Sneak Peek: Olive Us

May 2, 2012

Oh my goodness! I have butterflies as I type this. I’m so excited about it. And nervous too! Remember when I mentioned we had a video crew at our house a couple of weeks ago? The crew goes by Tiger In A Jar, and they are amazing! Here’s a sneak peek of what we’ve been working on with them. Don’t worry, it’s short. : )

What is it? A new weekly web series called Olive Us that will launch mid-May. A series that we hope parents and kids will love! I’ll tell you more about it next week as we prep for the official “launch” (launch = show the first episode). But for now, I’m just so excited to share the trailer!

And if you watch the trailer, tell me, please: Are you intrigued? Does it appeal to you? I’d love to know! By the way, Ben Blair’s cousin, Geoff Groberg, did the fantastic music. And most of the adorable props are from Pottery Barn Kids — they’re sponsoring the first 3 episodes!

P.S. — I snapped the image above during one of the episode shoots. I call it: Tiger In A Jar In A Field.

1 Kimberly Stiner May 2, 2012 at 7:05 am

I am in love with this. Capturing these sweet little moments so beautifully is genius. I watched a few of the Tiger in a Jar clips and it really captured me. I wanted more. It simply makes you happy. That is what brings me back to you every day. You brighten my day and inspire me to be better with my own family. Can’t wait to see these continuing short films each week. Thank you!!

2 Chris May 2, 2012 at 7:13 am

Yes, call me intrigued! I love the shot of June toddling through. Can’t wait for more! and how fun to find a project that involves your kids. Yay!

3 Jena May 2, 2012 at 7:14 am

Me too! I’m totally in love with this. Your children crack me up – reminds me so very much of my childhood; one brimming with creativity, adventure and somehow coupled with old-fashioned sensibilities.

Cannot wait for the launch!

4 Pamela Balabuszko-Reay May 2, 2012 at 7:17 am

More please! And yes, I love the music!

5 Eryn May 2, 2012 at 7:18 am

I adore this! I can’t wait to see more :)

6 Shawna Greenway May 2, 2012 at 7:26 am

Oh my gosh! How great is this!! I cannot wait to see the first episode.

7 Helen May 2, 2012 at 7:28 am

Well of course we’re intrigued.

And yes, the music is perfect.

More please!

8 kelly harp May 2, 2012 at 7:36 am

cuties :) and that music is great. i’m curious – what will it be about? just the kids? live in france?
best wishes with the project!

9 Ris May 2, 2012 at 7:37 am

Love this, and love the music!

10 ellie May 2, 2012 at 7:39 am

this looks so wonderful! all of your children are so adorable. :)

11 Erin May 2, 2012 at 7:40 am

Olive it!! (I love it!)

It looks fabulous & I can’t wait to see more :)

12 mom in mendon May 2, 2012 at 7:48 am

SO DARLING!!! I can’t wait for more. The music is fabulous, just perfect. And I can’t get enough of those cute Blair faces.

13 Trina {Beginner Beans} May 2, 2012 at 7:49 am

I love it!! I’m so excited to learn/see more! How fun!

14 Audrey May 2, 2012 at 7:50 am

The video couldn’t be any more precious. I could watch it all day. Great music. I look forward to the launch!

15 Jennifer May 2, 2012 at 7:54 am

Oh my goodness, it looks like something I would just love to watch with my children. Can’t wait to see it. Thanks for the preview.

16 The New Diplomats Wife May 2, 2012 at 8:15 am

loooooooooooove it! I can’t say that I was totally sure what this was about after the trailer (other than maybe life on a french farm) but i guess that’s where the intrigue kicks in. Totally love the film work and the children are adorable. I was actually thinking on my flight home from my reunion in Italy that I completely regreat that I didn’t think to hire someone like Tiger in Jar just to film our class 10 years on – note to self for the 15 year reunion!

17 tere May 2, 2012 at 8:17 am

We want more!!! Your kids look lovely, you must be so happy, proud and doting watching these videos!! Aesthetic, colors and music are beautiful too. This will be a such a neat keepsake.

18 Catherine May 2, 2012 at 8:23 am

This is amazing and beautiful! If it were a movie trailer I would have grabbed my husband and told him we had to go see it immediately. The music is spot on! I’m so excited!

19 the emily May 2, 2012 at 8:24 am

I AM intrigued! I can’t wait to see more. Your kids are simply gorgeous. Also, I got slightly teary (don’t worry, everything makes me teary these days) to think of how lucky your oldest boy is to have an experience like this at his age, with his interest in filmmaking. He’s already got a foot in the door and contacts and he’s, what, 13? You are really, really good parents.

20 {plum} May 2, 2012 at 8:24 am

dying!

june + bear = love.

amazing.

– d.

21 bdaiss May 2, 2012 at 8:28 am

Well add me to the list of adoring fans who can’t wait to see the whole deal. :)

22 Sharon @ Discovering Blog May 2, 2012 at 8:31 am

So well done! The music is so sweet, and fits the mood perfectly. Your family is beautiful, and I can’t wait to see more!

23 Jo May 2, 2012 at 8:39 am

wow! I love this. I would totally watch something like this. The cinematography + styling + music + subject = perfect. I love getting inspired by the setting as well as the subject matter. How wonderful!

24 Lori C. May 2, 2012 at 8:42 am

Love the music, colors, transitions! I can’t wait to see the rest.

25 chalky May 2, 2012 at 8:42 am

genius…can’t wait to see more. sponsored AND integrated content…wow. congrats, can’t wait to see more.

26 hyzen May 2, 2012 at 8:43 am

Oh my goodness, too adorable! What a photogenic group you have there, and I loved the setting and music, too. Can’t wait to see what comes!

27 christy May 2, 2012 at 8:48 am

Love the music! Your kids are too cute for words. And yes, totally intrigued and I am SURE my daughter would love to watch this with me!

(But I must say — no bike helmets!?! I guess I’ve too many dr friends tell me ER horror stories of traumatic head injuries… sorry to leave a downer thought, but it’s totally sincere!)

28 Jill V. / TerraSavvy May 2, 2012 at 8:50 am

Oh my goodness is right! Love it and the music is FANTASTIC! Can I get me some please? No, seriously.

Can’t wait to see the first episode!

I’ll make sure to spread the word!

PS – June and Claire are only days apart in age and it kills me everytime I see her doing the things Claire does. Don’t you just love this age?

29 Gia May 2, 2012 at 8:51 am

Can’t wait! What a great preview and I’m definitely looking forward to the first (and many!) episodes. I love Tiger in a Jar. What a treat to have two of my favorite things from the web coming together!

30 Jules May 2, 2012 at 8:55 am

The music is fantastic, and I can’t wait to hear more about the project. You are so smart and savvy.

p.s. I can’t believe June is old enough to be toddling. Where has time gone?

31 Megan P May 2, 2012 at 8:55 am

Love it! Those kids are exceptional! Can’t wait for more!

32 juliagblair May 2, 2012 at 8:58 am

You made my day already! And it’s not quite 9:00 AM! Hurray for Olive Us!! Eager, excited, enthusiastic, etc!!

33 maddi May 2, 2012 at 8:58 am

Very cute. I like the music alot!
Question for you…and maybe you’ve addressed this before but I’m a new reader… how do you reconcile exposing your kids and their lives on the world wide web? Does this bother you at all? Do you wonder if they are going to be p.o’d when their are older that complete strangers will know all these things about them? I’m not trying to be mean or snarky… I’m seriously curious. I have a child who has been approached a number of times to be in TV ( we live in nyc). While I’m flattered, and agree that my child is a good looking little ham, I really can’t bring myself to put him ‘out there’. My natural instinct is to protect him, teach him about privacy and to teach him not to share too much with strangers. Many friends agree with my approach, many think I’m a bit paranoid.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this subject.
Thanks!

34 Julie May 2, 2012 at 8:59 am

Definitely intrigued! :-) Can’t wait for more!

35 yours truly May 2, 2012 at 9:01 am

Of course I’m intrigued! Beautiful setting, beautiful children, beautiful music and creative minds. I read on your sisters blog about what amazing parents she thought you and Ben were, and how HAPPY and passionate your kids were and it really resonated with me. It’s just what I hope for my little ones, so I’m excited to see more of ‘Olive You’, what ever it may be about:) Congrats!

36 Haydee May 2, 2012 at 9:27 am

I am intrigued. While everything and everyone looks cute I really can’t wait to see the dynamics of your big family. I’m sure it will be inspiring! Very cool, congratulations.

37 Nora Ballantyne May 2, 2012 at 9:28 am

Your children are SO stunning. I love the cheerful, earthy music. Awesomeness, in a jar.

xoxoxo

38 Ayme May 2, 2012 at 9:29 am

I am really looking forward to next week :)

The trailer doesn’t reveal much – I have no idea what the show is about, who (just your kids?), or even its genre. Are you doing a new kind of family-friendly reality show? Is it about travel? Daily life in France? Is it a fun little scripted series?

The editing and photography made me smile – without having any of the answers to the questions above, I really am curious to know more. Knowing you, I’m sure it will be totally original and clever. Way to go, Blairs! :)

39 Raquel May 2, 2012 at 9:35 am

The clip is amazing and just perfect to pique one’s interest and curiosity. Can’t wait to see the full episode!

40 Tiny and True May 2, 2012 at 9:37 am

Oooh, so excited to see what this is about! I love the little preview and the music is fab :)

41 Jan @ Family Bites May 2, 2012 at 9:42 am

Brilliant! I have no idea what the webisodes are about but I’m already hooked.

42 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag May 2, 2012 at 9:44 am

This was SO delightful! I thought this was an ad for clothes because I’ve never seen children so well dressed before! Especially June’s outfit, oh my gosh the cute was OFF THE CHARTS. Can’t wait to see more :)

43 Sarah May 2, 2012 at 9:55 am

LOVE IT!

44 sophie May 2, 2012 at 10:13 am

Can’t wait to see more!

45 julie Dumas May 2, 2012 at 10:18 am

This looks like a great story!!! I just love your little bright eyed kids and their expressions. Can’t wait to see what life abroad brings to your family. Already loving the gardens and chickens, and countryside.

46 julie r May 2, 2012 at 10:29 am

adorable! can’t wait to see more!

47 Jennifer of Your Toy Portrait May 2, 2012 at 10:31 am

June pushing the bear in the wheelbarrow made me grin so hard it hurt! Can’t wait to see the rest!

48 morgan May 2, 2012 at 10:50 am

this looks like so much fun!! and geoff groberg is one of my husbands best friends, he used to play in a band called lincoln highway with him. so wonderful that he is doing the music, he is so talented!!

ps, when i see pics and video of where you live, it makes me want to pick my family up out of nyc and head straight to france’s countryside!! thanks for being so inspiring!

49 susan May 2, 2012 at 10:54 am

Love it and can’t wait for the first episode.

50 Amy E May 2, 2012 at 10:59 am

Intrigued? YES! Love the idea of watching your family living abroad (a dream of mine!) and your kids?? So beautiful! Congrats to you lucky lady!

51 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux May 2, 2012 at 11:05 am

Yes, definitely looks interesting…looks so wholesome also. Like getting back to roots and family time!! Cool video! Thanks for sharing the trailer.

52 MJ May 2, 2012 at 11:07 am

Oooh. looks awesome! I’m not into webisodes..but I’m willing to try it. It’s kind of like getting to have a play date with your whole fam. Fun!

53 Shelly May 2, 2012 at 11:17 am

Very intrigued!!! I wasn’t ready for the trailer to end. Can’t wait!!!

54 Noel May 2, 2012 at 11:31 am

This is adorable. I loved the music. So fun and lively. You have a beautiful spot on planet earth to share with everyone. I loved the kids walking with the lemonade sign. Although, I wondered how many customers they would get because it looks like you live in kind of a remote spot. Either way, this was colorful, cute, fun, and yes I want to watch more.

55 cupcakes for clara May 2, 2012 at 11:39 am

Ooh, it looks gorgeous! I can’t wait to see more. And the music is wonderful!

56 Sara May 2, 2012 at 11:42 am

Beautiful video and music! What a fun project!

57 kristi May 2, 2012 at 11:47 am

What’s not to like about this?! I know your family is super excited – and so are all your Design Mom fans!

58 beyond May 2, 2012 at 11:55 am

very intriguing. more, please!

59 Lydia May 2, 2012 at 11:57 am

Awesome. I love it.

60 Susan May 2, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Yes, very intrigued…can’t wait!

61 Melanie May 2, 2012 at 12:22 pm

This is so dang cute! My favorite part is June pushing the wheel barrel.

62 Ashley D. May 2, 2012 at 12:27 pm

How lovely! These videos will be so fun to watch.

But… no helmets for the kids???

63 Traveling Mama May 2, 2012 at 1:18 pm

WOW!! I love everything single thing about the trailer! yay and a huge congrats!!

64 Nina May 2, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Beautiful, well-made video with music that is spot on. Absolutely loved that scene with June!

I am intrigued, but I wish the trailer would say a bit more what exactly “Olive Us” is all about – is it gonna be traveling with kids or making crafts or what. For me, now it’s just a pretty video giving a sneak peek at your family, but telling more about the “purpose” – that would make motivated to watch the whole series.

65 Liz Maravilla May 2, 2012 at 1:43 pm

we love seeing the Blairs in any form! this looks sweet and happy.

66 Tiffany Lewis May 2, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I watched this and thought, “This is what multimedia should be.” Reminds me of the simplicity and beauty of my favorite movie, “Ponette” only it looks happier. :)

67 mindy t May 2, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Cant wait to see more!!

68 Dariela May 2, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Very intrigued!!! Looks amazing and I’m sure it will be great!

69 Stephanie May 2, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Love this! I also loved Pretty Darn Funny that you recommended!

70 Catherine at Design Editor May 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm

This is off the charts charming. Yes, I will be tuning in!

71 dunski May 2, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Looking forward for more!! Like the music and esp. the cast! and the scenery!

72 Martha May 2, 2012 at 3:43 pm

i don’t get it, but of course i love it. anytime i see you and your family in action (hello, Christmas photo shoot), it’s a recipe for awesomeness.

73 Silly Goose May 2, 2012 at 3:47 pm

For some reason the video won’t play.

74 Lisa H. May 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm

yes! this trailer makes me want to watch your show!! It is extremely well done :)

75 Bridgette May 2, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Oh my goodness, what a treasure! And I am thrilled that you are staying on in France. It’s delightful to watch :)

76 emily May 2, 2012 at 4:09 pm

gabby – r u kidding? we are ALL intrigued by anything you do, silly! I’m just so in love with the surroundings that seem to unfold everywhere you live…truly every wall, fence, field, road, structure seems magical. And what I love most is that you all seem to be so grateful for it and savoring it. When I watched June walking with the wheelbarrow I thought of her as an adult watching it for herself. “This is when I was almost 2 living in France.” I hope “Olive Us” is about families that love life and the little moments we share that are so special. The real stuff of life. Will stay tuned!

77 Kim May 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm

can’t wait! I also want to pick up and move to the French countryside right now! I guess all will be revealed, but I’m wondering about the title? not the olive part, but the us part?

78 Em @ Em for Marvelous May 2, 2012 at 4:44 pm

So fun! Can’t wait to see more!

79 Chris Olson May 2, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Love this sweet video. Makes me want to jump on Expedia and book a trip to France.

80 Shandra Lenae May 2, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I have kept my eye on Tiger in a Jar for some time now! -And I can not possibly be any more excited to see more of Olive Us!

81 Rebecca - A Daily Something May 2, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Your children are just beautiful! I cannot wait for the launch!!!!!!

82 Brenda Jo May 2, 2012 at 5:23 pm

beautiful! and my 16 month old LOVED the music – looking forward to the launch!

83 Wendy May 2, 2012 at 5:35 pm

This looks wonderful! I can’t wait to see & learn more. And the music is fabulous!

84 Ann May 2, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Very fun! Can’t wait! Congrats!

85 val May 2, 2012 at 6:07 pm

That is so very sweet. The music was excellent for the clips. Can’t wait to see what you are planning! Fun!

86 Yvonne May 2, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I can’t believe what a small world it is. I’ve been following your blog and there’s for almost a year. Love you both!

87 findingmagnolia May 2, 2012 at 6:19 pm

It looks fantastic! I can’t wait to see full episodes!

88 Jessica Cramer May 2, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Such a cute video! I love the music, and you have absolutely adorable children! How wonderful to have a memory like that to share! Looking forward to seeing more, makes me want to pack up and head over seas!

89 Meg May 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Absolutely intrigued…both big and little in my house! One of my daughters is obsessed with living in France and asks to see your site quite frequently “to see my future!” She will be over the moon excited to see this in the morning. Also, your children are just gorgeous…seriously. So excited to see what lies ahead!

90 Lisa May 2, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I hate to be “that” person, but the video does nothing to make me curious about whatever is coming. Your family is beautiful and I love your site, but I have to be honest…the video is …eh. I probs would not tune back in for whatever is coming. Luv ya though!!!!

91 Nicole May 2, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Well…I clicked and within a few seconds of the music starting my daughter, Maya, gravitated from across the room to see what it was I was watching…very catchy, captivating and you have such beautiful kids!! We will definitely be watching as this latest project takes flight! Wow – your vision and talent is astounding!!!

92 Juli Brandenberger May 2, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Yes! Yes! I’m intrigued! Love the color, simplicity & music. Can’t wait to see more. Oh, and of course, the children are just precious.

93 Nahir May 2, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Muy intrigada! El trailer es atrapante así que los estaré viendo aunque no entienda el idioma. Sigo su blog desde hace tiempo, me encanta la aventura que han emprendido, sobre todo siendo una familia numerosa.
Y amo que se queden un año mas!
Muchos exitos!
Saludos desde Buenos Aires, Argentina

94 Tan May 2, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Bah I’m SO intrigued! I absolutely love the trailer and can’t wait for the first episode!

95 Gretchen SB May 2, 2012 at 8:22 pm

LOVE IT!!! How adorable/delightful! Also, I’m so glad you’re staying in France for another year. Then I can live vicariously through your lovely photos.

96 Cathy May 2, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I’d watch it and I hate TV. Love that music

97 Lina May 2, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I’m excited for you! ..and yes, very intrigued! I appeals to the part of me that wants to live in the country and raise my kids as if we were living on the Little House on the Prairie!

98 r8chel May 2, 2012 at 8:39 pm

What a sweet little video. :) The trailer doesn’t really help me know what the full episodes will be like, but I’m sure I’ll watch them… as long as they’re not too long. Haha. :) I would probably only show them to my kids if I knew there was going to be either a comedic moment or something new/interesting that I wanted them to learn about. I’m afraid my kids wouldn’t “get it” otherwise.

I’m looking forward to seeing more!

99 Sandra Gonzales May 2, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Your babies are getting so big!

100 Nikki May 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Yes so much fun. The music sets the tone, the overall feeling is fun. Your gorgeous daughter with brown hair, in the red dress (sorry not sure of her name…perhaps Maude?) anyway she looks so much like you!! Look forward to seeing the rest.