A Few Things

July 20, 2012

Hello, Friends! Did you have a good week? Is July flying by for anyone else? So speedy! We have had a wonderful time in Utah — reunion-ing and working on projects. And tomorrow morning, we’ll get on the road again and head to Colorado for the last leg of our trip. We are, of course, devastated about last night’s events in Colorado and have those communities in mind as we head in their direction. Such heartbreaking news.

While we make our last visits and say goodbye to our friends and family in Utah, here are a few things I hope you’ll enjoy:

- I can’t imagine anyone minding this graffiti!

- Turn your swing set into a tent. (While you’re there, take a peek at this genius mini hulk costume!)

- This would be a lovely way to commute.

- Noisy typer! Ha!

- What is it about dutch doors? I’m kind of obsessed.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already!

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — During filming, in between takes, the kids took advantage of my mom’s reading nook. Maude read Cheaper By The Dozen and Ralph read Animal Farm. The image above is how summer looks in my imagination. What have you been reading this summer?

1 mary July 20, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I love almost everything you posted today, especially the Danish superhighway for bikes! They look so chic on their way to work! :) The dutch doors are very adorable but very dangerous with young, mischievous children around. A few months ago my 5 year old shut the top half of a dutch door when my hand was resting on the bottom half. It is a pain my fingers remember clearly to this day.

2 Design Mom July 23, 2012 at 11:42 am

Ouch!

3 Amy July 20, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I have spent lots of time this summer reading with my six year old daughter. She learned to really read last school year and is thoroughly enjoying reading on her own. We both lounge on her daybed and read together. It is something I have looked forward to over the years as I have read to her. I am currently reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

4 Design Mom July 23, 2012 at 11:43 am

Your description sounds lovely, Amy.

5 The New Diplomat's Wife July 20, 2012 at 7:06 pm

We just got back from vacation so I had a bit of time to catch up on reading. I just read Joan Didion’s Blue Nights about her memories of her daughter, very touching. Also read “Home Game” (an accidental guide to fatherhood) by Michael Lewis – the same guy that wrote Liar’s Poker and Moneyball. It’s all about bringing up baby but from a father’s perspective which you so rarely get to hear, plus, he’s just hysterical. Recommend both!

6 Design Mom July 23, 2012 at 11:43 am

Thanks for the recommendation of Home Game. I think I’ll try it.

7 keisha July 20, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Hey! Just saw you on HGTV. Your home and your family are adorable.

8 Design Mom July 23, 2012 at 11:44 am

Did you guess what house we would pick? : )

9 Gia July 20, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I just finished “Let’s Pretend This Never Happened” by Jenny Lawson. I laughed out loud several times while reading and started to scare the people waiting in the vet’s waiting room while my dog was getting a check up. A must read if you like a little irreverence and plenty of honesty.

10 Design Mom July 23, 2012 at 11:44 am

Jenny is one of my favorite writers in the world. I was sent an advance copy of her book and felt like it was a pot of gold!

11 Lucy Mitchell July 21, 2012 at 1:32 am

I have Let’s Pretend this Never Happened stored for my holiday in August. I’m not allowed touch it! I did have Mudbound by Hillary Jordan set aside too but I read the first page and could not put it down. Now I have to replace it, so it’s a toss up between Gone Girl and Where’d you go Bernadette by Maria Semple. Or Humble Companion by Laurie Graham. Or all three!

12 Design Mom July 23, 2012 at 11:44 am

Sounds like I need to check out Mudbound!

13 alexis_gentry July 21, 2012 at 9:58 am

Totally going to recommend a couple of books along the vein of ‘Cheaper by the Dozen’…you didn’t ask, I know. :) The best thing about having small children is that I get to read, read, READ with them—all of my favorites and lots more. Anyway, here are some books that I am sorry I didn’t know of when I was a pre-adolescent on the book prowl: The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright (all the Melendy books are FABULOUS), The Battle for Castle Cockatrice (also known as The Talking Parcel) by Gerald Durrell—-incredible, simply amazing imagery in this book! And if you are ever looking for any audiobooks by a brilliant reader, go to Kayray.org. She. Is. Incredible. And they’re free! Safe travels, gang. :)

14 Design Mom July 23, 2012 at 11:45 am

So glad for the recommendations — hadn’t heard of any of them! Maude will be so pleased.

15 Corinne July 21, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Your holiday sounds like it’s everything you needed. And that book nook! I want one right now. I’m curious – how do your children feel about America? Does France feel like home to them now, or do they want to go back to the US? I often wonder how long it takes for a new place to feel like home and is it quicker for kids? Safe travels!

16 Design Mom July 23, 2012 at 11:46 am

Good question, Corinne. They have LOVED being in America, but that’s partially because we have been vacationing the whole time — no chores, no lessons, and lots of time with cousins. : )

I imagine they currently feel at home in both places. We’ll have to see how they feel when we head back next week.

17 Sara July 22, 2012 at 8:54 am

I’ve always been obsessed with Dutch doors, too! Love the pics you found :).

Glad you’re enjoying your trip! Hope you’re getting time to relax, too!

18 Design Mom July 23, 2012 at 11:47 am

You’re so sweet, Sara! I think this week will be my chance to get a little down time. I’m hoping to watch lots of movies. Or read something really good.

19 Shawna Greenway - Brush Dance July 23, 2012 at 8:16 am

I just downloaded these three books to my iPad – “Let’s Pretend this Never Happened” by Jenny Lawson, “How To Be A Woman” by Caitlin Moran and “The Night Circus”. The plan is to only read these while working out at the gym – gotta have something to get me motivated to go everyday during the summer or else I’ll just be lounging on the backyard.

I LOVE Dutch doors! They are on the list of things to do to the house once the kids go away to college since I can see the kids purposely knocking each other in the head with them. It’s turning into quite a long list….

20 Design Mom July 23, 2012 at 11:47 am

Yay for fellow Dutch Door fans!

21 Anne July 23, 2012 at 8:44 am

I am back in the states after a year in Copenhagen and what I miss the most is the biking. Bike commuting is the norm and the bike paths in Denmark are a dream. Doing errands, grocery shopping and taking long bike hikes on a weekend day was just part of our everyday life. I hope we can get real biking options in our country. And I grew up with Dutch doors and finally replaced our front door with one last year. I love them.

22 Design Mom July 23, 2012 at 11:48 am

I’ve never been to Denmark, but in my head, it’s one of my favorite countries. Hah!

23 Anne July 23, 2012 at 8:43 pm

You shouldntry to make it up there before you leave Europe. An amazingly kid friendly place and Copenhagen has fantastic parks where kids can PLAY, even if they might fall down. There are good climbing trees for example. And all the museums have delightful children’s sections.

24 Corina July 23, 2012 at 10:21 am

Hi…
Our Aussie NJ, family is in Colorado this week too, travelling with daddy who is working. So beautiful here … we have had a wonderful 2 weeks in Steamboat and have just arrived in Beaver Creek.
I am reading “The Night Circus” by Erin Morgenstern as recommended to me by my 12 almost 13 year old.
My blog has fallen by the wayside but I will be returning to it in the fall.

25 Design Mom July 23, 2012 at 11:49 am

Hi Corina! Waving to you from the Denver area. Happy reading!