Olive Us: Episode 5: How to Visit a French Bakery

June 27, 2012

Hooray! Here’s episode 5 of Olive Us. In this one, viewers will get a little cultural lesson — and maybe even learn a few French words — while Olive, Betty and Ralph demonstrate how to properly visit a French Bakery. A tiny warning: you may want to watch on a full stomach. : )

Bon appetit!

—–

Sources:
Shopping basket from Kayce Hughes.
Betty’s blouse, dress, and cardigan from Olive Juice Kids.
Olive’s skirt and sweater from Olive Juice Kids.
Ralph’s outfit from his closet. (Yes. He totally wears scarves.)

1 Valerie {all mussed up} June 27, 2012 at 9:03 am

This is one of my favorite episodes so far! Ooh la la, la France me manque!

The year I spent there was happily populated with many tartelettes au citron, and I’m afraid I have yet to find a patisserie in the Netherlands now that replicates the unctuousness of the originals. Thank you for this delectable visual treat, at least. (:

2 Kathryn h June 27, 2012 at 9:10 am

Oh Mon Dieu! I miss French pastries. Nothing compares. Thank you for this visual treat.

3 Rebecca June 27, 2012 at 9:36 am

This is great. You guys are so awesome and creative. Keep up the good work!

4 kathy June 27, 2012 at 9:51 am

I absolutely love Olive Us, and this episode might be my favorite. My kayce hughes straw bag keeps showing up and that makes me smile! Your children are precious. The music is delightful, too. Best wishes to you all.

5 Eve-Lise June 27, 2012 at 10:11 am

Great video ! I really enjoy Olive us ! My favorite episode so far is the first !

But, I noticed some mistakes in the spelling :
- “chouquettes” not “choquettes”
- “tartelette au citron” not “tartelette à citron” (“au” is the contraction of “à le” !)

Ok I’m a grammar freak !!!

6 Design Mom June 27, 2012 at 10:24 am

Oh no! We had one of our local French friends type up the correct spellings for us, but I forgot to check the video against her list! How embarrassing. She, of course, had fixed all the mistakes you mention.

I’ll have the video team update the words asap.

Thanks, Eve-Lise!

7 Stefanie June 27, 2012 at 10:27 am

Sorry, one more, tartelette à frambroise should be “aux frambroises”. The video is adorable!

8 Stefanie June 27, 2012 at 10:28 am

would help if I spelled “framboise” correctly too! sorry

9 Eve-Lise June 28, 2012 at 1:08 am

I saw the modifications !

One last…. “tartelette au citron” not “aux citrons”.

This is a tricky one. We say “aux framboises” because we use many raspberries to make one tartelette. But, with lemon, it’s the juice wich is used to make the tartelette. So, it is uncountable.

Otherwise, the video is really really appealing !

10 Laetitia June 27, 2012 at 10:13 am

So cute, my favorite episode so far.:)) Love the music and your kids are brillant !!
Just a tiny correction of french language :
Tartelette à citron => tartelette citron or au citron
Tartelette à framboise => tartelette framboise or à la framboise
Choquette => chouquette

;-)

11 Design Mom June 27, 2012 at 10:24 am

Yes! You’re right. You can see my response to Eve-Lise above. We will correct right away.

Sigh.

: )

12 Laetitia June 27, 2012 at 11:13 am

I’ve read your response. Don’t worry…some french people do the same mistake…
My English could be improved too ;-) I learn everyday reading your blog !!

13 Elizabeth June 27, 2012 at 10:14 am

I love it — every bit!

14 Erin June 27, 2012 at 10:15 am

This was so beautifully shot and very cute. Now I very much would like to teleport to France…

15 Camille June 27, 2012 at 10:21 am

My favorite so far! It’s a shame we don’t get to hear the kids in the boulangerie. Betty had the sweetest French accent in the “Petit Chaperon Rouge” video!

16 The New Diplomats Wife June 27, 2012 at 10:41 am

love this one -i think it’s my favorite so far. especially love how you captured putting the money on the actual tray, I think it’s a european thing but rarely does money change hands directly like it would for us in the US. Place money on tray, sales person picks up, puts any change on tray and then you pick up. Kind of a funny thing. If you hand over money, they will take it but begrudgingly.

17 Cynthia June 27, 2012 at 10:58 am

Our daughter is in French school here in New Orleans, and her pre-K 4 class visited the French bakery down the street in May as a lesson in how to greet someone properly, order, and pay in French. I can’t wait to show her this video!

18 Karina Hotard June 27, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Hi Cynthia,

What French Bakery are you talking about? La Boulangerie?

19 Cynthia June 28, 2012 at 10:46 am

20 Carrie June 27, 2012 at 11:11 am

Our family loves the Olive Us videos. My children who are 3 and 5 request to watch them over and over. They are helping me to convince my husband that we should move our family to France! Thank you for being such a wonderful example of happy families.

21 Rachel June 27, 2012 at 11:12 am

Watched this while eating carrots & hummus for lunch. How sad! Now I want a sweet treat. Loved this episode. :)

22 Angel June 27, 2012 at 11:14 am

So cute! But I was waiting for them to eat their treats at home!

23 Geralyn Murray June 27, 2012 at 11:21 am

LOVE this. Thanks for the treat.

24 Linsey Laidlaw June 27, 2012 at 11:27 am

Oui s’il vous plait! My favorite so far. Your kids are adorable.

25 Amy June 27, 2012 at 11:58 am

I want that citron tartlette. that looked like a french version of a key lime pie. yum!

26 Karina Hotard June 27, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Okay, now I’m officially homesick……J’aimerai une religieuse et un croissant s’il vous plait…merci…au revoir

27 Karina Hotard June 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm

et un eclair au cafe

28 Karina Hotard June 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm

et une brioche…LOL…I could go on and on

29 Patricia June 27, 2012 at 1:05 pm

this is so adorable, one of my favorites too. The music, the settings, everything was a treat!

30 Jennifer Jordan Burns June 27, 2012 at 1:18 pm

This is my favorite episode so far! Completely captures the pleasures of walking into a French bakery . . .the anticipation, bonjour exchange, beautiful pastries, euro coins, the lovely detail of wrapping the pastries and the pretty walk with market bag, past the garden. Perfect. Brings back happy memories. Can’t wait to show my children later today. Bravo!

31 Andrea June 27, 2012 at 1:36 pm

So darling!

32 yours truly June 27, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I love watching these with my daughter! She’s 5, and to this one she replied, “these are such cute little creative kids!”. It’s great that Olive Us is inspiring me and my little one too.

33 Rosa @ FlutterFlutter June 27, 2012 at 2:00 pm

My kids have been begging for the next one! I’m saving this so we can all watch it for the first time together when my oldest gets home from school today. LOVE THESE!! :) Keep ‘em coming!

34 Caryn June 27, 2012 at 2:09 pm

So fun! Pain au chocolats are my favorite! Love the video title lettering! Do you know what typeface was used?

35 mom in mendon June 27, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Another HIT! xoxo0

36 Rochelle June 27, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I am a French teacher at a private elementary school in Indianapolis… I can’t wait to show this to my students during our “town” lesson! Merci!

37 Margoulette June 27, 2012 at 8:15 pm

This is torture !!!

38 MJ @ parscaeli June 27, 2012 at 8:23 pm

So sophisticated and yummy!! And the ease with which the bakery worker was able to wrap the goodies…I had to rewind and watch that wonder happen a few times!! Nice work. XO, MJ

39 Alix June 27, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Oh these just get more charming as you go along!! How is sweet Olive feeling about her namesake project? I so wish I could tag along one day….. thanks for the inspiration!

40 kate June 27, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Best yet!
reminded me of living in Belgium – if you go again, do try and get the rice tart, they are dreamy!

41 Winona June 27, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Beautifully done.

42 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux June 28, 2012 at 1:03 am

Beautifully done! I love all the names of the desserts. Just something also that I learned since living in Bordeaux – Pain au Chocolat is the Northern Term – here in Bordeaux (and perhaps elsewhere in the South of France) they are referred to as Chocolatines. So funny when you enter a bakery here and ask for pain au chocolat and they look at you funny and say – Do you mean Chocolatine?…

43 Rosie June 28, 2012 at 3:52 am

This was like a wonderful refresher course in the French skills that have been disappearing slowly for the past few years! Delicious treats and delightful children.

44 Meg June 28, 2012 at 4:56 am

This is, by far, is our favorite! I say “our” because my 6 year old daughter is DYING to go to Paris and we love watching your adventures. You inspired us to head to our local bakery for a treat this morning! Safe travels on your trip…

45 Kelly June 28, 2012 at 8:16 am

Love this one! I have to ask, were do you get Ralph’s scarves? I’ve been looking for one for my little guy and I cannot find one I like!

46 Erin June 28, 2012 at 8:21 am

That was so, so cute. I love French bakeries. The only thing I missed seeing was a mille-feuille. Every time (all of twice) I have taken a bite into one, I think I’ve died and gone to heaven. Mmmm.

47 Caitlin June 28, 2012 at 9:21 am

Oh dear – this video tugs at my heartstrings! We used to get a pain au chocolat on the way home from school everyday, or a tarte aux framboises! Heavenly! And don’t even get me started on the baguettes – bread will forever be changed for you after this, I’m sure of it.

48 Shannon { A Mom's Year } June 28, 2012 at 9:53 am

This is perfect timing because we’re in the middle of France Week! Just watched the video with the kids, who loved it, of course. I asked them to see if they could find differences (they noticed the telephone numbers, the time on the parking sign, the way the money was placed on the tray) and similarities (bringing your own bag and how some of the words were familiar: sandwichs, chocolat, tart, citron).

We’re very curious about why one of the desserts is called a religieuse. Lexie’s guess is that if you eat it you’ll think you died and went to Heaven. Is she right?

(Please tell your children “thank you” for the lesson today. And because we’re trying not to be too stereotypical as we “journey” around the world, do kids in France really play croquet?)

49 Tiffany June 28, 2012 at 11:04 am

What an awful thing to do to me! Now I want a REAL pastry! Not this AMERICAN stuff………………….Oh- someone take me back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50 the emily June 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm

When I was in Normandy last spring we stopped at a bakery for lunch and it was our first experience with a French person that didn’t speak a word of English. We still got our baguettes but it took a little bit of hand gestures and smiles. It was one of my favorite experiences of the entire trip!

51 Sarah June 29, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I love how there is a specific name for all the pastries! When I lived in Spain I was amazed how everything had a name. Like in the States we would just say “the lemon one” or just point, you know?

52 Carey July 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Oh, my! I watched this on a full stomach and I am STILL made hungry.

53 Hannah {Bonne Nouvelle} July 6, 2012 at 2:33 pm

These are so delightful! I love this last one the most. I also love how your children look like a perfect combination of you and Ben.

54 Cheryl July 8, 2012 at 3:41 am

I just found your website and I’m in love. If I had to pick another place to live other than the US, it would be France. And the timing is so perfect to find your post with that silly little bicycle race going on now. LOL

55 Tina Ramchandani July 8, 2012 at 8:28 am

This is adorable. I just watched the whole series. Very clever.

56 Katie Gnau July 16, 2012 at 7:14 pm

My favorite episode so far! I ate waayy to many pain au chocolate while I studied in paris years ago… I’ve found some good ones here in the states, but none like the ones in France!