Living Well: 4 Secrets to the Ideal Art Supply Cupboard

June 20, 2012

This post is brought to you by Method. Glitter, glue and paint all you like, then get clean with Method hand soap.

——–

Hello, Friends! Lindsey of Café Johnsonia here with the second installment of Secrets to Living Well. Before school ended, I started making plans to stock my art supply cupboard, to keep my very active children busy this summer. About that time, Gabrielle sent me an email from a reader that said: Hi Design Mom, I would LOVE it if you would consider doing a post about art supplies. I always wonder what staples I should keep on hand.

If you’ve never set up an art supply cupboard before, it can be intimidating. Craft stores and art supply stores are huge! How do you know where to start? I thought this topic would make a perfect Secrets to Living Well post, because a well-stocked art supply makes it a thousand times easier to get creative with your kids.

So I got on the phone with Design Mom — she’s been raising creative kids for 14 years —  and we came up with a list of 15 Art Supply Essentials + 4 Helpful Secrets. Keep your cupboard stocked with our suggestions, and you’ll be ready for pretty much any idea your budding artists come up with.

These 15 items represent a beginners kit, geared toward younger kids, but I’ve included suggestions for upgrading the kit for older kids too.

1) Crayons.
You can go with classic Crayolas, gorgeous beeswax crayons, or choose an option like triangle crayons that are especially made for little hands to hold. Secret #1: Stock up during back-to-school season. Buying this all at once can add up! But if you shop sales in August and September, you’ll spot amazing bargains. Like a box of crayons for 25 cents!

Older kid upgrade: Cray-pas. They’re like an inexpensive oil pastel. They blend well and make really intense colors.

2) Colored Pencils.
Sometimes, crayons just can’t make the kind of details your little artist is imagining. That’s when colored pencils save the day. Colored pencils are so pretty, I like to keep several styles in a jar on my desk. The two styles pictured are here and here.

3) Markers.
The ones pictured are beautiful! But I recommend choosing washable markers for beginning artists.

Older kid upgrade: Sharpies. They’re permanent, so be careful, but they open up lots of new options for projects — like Sharpie tie-dye.

4) Coloring books
There are so many options out there! Sticker books. Character books from their favorite movie. I personally favor these Japanese doodle books, and Hervé Tullet’s scribble books.

Older kid upgrade: Give them their very own sketchbook.

5) Big Roll of paper.
Secret #2: Big paper = big ideas. Look for over-sized sheets or a wide roll. Remember Oscar’s horses? They have big impact because the paper was big.

6) Watercolor paints.
Watercoloring is interactive — dipping in water, wiping excess color off your brush, mixing colors. Some kids really love it! Note: always watercolor on the heaviest paper you have on hand.

Older kid upgrade: If you can see your kids enjoy painting, you could invest in a better quality paint set which will help them really learn to mix colors.

7) Construction Paper
The big sheets of solid colors spark ideas, and the paper is easy to cut.

Older kid upgrade: try patterned origami paper.

8) Scissors
Go with a safe pair. Secret #3: Stock extra scissors. Scissors are one of those items that get taken away from the art space to cut a loose string or a flower or whatnot. It can be super frustrating to reach for a pair of scissors and find it gone, so I recommend stocking multiple pairs.

9) Play Dough
Make your own at home. Or buy a naturally made version.

Older kid upgrade: Try bakeable Sculpey. You can use it to make all sorts of things. Even beads.

10) Craft Sticks
You never know what kids will come up with when they have a pile of crafts sticks in front of them.

11) Pipe Cleaners
They’re fun to fiddle with and come in handy at unexpected times — like connecting things when glue won’t work.

Older kid upgrade: If your kids love bending and shaping pipe cleaners and working with their hands, you could introduce embroidery floss and projects like friendship bracelets.

12) Googly Eyes
You will be shocked how often your kids will find uses for these. Secret #4: Googly eyes are irresistible. They make pretty much any art project a success. Use them to tempt your kids to the art table.

13) Glitter
Like googly eyes, glitter makes any project seem special.

14) Glue Sticks
Especially helpful for mess averse moms. I like using the purple kind with little kids, so they can see where they’ve applied glue.

15) Liquid glue.
When a glue stick isn’t cutting it, this is your go to. A liquid glue is also helpful when you want to dilute it.

Older kid upgrade: Mod Podge. Use it for all sorts of projects, like this decoupaged sketchbook.

There you have it! 15 essentials for your art supply stash, plus 4 helpful secrets. What do you think? Anything you’d add to the list? Other “upgrades” you’d recommend? I’d love to hear.

P.S. — If you’re in the mood for even more color, watch Method’s latest video, High Five a Rainbow. It’s so funny! And if you guess how many handsoaps they use in the rainbow, you can win great prizes! Find out the details on Facebook.

1 Sandra June 20, 2012 at 5:54 am

I must be getting old – craft sticks were “popsicle sticks” back in the day…sniff…

Great list! Perfectly in time for summer when it’s too hot or too rainy to go outside.

I’d add scraps of different kinds of fabric (colours, textures, etc) for making collages. And old magazines too for the same.

2 Design Mom June 20, 2012 at 5:58 am

Hah! I don’t think you’re getting old, Sandra. I think of them as popsicle sticks too. : )

Love the idea of including old magazines and fabric scraps!

3 r8chel June 20, 2012 at 7:36 am

I call them popsicle sticks too. And I can’t quite get used to calling pipe cleaners “fuzzy sticks.” :)

4 Trish June 21, 2012 at 6:27 am

Too funny. I didn’t even know what a “craft stick” was until I saw your reply. Duh…a Popsicle stick. Now it is all coming together. Can you tell I am not very crafty.

5 raleigh-elizabeth June 20, 2012 at 6:27 am

this is perfect – even for grownups!

6 Stacy June 20, 2012 at 6:46 am

I needed this — rainy afternoon yesterday and I noticed our craft supplies were getting low. Thank you!

7 Design Mom June 20, 2012 at 9:13 am

Yay! So glad for the happy timing.

8 SEC June 20, 2012 at 7:23 am

What I need is a post to tell me how to keep all those supplies organized. Our craft supplies are in danger of taking over the entire kitchen!

9 Carla June 20, 2012 at 8:32 am

I second that comment. How about a post on how to organize all the supplies. I keep buying small organizers but they are taking over the house! I think I need one dedicated place that is properly organized.

10 Design Mom June 20, 2012 at 9:14 am

Great idea for a post!

11 Maeve June 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm

For our craft supplies I made a peg board with a frame that I hang in the kitchen (renovation on kitchen means it is currently not up so I can’t take photo, sorry). I fill plastic freezer bags (ziploc) with our supplies and then put these clips (http://www.bassile.com/product.php?product=552) on them and hang them to the peg board hooks. My son can see everything and decide on what he needs but it is up out of the way and stays fairly neat most of the time :)

12 Maeve June 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm

oh and I rotate stuff periodically as well.

13 Jen Daily June 22, 2012 at 12:33 am

Plus some ideas for dealing with the 20+ pieces of “art” that my kids produce every day. Pretty please?

14 This girl loves to talk June 20, 2012 at 9:24 pm

my new favourite of craft/art organization… everything in a shoe holder! Havent done it yet, but looks good, and hang it behind a door/in a cupboard???

15 r8chel June 20, 2012 at 7:34 am

Don’t forget tape! Glue often requires a level of thoughtfulness and patience that kids don’t have.

Also, we save all kinds of recyclables for our kids to create with — toilet paper tubes, egg cartons, juice cartons, cereal boxes, etc. It’s amazing what they come up with!

16 Janae @ Bring Joy June 20, 2012 at 7:48 am

Tape! Yes, I kinda want to forget about including tape because my kids are addicted to the stuff. But it IS an important part of the process, as you point out.

& the toilet paper tubes, juice cartons, & cereal boxes–good stuff too!

17 Kate June 20, 2012 at 8:31 am

When my daughter was little, her great uncle asked what little thing he could include with her birthday check and I told him several rolls of tape. He thought I was crazy but she LOVED being able to use all the tape her little heart desired! :)

18 Design Mom June 20, 2012 at 9:15 am

So true on the tape! My toddler have always loved gifts of tape and bandaids. : )

19 Jadah{family sponge} June 23, 2012 at 7:42 am

We have a art recycle box in addition to our regular recycle box. It’s a perfect way for your kids to choose what recyclables they want to keep for future art projects. And kids love berry boxes for pretend play.

I just adore this post. Amazing photos!

20 Janae @ Bring Joy June 20, 2012 at 7:46 am

Funny, because I’m about to blog on this same exact topic! We don’t have an art supply closet–just a long table with lots of jars filled with markers, crayons, straws, string, coffee filters, paper plates, construction paper, pencils, paint, scissors & glue. I cover the table with butcher paper so my kids can draw on the table. So important that kids have resources to be creative.

After seeing this, I should add: googly eyes (why didn’t I think of this), pipe cleaners, & old magazines. Oh, and popsicle sticks.

21 Sharon @ Discovering Blog June 20, 2012 at 7:53 am

God, I’m such a sucker for this stuff!

It’s interesting to watch my kids evolve with projects. My 6 yo son, who has become a great reader, just wants to staple white paper together to make books. Then he sits down with markers and draws pictures and writes the story. It amazes me. For him, I need oodles of paper and markers. And a stapler.

My 4 yo daughter loves to take a picture that is already created, and color it. She doesn’t just pick one color, but makes each and every thing multicolored, and it is beautiful. So for her, I need pre-printed pictures and markers and crayons (which she pronounces as “karens”).

22 Design Mom June 20, 2012 at 9:16 am

Love that! I remember Betty totally going through a stapler phase.

23 se7en June 20, 2012 at 8:04 am

Oh good grief I can’t resist stunning lists like this, packed full of lovely crisp new supplies. I cleaned out our crafty goodies this past summer and did a post on all the materials we use… FUN!!! : http://www.se7en.org.za/2012/02/29/se7en-s-essential-crafting-materials-a-list-of-lists

24 Mom in Mendon June 20, 2012 at 8:36 am

Big Rolls of Paper Tip: Maybe it’s common knowledge but if you live near a printer, ask them for “roll-ends.” They’re inexpensive, if not free. : )

25 Design Mom June 20, 2012 at 9:18 am

I remember you coming home with 5 or 6 roll ends from a stop at the printers. I loved the abundance of it. Like we would never ever run out of paper again.

26 Giulia June 20, 2012 at 8:48 am

I love this list and have to second the tape! I’m always running out of it because they love to stick it all over the house.
My kids also love the craft scissors that cut patterned edges, they come in nice kits with interchangeable ‘blades’.
And I always have a big pad of patterned paper and letters handy as they love to make their own cards. You can get the big books of patterned paper on sale often for up to 50% off as they can be quite pricey. But those square 12×12 sheets are also perfect sized to make six bunting flag pieces.
Which leads me to a last favourite which is ribbon!

27 Design Mom June 20, 2012 at 9:19 am

Thumbs up on the ribbon!

28 Jennifer Jordan Burns June 20, 2012 at 8:52 am

I just organized our art cupboards last week! Must add these wonderful art supplies we couldn’t live without:

*d’jeco markers (oh, these are so nice. Vibrant, beautiful colors. Two sides for
each marker: fine point and soft like a paintbrush)
*Stockmar beeswax crayons
*Staedtler watercolor crayons
*Watercolor pencils (eeboo makes pretty tins of pencils)
*watercolor postcards
*Paintbrushes that fill with water
*paint pens to paint rocks, etc.
*embroidery floss to make friendship bracelets
*Rosie Flo’s coloring books, by Chronicle Books

I love to use our bonne maman jam jars to hold scissors, googly eyes, alphabet beads, alphabet stampers, pompoms, homeade crayons, etc…

29 Helen June 20, 2012 at 9:37 am

Great list and beautiful pictures. Our biggest problem is keeping the craft cupboard well organized.

30 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux June 20, 2012 at 9:50 am

Great list – will be flagging it to stock for summer fun ! Thanks for the great ideas! My kids draw all the time – so this craft cupboard list is awesome for stocking up on their favorite things!

31 Visit our website June 20, 2012 at 10:35 am

This is great!!! I’ve been trying to organize the art section of my preschool and this has inspired me! Thanks!!!

32 Amanda June 20, 2012 at 10:52 am

Awesome list, now how do you organize it so it doesn’t drive you crazy?

33 This girl loves to talk June 20, 2012 at 9:26 pm

34 Mara {A Blog About Love} June 20, 2012 at 11:53 am

I need all of this stuff! Thanks for the post. My craft supplies consist of reems of copy paper, black sharpies and paper clips. haha. (missed your blog while I was away for two weeks. It was fun catching up when I returned.)

35 Kat June 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm

This is so helpful! Now please do a post on ideas how to store all this stuff ! I am at a loss on how to store it all do it’s neat but accessible (and inviting) for my 3 yr old twins. Right now I have everything shoved into clear boxes on top of a bookshelf–which is neither neat nor accessible. Art supply storage tips please!

36 Lindsay - Ella Lou June 20, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Thanks for this awesome list. My daughter recently turned two and I have been trying to provide her with a variety of art supplies (many of the ones you list above) and she just doesn’t seem interested. I have tried finger paints which got a bit more interest (as in two minutes as opposed to 30 seconds) but she simply doesn’t seem to love art projects.

I am hoping she will become more interested as she starts preschool in the fall. In the interim, do you have any fun art project suggestions for the tot set?

37 Shannon { A Mom's Year } June 20, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Brilliant list! So many great ideas that I don’t have anything to add. Well, the only thing would be that if it’s at all possible, it’s great to have a dedicated spot for kids to create. We have a little wooden table and art supply bookcase at one end of the dining room.

Sure, it’s taking up valuable real estate and I have visions of a comfy sofa there some day, but in the 10 years or so that the kids have had their own “art area,” it’s been used nearly every single day. I think having the art supplies in full view and easily accessible helps.

I’m enjoying this new series! Looking forward to what’s next. :-)

38 Jennifer June 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm

So I happened upon a super cool solution for storage of art supplies and thought I would share (it’s too good to keep to myself). I found a cabinet that looks like an old library card catalog cabinet (you know, with all the drawers), but it’s actually meant for CD and DVD storage, I think. Lots and lots and lots of drawers. They have little paper labels on the front, so you can label each one. Perfect for art supplies. And so much fun to peek into each one to find new surprises! The drawers are big enough to hold nearly every art supply out there, except paper, which we keep in a file-folder sorter up on top.

39 sarah ahearn bellemare June 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm

i’m an artist, and my 2 year old and i work side-by-side in my studio after nap. she is constantly asking to “do her work” at her own little blue table and i’m directed to sit at mine.
my list of supplies for her- roll of paper/dispenser that came from a restaurant supply store, markers and crayons in bon maman jars, sheets of random stickers (florescent dots from the office supply store are a hit) are held berry cartons alongside little sheets of colored paper. all is stored on an ikea tray that we can pull out easily when needed.
these days, her favorite activity is using alphabet rubber stamps with her “big ink”. the stamps are all shapes and sizes, numbers and letters and they live in a big glass screw top jar. the “big ink” pad (melissa and doug brand) has 6 colors and is perfect for her little fingers. she’s learning her letters and numbers as she “works”. :) i have some photos of her little table here: http://sarahearn.blogspot.com/2012/05/adas-spaces.html
my summer goal is to get it all together in an old cabinet so i can close the doors and store more as she gets older. great topic!

40 Karyl June 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Thanks! This is a wonderful list! Reminds me I have to open up new markers, our old ones are all dried up and we want to craft tomorrow! :-)

41 Shawna Greenway June 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Perfect timing! Both kids don’t have anything planned for next week so I’m placing my Amazon order this afternoon. It’s really difficult having projects that both my 11 year old and my 4 year old will have fun doing but I think with this fantastic list of supplies, there should be less fighting at our house next week. Fingers crossed, anyway!

42 Melissa June 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Great list!

We had great fun with a Mod Podge project this spring, but I still have it stuck to my wooded kitchen table and soapstone counters. Any ideas on how to get this off?

43 Megan Schiller July 23, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Melissa,
While I’m not sure how to get Mod Podge off of your table and counters, at least they have now come out with a “Kids” Mod Podge that is washable. Might be a good idea for next time! Here is a link if you’re interested to the washable Mod Podge in my shop:

44 Caitlin June 20, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I love this post! I especially love the big paper brings big ideas bit – I remember once in 7th grade my teacher assigned us to have a friend trace our body onto giant paper and we filled it with colors and materials that represented us. So fun and so memorable – all because it was so big! I guess size really does matter. ;)

45 gail June 21, 2012 at 6:31 am

What’s missing are all the natural elements that can be picked up for free….branches, sticks, pebbles, pine cones, large seeds, bark….Otherwise, everything is so bright, sometimes too bright….

46 Amy June 21, 2012 at 9:33 am

Love these ideas! I was surprised (and happy) to realize that I already own most of them, but I definitely think I need to make them more accessible to my kids. I would love to see how you have all of your supplies organized.

47 Jennifer Rodgers June 21, 2012 at 8:38 pm

This is a wonderful list! As a high school art teacher, I think the big kid upgrades are spot-on. Also, you’d be surprised how many high school art students still love a little glitter! :-)

48 Caddy June 22, 2012 at 9:37 am

I love this post. It made me want to go out and buy canvas and paint a bright happy picture.

I thought call craft sticks popsicle sticks too!

49 Linnea June 22, 2012 at 8:22 pm

A “big kid” upgrade: liquid watercolors (they come in tubes) and real watercolor paper – preferably cotton. The thicker, dimpled paper is so much better at taking water! Try stapling the paper to a piece of thin plywood or cardboard to keep it from wrinkling as it dries. Also, try sprinkling some sea salt on the wet paint – makes a neat effect!

50 Jennifer Nichols June 23, 2012 at 11:30 am

Yes! I agree with the folks that would like some tips on organization. I’ve really been wanting to create an art station for our daughters, but haven’t really decided how to go about setting it up. Thanks!!

51 Sim October 16, 2012 at 2:30 am

I make sure my daughter has a plastic serving tray to do her messy creations on. You can glue, glitter and paint all over the place then simply wipe the tray clean and start again.

52 Brandy @The Prudent Homemaker April 16, 2013 at 8:51 am

For my my “middle” aged children, I use card stock instead of water color paper, because it is less expensive.

I also would add more paintbrushes in different sizes, including a fan brush.

For younger children, I use washable watercolors. They are almost the same price as the individual set, and they come with 3 rows of watercolors in more shades.

Rather than play-doh, I use modeling clay for children. It doesn’t dry out and it doesn’t crumble. It comes in tons of colors and I can get a package for around $5.

53 melissa sweet April 17, 2013 at 5:20 am

This post makes me want a fresh box of crayons! I wanted to share a book I made for eeBoo Toys that teaches kids to draw: http://www.toysaretools.com/2012/04/eeboos-drawing-book-with-melissa-sweet.html.
It’s the kind of book I had as a kid, along with many of the supplies you posted.
Thanks for the inspiration.

54 Angel Kho April 17, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Those are definitely great items to have in art supply cupboard. What I have trouble most of the time is figuring out a creative way to use those art supplies. I found that keeping a collection of art and craft ideas with lots of pictures in a binder helps tremendously. The kids can flip through what they want to do and use them as a guide.

55 Walewska May 12, 2013 at 1:05 am

I simply HATE glitter. My daughters love it but… I can’t stand with it. I have most of the things… I have to buy pipe cleaners anyway!

56 Megan Schiller July 23, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Great post! This is what I do for a living… encourage parents to create a dedicated art space for their children with quality essential supplies. One of the biggest challenges people face is organizing the space and keeping it organized. Sorry for the self promotion here, but in case this helps anyone, I have some links for you. I’m working on a series of blog posts about organizing kids art spaces- so far I have posted two:
And if you’d like to see a lot of inspiration, here is my Pinterest board of kids art spaces:

57 Karen Smullen October 7, 2013 at 7:01 am

I’ve designed a book called DRAW! you can see it at my site. I believe that children (well everyone ) should be able to draw figuratively, it is the basis of visualization and realization.

58 Michelle June 27, 2014 at 12:02 am

The best scissors for 2-4 year olds are from IKEA… They don’t have fingerholes and little hands can very easily cut by simply squeezing.

59 Tanja H. September 7, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I just found your blog via Martha Stewart. I don’t have kids, but am an Auntie to very creative nephews & nieces. Art supplies, a Fantastic gift idea and I won’t forget anything with all the ideas here. Now, I can shop the back-to-school sales & put together a treasure chest of art goodies just in time for the holidays.
The children will be thrilled to open the packages and begin making masterpieces.
Excellent blog post!