The Perfect Gift: Road Trip Travel Packs

June 27, 2012

Our upcoming trip to the U.S. involves several long road trips, and chances are, you have some car time ahead of you this summer as well. So I asked Jordan of Polkadot Prints to come up with an awesome gift for a car trip. Don’t miss the free printable she created! Enjoy. And bon voyage! — kisses, Gabrielle

We’ve been doing a fair bit of driving since we moved out to the lake. Visiting family, weekends in the city, even groceries involve quite a bit of driving for us. So, to keep things interesting and little people occupied, I created these snack bags for a recent trip.

Each treat box spaced out the goodies for our journey. For instance, Levi could have a bag of goodies once we “saw a deer”, “had been driving an hour”, “had a nap”, “saw 15 red cars,” etc.

With school out, I thought they might be just what you need for your summer road trips. Cute gifts to give your kids, or to give to favorite friends before their family vacation!

Supplies:

- Downloaded file
- Scissors
- Craft Knife
- Bone folder
- Hole Punch
- Tape & String
- Cellophane bags
- Snacks or activities of your choice. You could try colored pencils or crayons, matchbox cars or other little toys, sweets or pretzels, a deck of go fish cards, etc.

1. Print out the free printable. It has 3 pages and lots of tags! Print as many of the boxes as you’d like. Cut and fold according to the instructions provided.

2. Fill your bags with snacks, activities, small toys & games.
3. Seal with tape, and thread through the hole in the box.
4. Close the box at the bottom. Use tape if needed.
5. Tie tag with string, and attach to the bag.

If you’re running short on time, you can just use the tags on plain clear bags.

There are  a few tags that would be ideal for your older kids too, and one just for you mommy, when things are getting a little rowdy in the back seat!

Wishing you safe & happy travels!

—–

THIS WOULD ALSO BE GREAT FOR:

- A child with a stay at the hospital, or who’s feeling trapped inside on sick day
- For a long flight (see Jordan’s adorable Travel Passenger Gifts here)

1 Sharon @ Discovering blog June 27, 2012 at 8:52 am

How adorable!! So creative, and so rewarding – I can see kids getting a real kick out of these!

2 Cherri Porter June 27, 2012 at 9:54 am

I love the idea of giving the kids a map and a pen or a highlighter to follow the route! This idea could be adapted to various ages and things to look for on the map. You could include stickers and a legend for where to mark places you stop at along the way.

3 Jadah{family sponge} June 27, 2012 at 10:30 am

This is so cute! Love the bright colorful tags. What a clever idea to give the bags after something has happened on the road. I love road trips. It’s on our summer bucket list to take a road trip next week. Not sure where yet. Here’s some of our favorite road trip items we like to have with us on the road: http://familysponge.com/play/travel/must-haves-on-a-road-trip-with-children/

4 Jen June 27, 2012 at 10:56 am

Can you tell us where you got the wood cars pictured?

5 Jordan - Polkadot Prints July 8, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Hi Jen, they are from a wooden car carrier truck made by “Melissa & Doug”. They have some really cute wooden cars & trucks!

6 Jordan - Polkadot Prints July 8, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Just found the direct link Jen – http://www.melissaanddoug.com/car-carrier-wooden-truck
Enjoy browsing they have some great kids toys!

7 Jen July 10, 2012 at 10:18 am

Thank you Jordan; appreciate it!

8 aramenda June 27, 2012 at 11:57 am

so perfect – leaving Friday for a road trip and will have to put this to use. super cute!

9 Christine June 27, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Check out ‘enjoying the small things’ by Kelle Hampton. Her family recently did a road trip from FL to MI, with a 5yo & 2.5yo. Her activities were fantastic. Including magnetic photos of family members on a cookie sheet for story telling!

10 Alysa June 27, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Perfect! We’re leaving on Friday for a 1600 mile trip (ending in So. Utah — so I’ll keep an eye out for you all, Gabrielle!).

11 Shannon { A Mom's Year } June 27, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Such a fantastic idea! I would love to send a box full of these, ready-to-go, to our friends who’ll be road-tripping up to the Cities from Atlanta in a few weeks. I’m sure my friend (mama of three) would so appreciate it. IF I can just get myself organized….

12 tere June 27, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Hahaha!! Love the tags!! Great job, Jordan! Thanks.

13 ach! June 28, 2012 at 3:51 am

Such a great idea! I’m gonna use it for sure! This year we are going to Italy (from Poland) with two young ladies so this will be very useful ;) ach!

14 Tinne From Tantrums and Tomatoes June 28, 2012 at 3:53 am

OMG, I just love this! The timing is perfect since we will be making our very first car vacation with the girls this year. It is a long drive to our vacantion rental in Normandy so these will be perfect to keep them entertained.

15 Nutmegg June 28, 2012 at 10:07 am

So cute! I love Jordan’s style.

And you can pack them all up in a super cute ARTOTE!

16 Tricia Martin June 28, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Such a cute idea and LOVE the printable. Thanks for sharing!

17 NN Schneider June 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm

excellent idea, with excellent timing! we’ve got an 11-hour road trip to a family beach reunion coming up in two weeks and this will be a perfect preparation.

18 melissa newell July 24, 2013 at 9:54 am

Oh My Gosh I love these…we are planning a East Coast road trip for next month and I will surely be using the tags! thanks so much!