The Perfect Gift: Handmade BBQ Sauce Pack for Father’s Day

June 14, 2012

Still looking for something awesome you can make Dad for Father’s Day? Well, Jordan of Polkadot Prints — one of my favorite Australian bloggers — has just the thing. And it includes a free printable. Take a look! — kisses, Gabrielle

So your dad has the shiny BBQ, he has the large over-sized BBQ utensils and now you’re scratching your head as to what to get him for Fathers day. Enough of the scratching, as today I have a practical and fun fathers day gift for you that will take his BBQ’ing to a whole new level.

Create a gourmet BBQ sauce pack perfect for summer picnics and get togethers!

First, whip up a batch of your family’s favourite BBQ marinade or meat rub. For this pack, I used a spicy rub recipe:

Spicy BBQ Rub — recipe via taste.com.au.

2 tablespoons chilli powder
2 tablespoons sea salt flakes
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon smoky paprika
1 tablespoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, adjusting to your individual taste. Pour into a small mason jars.

Next, it’s time to package the jars as a manly gift.

1. Download the free Fathers Day gift tags
2. Print & cut out
3. Hole punch end
4. Thread with leather cord (I found mine at Michaels), and attach around mason jar lids.

You could make a simple, thoughtful gift of one jar. Or make a basket with a BBQ rub, BBQ sauce and a sauce brush too.

Happy Fathers day, to all the amazing dads of the world, and….Happy BBQ’ing!

———

THIS IDEA WOULD ALSO BE GREAT FOR:
- A hostess gift at an outdoor party
- A housewarming gift
- Party favors at a BBQ

1 Julie burud June 14, 2012 at 5:15 am

This is a beautiful idea! I love it because it gets the kids involved in the kitchen, AND with 4 kids – consumable gifts and experiences are tops of “pops” in my book! Thanks for the excellent idea!

2 Natalie June 14, 2012 at 5:36 am

Yum! So going to try this! Perfect gift for all dads and husbands. Thanks!

3 Caitlin June 14, 2012 at 7:32 am

I love this idea! I’m a big fan of making food from scratch – I think this is great. Just the right mix of something he’ll use and something that shows you care. Perfect!

4 Shannon { A Mom's Year } June 14, 2012 at 11:01 am

Brilliant! I just realized I forgot about all the uncles on Sunday, but these are the Ultimate Uncle Gifts. Great host/hostess gifts, too. Thank you!

5 kelleyn June 14, 2012 at 3:18 pm

This is a perfect gift. What man doesn’t love BBQ!

6 how2home June 15, 2012 at 11:23 am

THIS is a perfect fathers day gift! How long did it take to make the bbq rub does it need to be stored overnight before use?

7 Cheryl Burchett June 15, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I love the BBQ sauce idea! Last year we took pictures with a Fathers Day message while on vacation at the beach the week before. I only had to print and frame them or make a card and I had a lovely last minute gift!
Here is a blog post with suggestions for getting a good beach message photo.

8 Doné June 18, 2012 at 6:14 pm

what a great gift for a host as well. Love it!!!!!!!!

9 bettijo @ PagingSupermom.com June 19, 2012 at 9:32 am

LOVE the BBQ sauce pack — I must admit the brush is my favorite part.

10 Jackson Clarke November 8, 2012 at 9:14 am

How fantastic! My Dad has a weber bbq (which if anyone is aware can be a monstrous and dazzling grill) and loves playing chef for the whole family. I think this will be a fantastic gift, especially with Christmas around the corner!

11 Andréane Lacroix November 26, 2014 at 9:01 am

I would like to know how you made the sauce….the rub is perfect…but I would like to make the sauce also, so what do you add to make it…thank you….