.

32 Kristin July 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I love this skirt, I want to know the secret to the amazing looking arms.

33 trina July 20, 2012 at 2:50 pm

this just totally made me crack up. mullet skirt. I have a very conservative mullet skirt. Just goes above the ankle and then kind of drags a bit in the back. I love it. Love Jesse…she is such a doll!
xo and happy weekend!
Trina

34 Melissa July 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I think they are absolutely ridiculous looking and the fact that they’re called a mullet skirt isn’t helping them out any!

35 kage July 20, 2012 at 9:34 pm

HATE!

36 Ann July 21, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I tried one from whole foods! Imagine dresses from there!? I was so surprised. It looked super cute on the hanger but not on moi! It was not as long as this one pictured.

37 Amber July 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm

To be honest, I will probably follow my typical pattern when it comes to clothing trends:

Right now I don’t care for the look but in a few months when losts of stylish people have been wearing them I’ll probably start to crush on it. Then I’ll hem and haw and start a pinterest board for mullet skirts and start to shop around for them.

Right when I finally purchase my new mullet skirt, the on-trend fashionistas will have moved on to wearing skirts that are short in back and long in front. And then I’ll repeat my cycle all over again…

38 Patricia ¦ unfounddoor July 21, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Haha! Pre-empt by turning your mullet skirt backwards now? ;)

39 Patricia ¦ unfounddoor July 21, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Oooooh, no. I don’t endorse the mullet skirt (although the red carpet fondness for it last year provided the fuggirls with some funny fodder, for which I am grateful.)
I’d like to justify my antipathy on some rational grounds of unbalanced proportions etc, but … sometimes you just don’t like. (like pointy toed shoes, cargo pants or those terrifying flip flops with heels)
I get the desire for dichotomy though – I like a loose shirt with a high-ish neck and open back for breezy summer-wear.

40 cbloe's mom July 22, 2012 at 9:50 am

i love the skirt paired with the sweater,
but i covet her beautiful t shirt arms more.

41 Priti July 23, 2012 at 5:02 am

I would like the look of Mullet Skirt.This style of skirt is look very cool and awesome.

42 Design Mom July 23, 2012 at 11:50 am

Can I just say how much I love the comments on this post? You guys always make me smile.

43 liz bohannon July 23, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Yay!! Jessie is a dear friend and old KC neighbor of ours. So fun to see her on one of my favorite blogs! As for the mullet skirts–I feel pretty similar to how I feel about the hair cut. While in theory I endorse the “Business in the Front // Party in the Back” concept (but perhaps reversed with the skirt?) I can’t get behind the mullet skirt trend. But Jessie is still certainly a go-to for fantastic style. Love it!

44 Emily Beam July 24, 2012 at 9:12 am

Ahh yes I love high-low skirts! This is so cute -Emily

45 Jennifer July 25, 2012 at 7:17 pm

This is the first example I’ve seen of this looking cute (adorably/awesome, actually).

46 Lily December 8, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I wang one soo badly

47 Flo Munro November 3, 2013 at 2:46 am

OMG, i made a mullet skirt from a fabric so nice, and justed cut out a circle, and followed the instructions and walla. fabulous. my grandkids love these mullet skirts, you can dress them up and dress them down, so much to do with them, im making a few more, im playn with different fabrics, so cool. thanks guys for the tips and how to DIY tips.