A Few Things

June 15, 2012

Hello, Friends! The end of the school year is winding down here. Just a couple more weeks. This evening there will be a festival at school — and another one next weekend too. Olive has a lead role in her school play which she will perform this tonight. It has been such a treat listening to her practice her lines — all in French! I only understand a little of what she’s saying. : )

This weekend, we’ll also be celebrating Father’s Day, of course! I’m thinking breakfast in bed, possibly featuring these. What about you? What are your weekend plans? While we finish up the work week, here are a few things I hope you’ll enjoy:

- Long exposure photos from space.

- It’s not too late! Rad gift ideas for Dad you can order today and receive tomorrow.

- Spell it out in light switches. (I want this like crazy.)

- A really important video — and they’re so close to their goal!

- Say yes to cookie bowls.

- Fascinating — do you feel like numbers have personalities?

- Come on. A water blob?! I’ll bet my kids would LOVE this.

- Living in France has me obsessed with window boxes.

- A TED talk on visual data (I’m such a sucker for gorgeous visual data.)

- Join me on Pinterest. My boards are full of fun ideas for summer.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! Hooray for Dads!! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — Yesterday was my birthday! To celebrate, I enjoyed a giant bunch of peonies from our own yard, and the kids gave me stripey espadrilles! I need to take some pics. See more glimpses of our week on Instagram — I’m gabrielle_designmom.

1 Shannon { A Mom's Year } June 15, 2012 at 8:34 am

Happy birthday, fellow Gemini! Aren’t peonies one of the best parts of having a June birthday? I hope your day was as lovely as you. Thank you for bringing so much beauty and fun to our lives. Like water blobs…that made me smile!

2 Sonya June 15, 2012 at 8:43 am

Happy Belated Birthday from a fellow June baby (I’m next Thursday). I just started following your blog – got here from your sister’s blog.

3 Sara June 15, 2012 at 8:46 am

Happy belated Birthday! Hope you were spoiled. : )

4 Colleen June 15, 2012 at 10:14 am

Happy birthday!!!

5 Lau June 15, 2012 at 10:19 am

The flowers are so pretty, peonies are gorgeous. I’m glad you had a happy birthday ^^ xx

6 April O. June 15, 2012 at 10:50 am

Happy Birthday to a fellow June baby! :)

7 how2home June 15, 2012 at 11:21 am

Happy birthday! Those peonies look so nice :) Keep us posted with pictures for your fathers day weekend!

8 Shawna Greenway June 15, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Happy Birthday!

We’re having a week of celebrations at our house – Madeline’s 11th birthday was on Tuesday, last day of 5th grade is today, our wedding anniversary is on the 17th, and also Father’s Day! Too much celebrating is making the skirts a bit tight so I think I’m going to pass on the muffin tin pancakes but they look delish!

9 Laetitia June 15, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Happy belated Birthday!

10 Kimberly D June 15, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Ahhh! We have the same birthday! No wonder I like your blog/ideas/inspirations so much! Thanks for a wonderful site as always and Happy Birthday!

11 Jody June 15, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Happy Birthday!! :)

12 Jen June 15, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Happy birthday from one June baby to another. Mine was on Tuesday. I loooove peonies. They were one of our wedding flowers. Those and lilies of the valley. Wistful sigh… ;)

13 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay June 15, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Happy Birthday, if a day late, lovely Gabrielle. You make the world a better place.

14 Yvonne June 15, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Happy Birthday – or as they say in France, Bon Anniversaire! I’ve always loved that about French- it’s like ‘happy anniversary of the day you entered the world’ so nice to mark that occassion – we’re happy you’re here!

15 My Name is Jacy June 16, 2012 at 12:33 am

Happy Birthday! Hope it was a fantastic day for you!

Have a wonderful time in St. George! That is my hometown! I’ve been racking my brain for a place for you to rent… have you found somewhere? My parents have a GORGEOUS home out in Cliffs of Snow Canyon by Entrada and Tuachan but, I’m not so sure you’d want share it with them :)

I love peonies!

XO

16 kalanicut June 16, 2012 at 1:13 am

Happy Birthday Gabrielle. I have to say I would really like to see someone do a study on the number of Gemini’s involved in blogging/social media. It makes total sense as we’re the multi-tasker/communicators of the Zodiac. I seriously can’t believe how many people I’ve seen with birthdays the past month. It’s off the hook crazy.

17 Jacqueline June 16, 2012 at 9:19 am

Happy Birthday!

18 JenG June 16, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Love your instagram pics! Such a nice mood :) I noticed the one where you are getting milk from the neighbours, is this pretty common in France? Does it make you nervous at all? We used to drink fresh milk from neighbours when we were kids, but it is illegal now to do so. I think it tastes better but would feel hesitant to give it to my kids!

19 mandi@herbanhomestead June 17, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Thank you for the info on Playground. I have been supporting (through dollars and hands on work) the abolition of the child sex trade for about 8 years now. I am still shocked when I hear that people are unaware of this atrocity going on in our nation. It is so important to get the word out so we can stop it! I had the honor to sit and get to a know a girl that was recently rescued from sex trafficking. This is destroying lives, but these lives have the possibility of redemption. It is up to us to make sure they are all saved. Every single one of them…

20 Kelly Harp June 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm

i just adore peonies! What a wonderful birthday treat :)

21 kelleyn June 18, 2012 at 2:26 am

Hope you had a fantastic birthday!!!!!!

22 Erin June 18, 2012 at 12:05 pm

How cool is that wall of switches?! And I thought Pinterest was the ultimate “chore-avoidance” ….If I had that in my house, I don’t think I’d accomplish a single productive thing all day! Can you imagine the fun?

23 Lynda June 18, 2012 at 10:03 pm