We’re Coming to America

June 28, 2012

Eeek! We are at the airport in Paris right this minute. The whole family can barely contain our excitement. Olive even made a U.S.A. playlist for her iPod with songs like Neil Diamond’s America. Packing a family of 8 for a month-long trip was a challenge. And friends, I rocked it! High-fives all around!!

The best price on tickets happened to be on Iceland Air. So today, we fly from Paris to Reykjavik, and then non-stop from Iceland to Denver. Iceland! Have you ever been? It sounds so adventurous…

It’s going to be a long day. We left the house at 9:00 AM French time, and we arrive in Denver around 6:00 PM mountain time — that will feel like 2:00 AM to our bodies. Our kids are practiced travelers at this point, but you can bet I’m still offering prayers/burnt offerings/my-right-arm that 2-year-old June will be a champ on the flight. Wish us luck!

P.S. — These Journey Journals are adorable! They come with a map, string and fasteners — you can mark the map to reflect your travels.

1 Mags June 28, 2012 at 6:18 am

Yay! So excited for you all. Fingers crossed for a smooth flight… (And thanks to Olive, I will definitely have Neil Diamond stuck in my head all morning. Ha!)

2 the wanna be country girl June 28, 2012 at 6:43 am

I know you’ll have a smooth, uneventful flight and a great trip across America. I wondering, I guess there was’t any time to take in Iceland? Maybe on the way back home. :)
~ Caroline

3 Deborah June 28, 2012 at 6:43 am

Oh my goodness! Wishing you all a safe flight and much patience! I’m still drooling over the pastries at the bakery and getting ready to print out the travel packs for our road trip to the beach. (Thank you!)

4 ris June 28, 2012 at 6:47 am

How exciting! May the travel gods be with you and make everything go smoothly!

5 Sharon @ Discovering Blog June 28, 2012 at 7:00 am

Vaya con Dios! Have a safe trip!

6 Sonya June 28, 2012 at 7:10 am

Safe travels!

7 The New Diplomats Wife June 28, 2012 at 7:22 am

Bon Voyage and welcome stateside! Enjoy your time at home and have safe travels. Actually we’ll look for you in the window of our own plane -as you’re headed back for a visit home to the US, we’re headed for a visit back to our former home in Austria. Mixed emotions and excitement and luggage, right? We’ll see you over the Atlantic.

Also, when we moved back to the US I also made a USA playlist – Olive can check it out if she needs more songs! And as a nod to the French experience, make sure she gets Telephone’s “New York avec Toi”

8 Sherri June 28, 2012 at 7:31 am

Have flown through Reykjavik a few times (my family used to live in Luxembourg). Once, they had a special to attract tourists and we stayed overnight and went to the hot springs, stayed in a beautiful hotel, etc. Anyway – enjoy your trip stateside :).

9 katharine June 28, 2012 at 7:45 am

hope you will bring some rain to Colorado. The forest fires are rampant and scary.

10 Barchbo June 28, 2012 at 7:55 am

Safe travels and godspeed! Have a great adventure and I am sure June will be a star!

11 Cherri Porter June 28, 2012 at 8:04 am

Those post cards are awesome! Pinning and stealing!

Have a great trip.

12 Mary-My Life in Scotland June 28, 2012 at 8:13 am

How exciting!! I’ve not been to Iceland, but I live in Scotland and we’re so close I should probably make the trek over there! I’ve heard it is amazing. I’d love to swim in one of those Blue Lagoon’s. That’d be amazing!

Have a great trip!

13 krista June 28, 2012 at 8:19 am

We had a surprise landing in Iceland… Reykjavik exactly, because a man on our flight went unconscious and the plane had to dump fuel and make an emergency landing! After he got off a light on the pilot’s dash came on, something about air pressure in the tires. So they needed a certified mechanic to okay the take-off… but the AirBus apparently NEVER lands in Iceland normally… so they had to put our entire transatlantic flight up in a hotel for the night… or 5am, when they woke us all up to board the plane again. Needless to say we didn’t really SEE Iceland as the entire time it was dark! But felt adventurous none the less… and my wonderful husband bought me an Icelandic Sweater from the airport as a souvenir! Enjoy :)

14 Genevieve June 28, 2012 at 8:26 am

I hope you have a wonderful trip and happy 4th! Love that journal!

15 BrookeA June 28, 2012 at 8:35 am

We spent our honeymoon in Iceland. It is amazing!!! A bit like Hawaii, but cold. You have waterfalls, geysers, hot springs, volcanoes AND snow. There is also crazy topography like you will see nowhere else. Tons of cultural and political history. The people are super-nice. I highly recommend spending time there if you can.
Safe travels to you all!

16 Brigitte June 28, 2012 at 9:16 am

We flew with Icelandair years ago (Halifax-Reykjavik, Reykjavik-London). It was our first overseas family trip. We loved Icelandair. They served a ham-cheese grilled sandwich for breakfast. Years later, we still make it. We call it “Icelandair sandwich”. :)

17 Marae June 28, 2012 at 9:19 am

The Reykjavik airport is a dream!

18 bdaiss June 28, 2012 at 9:46 am

I’ve always wanted to visit Iceland. I don’t know why…something from 8th grade geography I think. So yea you guys!

Welcome back to the states! And the Rocky Mountains! I hope your trip isn’t too disrupted by all the crazy fires we’re having. And if you need to escape Colorado and grab a taste of iconic America, just hollar – you can come to the Black Hills and I’ll give you a tour of Mount Rushmore. (We’re just 5 hours north!)

19 kaela d. June 28, 2012 at 2:59 pm

bring some rain back here with you! we could use it :D

20 nicole i June 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm

welcome stateside! eat kale, go thru a drive through, watch movies and enjoy your holiday this side of the Atlantic!

21 Linda Olafs June 28, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Hey, I’m from Iceland! Hope you can stop on your way back, it’s worth it ;)
ps: my dad is a captain for Icelandair!

22 Patricia June 28, 2012 at 8:15 pm

lots of luck and safe travels!

23 Annalisa June 28, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Good luck! Smiles…

24 greyson June 29, 2012 at 6:41 am

Welcome Home!

25 Karyl June 29, 2012 at 6:42 am

Wow, how exciting, I love travel! Hang in there! We just went from our temp Caribbean home all the way to Alaska for a cruise (stopped by Denver to visit family) and my 2 year old was a challenge. Wanted to play cars on the aisle of the train, etc. I hope you have much better luck with June. :-)

26 Katie June 29, 2012 at 7:58 am

I’ve also done the stayover Iceland Air jaunts that Sherri mentioned. If you have a long layover, they’ll put you on a tour bus for free and you can see the nearby villages. They may even still be doing it. It was so lovely!

You’ll love the Iceland airport. It’s just beautiful; very scandinavian. The only airport I’ve been in that seemed actually to care about design aesthetics. Enjoy!

27 Rosa @ FlutterFlutter June 29, 2012 at 11:03 am

Bonne chance! :)

28 Judith June 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Safe travels to the entire family!
Hope you’ll get a chance to see some of Iceland on your way back, as it is just amazing. I was there a few years ago and wrote about it this week. I sooo wanna go back!