Yardwork

June 26, 2012

When we arrived home from a trip in April, we discovered the giant lavender shrubs at La Cressonnière had been removed. Surprise! The lavender bushes were BIG, so their absence made an impact. A few days later, Colette Sineux, the mother of the artist who owns this house, came to plant new ones.

Colette and her husband Roger (pronounced Ro-zhay), are two of the most wonderful people we’ve met here. We think of them as a model of a life well lived and we pay attention when they’re around.

One thing I took note of: she filled a bin with a few inches of water, and she would place the root ball in the water before she put it in the ground. Smart!

Another thing I took note of: her red shoes. : )

The lavender is already thriving and full of blooms. Colette has a green thumb! Any planting going on at your house this year?

P.S. — Last year we harvested lots and lots of lavender. I’m so glad we didn’t miss our chance!

1 Valerie {all mussed up} June 26, 2012 at 6:22 am

Colette is a darling! I love her red scrunchie/shirt/watch/shoes mojo. I’m hoping I have that kind of mojo in 40 years. (:

2 Mo June 26, 2012 at 6:27 am

Why did she remove the old shrubs? I need some info on lavender grooming, I’m slowly growing a field of it! I put it everywhere, it smells gorgeous and right now, it sounds amazing too, with all the bees and butterflies flying around!

3 Lauren June 26, 2012 at 6:49 am

Can’t wait to try soaking the root ball the next time I’m transplanting something! Seems like one of those “why didn’t I think of that?” things :)

4 Casandra June 26, 2012 at 9:08 am

My family and I were planting last Sunday: zinnia flowers, jamaica, lettuce, chilli peppers, beans, garlic, watermelons, pumpkins and zucchinis, beans and corn…. we got a complete vegetable field! :D

5 Leah June 26, 2012 at 9:43 am

I learned the soaking the root ball thing last summer from my landscaper when we planted our yard

6 Ann June 26, 2012 at 11:27 am

That is a great idea of keeping it in the water before it goes into the ground. I will try that next time. I planted some new lavender too in my front this summer. Even though we had a mild winter in Michigan most of my existing lavendar did not survive the harsh spring we had. Love the red shoes! I want some red crocs for the garden now or maybe toms. I’m always in flip flops in the garden and ruining my pedicure. Hmmm.

7 how2home June 26, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Wonderful yard work you have going on there! You should give this one a shot, its quite a trend right now! http://www.eieihome.com/blog/do-it-yourself-vertical-gardens.html

8 Roxanne June 26, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Nice post. My dad uses a similar idea. He digs the holes for planting, fills them with water and lets that sit for a bit before planting. He also puts the plants in a barrel or something full of water before planting. The roots are free and moist.

9 Sharm's Outlet July 9, 2012 at 6:39 am

I might plant a lavender corner in my front yard… this is beautiful… I notice her red shoes as well. I love the idea of soaking the root ball in the bucket of water. Very SMART indeed… Thanks for sharing…