Travel Jam

May 20, 2012

Hello, Friends! I’m back from Berlin and thinking about travel. The crowd at The Hive was such an international mix, and everyone came from such interesting places, it made me want to keep my bags permanently packed and visit every last corner of the globe. Possibly it’s the season — am I the only one that gets a major case of wanderlust as the weather warms?

In case you’ve caught the bug too, here are two online travel magazines that recently caught my eye:

First up, Travel Jam. It’s described as somewhere between a magazine of childish fashion, a journey diary and a women’s luxury mag. Mostly, I noticed it because the photography is so good!

I also love Wayfare Magazine. It’s full of great tips, smart reviews, and inspiring images. Fun fact: I got to hang out with Anne, the art director for the pilot edition of Wayfare, while I was in Berlin.

P.S. — A couple of weekends ago, when I got off the plane from Miami to Paris, my feet were swollen to about twice the normal size. Yikes! Has that ever happened to you? Luckily, the flight from Berlin to Paris is very short, so no swollen feet today. : )

1 Mary- My Life in Scotland May 21, 2012 at 7:41 am

Hate swollen feet! Cure: get up and walk around or stretch every hour on your flight. Seriously. Keeps the blood flowing. Sounds impractical, but it’s really not.

2 alexis_gentry May 21, 2012 at 7:48 am

Wow, Anne is someone I’d like to meet. What a resume! I can imagine that her anecdotes of Paris are amazing. Safe travels. :)

3 Karina Hotard May 21, 2012 at 7:55 am

I have the same “disease” (wanderlust), but the weather doesn’t need to warm up for me to wanna go to a new adventure…in fact, it seems i’m always ready to discover a new place.

4 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux May 21, 2012 at 8:32 am

I love to travel too…and yes, when the weather is beautiful it is so fun to see new places!! The world is so full of great places to travel!

5 Workingberlinmum May 21, 2012 at 11:34 am

Was lovely to meet you and hear you talk at ‘The Hive’, the heels clearly helped ;)

6 Laure May 21, 2012 at 11:38 am

Merci pour ces quelques mots Gabrielle! Toute l’équipe met une énergie folle pour livrer de belles images et nous sommes toujours ravis quand elles plaisent!

7 Debbie May 21, 2012 at 11:40 am

I heart Berlin, especially the “food court” at KaDeWe. :)

8 Sarah May 21, 2012 at 11:48 am

I have always had major wanderlust, but I’ve had few opportunities to travel in the last few years outside of going to visit family. Keep traveling and I’ll live vicariously through your blog! :)

9 Heidi May 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I definitely have the travel bug! Europe is my dream, but with a 12-month old, I don’t think it’ll be happening for a little while
They’re not sexy but knee-high compression stockings are awesome when you fly! I wore them when I was pregnant and flying and my legs and feet felt great after the flight! Oh, and getting up to walk around is good too

10 Shawn May 21, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Wanderlust is fabulous, but swollen feet are not! Try to keep your feet elevated – even using your purse as a footrest will help. Avoid salt and alcohol before and during the flight and drink lots of water.

11 Dee May 22, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Oh, thanks! I really like Wayfare.

12 Mikala May 27, 2012 at 8:37 am

To prevent the swelling, I read somewhere to write the alphabet with your feet! I upper and lowercase, and have never again had swelling. If I have sore eyes, I do the alphabet with my eyes (closed!).

13 ann May 29, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I stopped eating airline food (even when we have a 24 hour worth of international flights). I also only drink water. I carry an orange or two and eat that on tha plane. It is wonderful to smell the orange as you peel it…when the rest of the 12 hour flight is getting stale.

Moving around is also good.

As soon as I get to my hotel, I start doing 20 minutes of exercises in the hotel room. Those big exercise stretchy bands are good for this. Drink lots of water. Within one hour my feet were down.

I have been traveling internationally for 12 years. I finally figured out how to make them go down. It used to take a week for the swelling to quit.

Hope this is helpful

14 Kristy July 19, 2012 at 1:37 am

We love Wayfare! Very cool that you met Anne, I’ve been dying to meet her.