Limited Edition Art

June 14, 2012

This post is brought to you by 20×200. I first posted about 20×200 in October of 2007 — that’s a long time ago! — and I’ve been a fan ever since. I’m so glad we finally have this chance to work together.

—–

Since I’m a designer, Ben Blair generally lets me have final say on the artwork we hang on the walls, but he likes to weigh in on the meta thinking. He says, “If our children, or even visitors, look at the art on our walls (or the books on our shelves) I want it to be really clear what sort of things we value.”

I am in full agreement! And when we’re not living in La Cressonnière, I work hard to keep that sentiment in mind as I decorate our home and pick out art for our walls. So when I shop the 20×200 collection, this is what appeals:

Pretty Maps – Istanbul by Aaron Straup Cope
Because we love learning about the world.

25 Scooter Drawings by Christine Berrie
Because one of the family legends is a story about my father driving a scooter to college — all the way from San Francisco to Provo, Utah — with a bowling ball between his feet.

Old Phone by Todd McLellan

Waiting by Ian Baguskas
Because at one point or another, we all have to learn to wait patiently.

In the Library by Tatsuro Kiuchi
Because we love to read.

And at top, Apres Grande 12 by Christian Chaize
Because it’s good to get outside!

If you’re thinking about starting a collection of original art, 20×200 is a smart, affordable place to begin. They offer new prints every week in 3 sizes, and 3 price ranges. All of the art, prints and photographs are carefully produced, and each one is accompanied by an artist-signed and numbered certificate that ensures the one you own is part of an exclusive edition. Once they’re sold out, they’re gone for good — so if you see something you like, snap it up.

Happy news! Their semi-annual sale starts today. You can get 20% off sitewide — it’s so ridiculous, it’s ridonk! Find sale details and discount code here. Shop now, because this sale only happens twice a year!

Tell me, friends, how do you pick out art for your walls? Do you wait for something to speak to you? Create your own artwork? Or maybe hang whatever you found at last weekend’s neighborhood yard sale?

1 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag June 14, 2012 at 10:48 am

I adore this so much Gabrielle — what a thoughtful and clever idea your husband has, the notion that one’s art should reflect what you value….I love that!

2 Design Mom June 14, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Ben Blair is a smart one!

3 Azra June 14, 2012 at 11:30 am

Gabrielle, I love how each piece of art represents something… I love this associations…
“Because it’s important to remember that everything (and everyone) is more than the sum of its parts.” so clever.

I never think of these sort of things.. it’s usually what appeals to my eye… maybe I will start to think a bit more when choosing an art for my wall.. haha… great!
You inspire and surprise me every time!

4 Design Mom June 14, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I hear you, Azra! I would say that I don’t even consider the meaning of a painting or another work of art if it doesn’t appeal to visually first.

5 sarah June 14, 2012 at 11:39 am

we pick art that is timeless…..and art that we will want to live with for the rest of our lives. some of it is very significant–places we’ve lived or visited, and others just speak to our hearts with what we like to do and be around. we are currently collecting original small oil paintings of nature on etsy for our gallery wall.

6 Design Mom June 14, 2012 at 1:23 pm

What a great idea for a collection, Sarah!

7 Martha June 14, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I love Ben Blairs thought on that. I often think about the things in my house and they truly are a reflection of my family (mess and all) and I love it!

8 Design Mom June 15, 2012 at 4:07 am

And the art we hang has such an influence on our kids!

9 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux June 14, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I concur with the others – Art and art work is great when it reflects what the owner values. When we hang work in our house – it’s either photography of special places or taken by loved ones – or art work that has spoken to us and/or found from a certain trip…..Everything has a story! Thanks for the post !

10 Design Mom June 15, 2012 at 4:06 am

“Everything has a story!”

I love that, Jennifer!

11 Susan June 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I wanted to add that I bought my first piece from 20×200 a couple of months ago (one of Todd McLellan’s clever pieces!) and the quality of the print blew me away. It’s really top notch and I’m excited about framing it and hanging it in my son’s room (he’s the one who admired it).

12 Design Mom June 15, 2012 at 4:07 am

A Todd McLellan piece? Lucky duck!

13 Gabriele June 15, 2012 at 7:42 am

We suggested something that worked out fabulously for both the artist and our family. After purchasing a wonderful piece from a local artist, we went back to her studio over and over again. One day we asked her what she thought of letting us rent a new painting every month for a small fee. We left her our purchased painting as collateral and picked up the “painting of the month” on the 1st. She had a gallery showing at our home, as I teach piano, and we lived with her beautiful work throughout the year.