Getting Dressed

June 22, 2012

Tell me what you say to yourself every morning when you dress for the day, will you? I’m pretty sure my thoughts are a perfect mash-up of forecasts and the day’s errands and options fresh from the clothesline. But I just read an article — The Power of Positive Clothes — and I’ve got a new mantra I’ll be sharing with my kids. (And you!)

Fashion designer Peter Morrissey grew up modestly: six children sharing bedrooms, bathrooms, and a dining room table with only two chairs, with most of his clothes coming from Goodwill or a growing older sibling. But each morning, Peter’s father woke his children with the same message: “Kids, it’s time to get up and get dressed to go dreaming.”

How about that, Friends? I certainly know how to dress for a school conference or a  picnic at the Eiffel Tower, but dreaming? Oh, the options are fantastic, don’t you agree?

Tell me: How would you dress to dream? What would you change into right now if that was your goal for the day? I can’t wait to be inspired!

Photo via Coco+Kelley.

1 Natalie June 22, 2012 at 5:47 am

Oh goodness! I love that quote! If I were getting dressed to go dreaming I would probably dress less practical and more spontaneous. Maybe my outfit wouldn’t make the most sense for rain but perhaps other people might like seeing me walk down the street with a feather boa wrapped around my neck!

2 Sarah June 22, 2012 at 6:27 am

I think a tutu would have to be involved. And some high heels that would magically be comfortable in my dreams. On a related note, I’ve always heard that you should dress for the next job you hope to have rather than the one you currently have.

3 Janae @ Bring-Joy June 22, 2012 at 6:38 am

Dressed to go dreaming? That certainly wouldn’t include the workout clothes that I’m so prone to wearing most days! I agree with this fella, the concept or principle he’s getting at, which is–clothes affect our mood, how we feel, how we approach the world.

Thanks for the reminder that how we dress ourselves is important! Being a SAHM and working for home is often a challenge in this arena, because if I don’t get “dressed for dreaming” first thing in the day, it’s never going to happen & I end up wearing the yoga pants or workout gear from my morning exercise.

Dress for dreaming–that is an inspiring little mantra!

4 Sharon @ Discovering blog June 22, 2012 at 9:25 am

Oh, that is beautiful! Dress for dreaming…how magical!
I would dress in soft, comfy jersey. Flowy tank tops, capri pants with good pockets, and comfy ballet shoes that both support and don’t pinch (can’t seem to find this!).

That way I’d be set to explore, read, cook, play, and not think about the clothes that I’m wearing!

5 Jeri Lunsford June 22, 2012 at 9:36 am

I love that quote! And I love what someone else wrote about wearing a tutu is she was dressing to go dreaming. I honestly don’t know what I’d wear, but it’d probably be something fun, flirty, and girly.

My favorite quote about getting dressed is: “Today is not a dress rehearsal.” It reminds me to get out of my sloppy clothes and dress my best.

6 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag June 22, 2012 at 11:05 am

That’s easily the most inspiring thing I’ve heard lately! What a rad dad.

I think if I could dress anyway I wanted to go dreaming, and money was no object, — it would involved beautiful, colorful, flowery dresses that are somewhat Anthro-ish but more full and puffy. Kind of like Anthro-meets-Marie Antoinette-as-interpreted-by-Sofia-Coppola :)

7 Connie June 22, 2012 at 12:25 pm

If I needed to dress up for dreaming, I’d reach into the very back of my closet. A few years ago I had this penchant for buying formal dresses from thrift stores and clearance racks…pretty impractical gowns but lovely nonetheless. I have one that is petal pink satin ballgown with a black bow and a slight sweep train that I just. had. to. have. ($10 at Value Village in Wisconsin will convince any college girl that it was a smart buy!). I love it, but it hasn’t been worn yet. But that…that gown would be perfect for dreaming in. Maybe if my husband and I get to have children someday, I’ll have a funky daughter who will want to get crazy with the dreaming gowns in my closet. :) We’ll see.

8 Tara June 22, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Such a great perspective to have first thing in the morning!

9 Mary-My Life in Scotland June 22, 2012 at 2:19 pm

To go dreaming you say? I’d wear my black evening gown! I’d get all dolled up and go out! Who knows what I could imagine in that dress! I’ve not worn it for years and years. It has good memories. I bet it would make good dreams too.

10 Linnea June 22, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Dressed to go dreaming sounds fabulous! Right now, it’s more like – what clothes will fit over my growing baby belly? Can I make it work? Does it clash? Okay!

11 Erin June 23, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I would dress with more color, more cheer instead of worrying it would draw too much attention or make me look silly. Perhaps it’s time for me to step out of my comfort zone and dress for happy!

12 Darcy June 24, 2012 at 10:15 am

When I think of “dress to dream” I think of those children who are allowed to dress themselves. My daughter was one of those kids. She once wore: a plaid (red, white, black, and yellow) school girl-esque skirt, a red t-shirt that said lovable in black felt lettering, and spider man slippers. That is what my dress to dream outfit would be; a collection of my very favorite, comfortable clothing matching or not. :)

13 Kathleen June 25, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I love this quote. I think I subconsciously did this for the 2+ years I had Bell’s Palsy after my son was born. I was often overdressed for our activities, but I refused to have a paralyzed face and dress only in workout clothes. (maybe this attitude helped my recovery? that and chinese herbs!)

14 Daisy June 26, 2012 at 2:12 am

I love that quote!It’s so beautiful!

15 meta June 25, 2013 at 1:17 am

This year’s spring, I finally got in touch with my old self, in terms of fashion, after my 2nd child turned 2 and he became much more enjoyable :) I just bought many more skirt and dresses and really try to put them on first thing in the morning. I also started wearing make-up! My dream outfit would be full skirt and some cute heels (that are actually comfortable to be worn while taking care of little ones). Just like Kathleen said above, I am now sometimes overdressed, but I choose to look pretty! It’s not always practical though. Last Friday we had a BBQ and my son wiped his greasy face on my dress!

16 Koseli Cummings June 25, 2013 at 2:36 pm