Kindred Clothing

July 2, 2012

If you send Kindred one of your beloved shirts, they’ll transform it into something sweet your baby or toddler can wear. I just love the whole concept!

Kindred was founded by Simone and Heike, who both hail from South Germany but found each other as friends in New York. It’s a company sparked by quality and simplicity and a conscious response to today’s throw-away culture. Imagine your husband’s button-down turned into a sweet romper, or your mom’s dress turned into a pair of bloomers. It would be an instant heirloom!

I’m completely sold on clothes that last a few lifetimes, partly due to my family’s reliance on hand-me-downs. But also, I just love seeing good design in action, don’t you?

P.S. — Remember this polkadot romper? It was made for Baby June from one of my favorite shirts.

1 Christa the BabbyMama July 2, 2012 at 7:45 am

I think this post just re-energized me! I have planned forever to make the P. some dresses from my husbands old shirts but I’ve just not gotten around to it. I want to before she gets too big!

2 Janae @ Bring-Joy July 2, 2012 at 8:06 am

What a brilliant idea! Come to think of it, why hasn’t this concept just exploded in popularity. Seems like such a great way to recycle clothes.

3 Cathy July 2, 2012 at 8:35 am

When my husband was in grad school, his favorite blue striped white shirts eventually became worn in the cuffs and collar. There was enough good fabric that I was able to sew our toddler daughter a couple of summer jumpers (simple A-line, with neckline small back closure of one button).

4 Tan July 2, 2012 at 10:05 am

What a fantastic idea! I just love remaking old things into something new

5 Caitlin July 2, 2012 at 10:26 am

What an awesome idea! I love the thought of an instant-heirloom.

6 Ashley July 2, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I personally know Simone and she is lovely! The clothing is just gorgeous. These pictures don’t even come close to how pretty they are in person. Impeccable craftsmanship and sweet details make this worth the price and are worthy of framing after your child grows out of it!

7 Gin July 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I love the white shirt on that little girl. What a sweet photo. I think that would be tons of fun to create something different with the different cloths they get.

8 Kate July 2, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I have sticker shock from clicking through to the Kindred website. The concept and craftmanship are lovely; the pricing is not. Eek! Even for a “family heirloom” piece, I can’t see spending $175 to turn my dad’s plaid shirt into a romper. But to each his own, because I’m sure in someone else’s view I spend too much on other things.

9 Miranda July 2, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Wow. They have some fantastic silhouettes. I love the european-inspired look of their children’s clothes. Gets my wheels turnin:)

10 Cheryl Burchett July 3, 2012 at 5:23 am

I LOVE making baby cloths out of adult clothing, but I use thrifted t-shirts rather than family heirlooms. The designs can be SO fun and the price is right! Check out the infant gown that I made using an old shirt and a sock for the trim! http://lydiaburchett.blogspot.com/2012/04/adult-t-shirt-turned-baby-gown.html

11 Cheryl Burchett July 3, 2012 at 5:26 am

Here is one more making a romper from a $2 shirt. Even though it’s not an heirloom, the Chevy symbol on the shirt means a lot to my Car Guy husband and father in law. http://lydiaburchett.blogspot.com/2012/04/2-and-2-hours-so-far.html