Olive Us Launch! Episode 1: Gardening

May 16, 2012

It’s here! Olive Us has officially launched. Tiger in a Jar — the amazing video crew who put this together — has been working round the clock to finish up the edits. And I’m crazy excited about how it turned out! I hope you are too. : ) I can’t wait to hear what you think of it.

Things you can do to join in the fun:

- Watch our pilot episode. It’s called Garden Day. It was made with love!

- Check out the new Olive Us website. You can find out more about the show there, including FAQs and bios of the kids. There’s even a video of Ben Blair talking about the aims of the series.

- Subscribe to Olive Us! We’ll be sharing new videos every week and we don’t want you to miss out.

- Tell your friends. We’d love help getting the word out about Olive Us. If you like what you see, feel free to share the videos on Facebook or your own blog or wherever you like to share things.

We hope you enjoy the first episode. A huge thanks to Pottery Barn Kids for being the sponsor — they’ve been so fun to work with, and their faith in the idea made the series a possibility.

P.S. — Oscar made up the song at the end on the video. Hah!

Source List

I worked hard on the props and styling for each shot. From glimpses of the series on Instagram and the teaser videos, I’ve already been getting questions about some of the objects and clothes in the videos. So I’ll plan on including a source list for every episode. Here’s the first one! Since Pottery Barn Kids is the awesome sponsor for this episode, we sourced as much as we could from them. Anything not on the list, is from our personal collection or belongs to the homeowners here at La Cressonnière.

Gardening Props & Equipment

Tiny wheelbarrow, gardening gloves, kid-size potting table, flower seed tins, birdhouse, red lantern, chalkboard plant labels, butterfly nets — all from Pottery Barn Kids.

Twine, red hand rake, kid size rake & shovel, and pale blue watering can are from Intermarché.

Wardrobe

June’s gingham dress is from Kayce Hughes.

Betty’s gingham skirt, Betty’s red sweater, and Oscar’s red polo are from Olive Juice Kids.

Betty’s boots, Oscar’s plaid button down, Maude’s red stripe hoodie and Olive’s navy print hoodie are from Polarn O. Pyret.

Ralph’s green jacket and June’s chambray jacket are from Zara Kids.

June’s heart print hoodie is from HEMA.

Red and yellow wellies by Hunter.

1 Mom in Mendon May 16, 2012 at 7:57 am

Hooray!!! Hugs and kisses to all the wonderful Blairs and Co.

2 Jessica May 16, 2012 at 7:59 am

Beautiful!! So well put together and sweet. I love the idea of portraying sibling relationships in such a positive way. Well done! I look forward to the next episode.

As an aside, I think it’s amazing to see you and Ben in each of your children. They really are a beautiful bunch of kids!

3 Lisa May 16, 2012 at 8:25 am

Charming and adorable! I am so excited for the next episode!!

4 Melanie Saucier May 16, 2012 at 8:28 am

Wow, I love the video! Aside from the project, which is great, I think it will be so fun for your children to watch these videos when they’ll be grown up. What a great life experience they are living. Beautiful! You and Ben did a great job!

5 Mary-- The Yellow Door Paperie May 16, 2012 at 8:38 am

So beautiful! What a great first episode! You must be so proud!

6 Gretchen May 16, 2012 at 8:39 am

What bright and charming kids! I absolutely love the made-up song at the end. This made me want to get out in my garden. :)

7 Karina Hotard May 16, 2012 at 9:54 am

Beautiful! Very fresh and candid. Simple things are worth showing.Well done!

8 Moriah May 16, 2012 at 10:02 am

So cute! Totally love it. And Oscar, seriously, so sweet with his cute comments and the little song! They are all great!

9 My Name is Jacy May 16, 2012 at 10:08 am

This is great G! I love the whole idea of it… and I agree with Melanie above… your children will love this when they are older! SO FUN!

10 Trina {Beginner Beans} May 16, 2012 at 10:13 am

Congrats! That’s so exciting!! Looks awesome and looking forward to more :) Also, will definitely be sharing this on my blog and Facebook “and wherever else I like to share things” :D

11 jenny also May 16, 2012 at 10:17 am

Love it! Good looking and full of heart. Looking forward to showing this to my 6 year old although I know he is going to beg to plant some stuff and I am not a good gardener. Which kind of leads to my only suggestion, to include the the parents presence at least a little. The parents are directly and leading and part of this sibling full family and I think it would be good to show that element too.

12 Kjersten May 16, 2012 at 10:21 am

Great episode! I really liked it. It is so fun to see your beautiful children and I can’t believe how much Maude looks like you when you were little.

13 janineg May 16, 2012 at 10:22 am

Beautiful! I loved it! Your children are really beautiful and I felt like it showed a beautiful part of childhood.

14 Maike May 16, 2012 at 10:24 am

Love it! makes me happy when I watch it.
Thanks for all the happiness you create.

15 Ilene May 16, 2012 at 10:28 am

Very sweet. Love the music and dreamy quality.

16 Dale Coykendall May 16, 2012 at 10:31 am

adorable kids

17 Kristy May 16, 2012 at 10:33 am

So charming! They are all so charming. And Olive is GROWING UP! Very beautifully, I might add.

18 Mairi May 16, 2012 at 10:51 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! There is trully so much joy in being alive!!!!

19 Amanda May 16, 2012 at 10:58 am

I didn’t realize until I watched this episode how much your children look like you and Ben Blair! Adorable – the children and the episode!

20 MJ May 16, 2012 at 10:59 am

THANK YOU! I adore your reasoning behind this series. And we could oh so use it in our home right now. Summer brings about wonderful opportunities for sibling shared moments, and I love seeing examples of peaceful, respectful, endearing siblings. You two are right on…we need these great examples. Can’t wait to show this to my little ones (7, 5, 2). We have our own garden to plant. XOXO, MJ

21 Katie May 16, 2012 at 11:03 am

This is so inspiring on so many levels. I love the use of internet for good, not evil. The thought of the good winning makes me giggle slyly as I sit here on my apple break at work. Olive us feels like a big, warm hug and it makes me want to be a better human being.

22 Whitney May 16, 2012 at 11:04 am

That was so cheery and sweet! I loved seeing your children talk about planting and work together. The shot them dancing and Ralph playing the air-guitar was priceless. Thank you for sharing your lovely children with us!

23 Mariah Danielsen May 16, 2012 at 11:09 am

I’m in love with this. So sweet + inspiring. Congrats on such an amazing project!

24 Stacy May 16, 2012 at 11:10 am

My 4 year old and I just watched this together and we loved it! Congratulations and well done! We can’t wait for big brother to get home from school and show him too. Looking forward to the next installment!

25 Morgan (The818) May 16, 2012 at 11:11 am

Love love love how this turned out. These will be so incredible for you all to have when they are grown!

26 JC May 16, 2012 at 11:11 am

Loved it, shared it. Keep ‘em coming. :)

27 Clyde May 16, 2012 at 11:13 am

Very creative and SWEET! Congratulations to all of you… You’re great actors but most importantly a wonderful (good lookin’) family!

28 cupcakes for clara May 16, 2012 at 11:14 am

Oh it is just wonderful! You’re all so amazing. And inspiring! Can’t wait for the next episode.

29 Kelsey May 16, 2012 at 11:25 am

This is amazing!! We are so looking forward to more episodes!! Your kids are all so stylish!

30 Rachael May 16, 2012 at 11:30 am

Loved this! We just planted our garden on Monday (FHE, anyone?!) and I enjoyed so much seeing your children working together–my kids are still young (7, 5, 3, 1) but they love digging around in the dirt and tucking in the seeds! Thanks so much, Gabby, for sharing this. I often wonder how families with more children “do it,” especially since I want more children but things are so hectic now with mine, and it’s so lovely to see the happy dynamic between your children. And to daydream about my children being as helpful in a few years (Ralph can actually shovel! Awesome!).

31 Yulia May 16, 2012 at 11:31 am

Loved watching the episode with my 11year old son . He got very much interested in eenie-meenie thing done by the girls. can we have the text? :)
Looking forward for the next episode!
Yulia+Gleb from Moscow

32 Tiffany Lewis May 16, 2012 at 11:32 am

Thanks for creating something worthwhile that the entire family will love to watch! What a great vision.

33 julie May 16, 2012 at 11:34 am

I just loved Olive Us!!! I’m in the garden myself this week, and that was so refreshing.

34 Andrea May 16, 2012 at 11:42 am

Cute, cute, cute! My little 4year old daughter just watched it together. Your Olive is a gorgeous girl!

35 Amanda Jane Jones May 16, 2012 at 11:45 am

Oh! I love this so much.

36 Raquel May 16, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Lovely, congrats! Your family is such an inspiration for all of us.

37 Wendy McSwain May 16, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Your kids are so adorable. It’s so neat to see your and Ben’s mini-me’s and the other sweet combinations. Thanks for sharing. I can’t believe how much your kids have grown since I started following your blog five years ago or so. We love our garden and it’s such a great thing to look at/work in/eat out of with the kids.

38 julie May 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm

My goodness your children are adorable! Very sweet.

39 Jenny May 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Your children are just the loveliest-they all just melt my heart. And the video is so charming and sweet. Wonderfully done. I can’t wait to see more.

40 Sharon Gullikson May 16, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I work for Pottery Barn Kids, and recognize some of our products. This is a cute video which should be shown at PBK stores on our portable DVD players at the checkstands. It shows that gardening is totally accessible for kids, and is enjoyable and interesting. Bravo!! I’m also a big time gardener, and member of a garden club. So I’m very into this!

41 Mara {A Blog About Love} May 16, 2012 at 12:32 pm

This is the best family video I’ve ever seen. I just adore it. It’s so well done and fun to watch. I can’t wait to show Danny. Your family could not be more wonderful. Those kids! Ahhh…they are just making me melt. xoxox

42 Kirsteen May 16, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Love, love, love this! You must be so proud of all your children, they are amazing in this!

43 Gina May 16, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Congratulations, Gabrielle! I’ve just watched it with two of my kids on my knees. They laughed, they were inspired and they asked great questions; right up to wishes for their own gardens! (Sweden… we’ll have to wait until June!) It was fun because I felt that they could really relate and wanted to relay that! It left us wanting more! Have fun bringing us more!

44 Laura May 16, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I loved this! What a fun family project. Great job Blair family!!

45 Jessica May 16, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Fantastic and beautiful! It’s so true that TV and books are too filled with nasty bickering siblings who only learn the important lessons about sharing and caring in the final 3 minutes or on the last 2 pages. How wonderful to have something that highlights the more positive moments of sibling life! Well done!

46 Anna May 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm

This makes me want a sibling for my daughter. How darling.

47 Alysa May 16, 2012 at 1:10 pm

We love, love, loved this! I watched it twice in a row and then my three year old son Benjamin watched it three times in a row. :) I’m sure I’ll show it to my husband this evening.

I called my mom to tell her I was going to send her the link to the first episode. When I got off the phone Benjamin said, “What did you tell Grammy?”

“I’m going to send her the link to the garden day video.”

“Mommy, can we not send it to her?”

“Why?”

“Because then we will not have it on our computer.”

*oh dear heart* We had a lovely little chat about how it will still be available for us to watch, too. Keep it up, we love Olive Us!

48 Ivonne May 16, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Super cute! I´ll show it to Emma to night.

49 Jan @ Family Bites May 16, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Amazing…I love it!

50 Colleen May 16, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Adorable!

51 magda May 16, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Absolutely amazing! Congratulations to everyone involved! Love it!

52 teresa May 16, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Happy Day- I just signed up. What an awesome adventure!

53 caroline May 16, 2012 at 1:33 pm

OH MY GOD :) What a result ! I LOOOOOVE it !!!
BRAVO aux acteurs en herbe… aux sympathiques “Tiger in a Jar” … et félicitations aux heureux parents de cette merveilleuse grande famille. Love you !
Gabby and Ben : Merci du fonds du coeur pour le petit clin d’oeil de fin ;)

54 Melissa L. May 16, 2012 at 1:37 pm

What a gift! Thank you for sharing this super fun project.

I loved your kid’s commentary on the weeds. We have a big yard in sunny Central Florida and weeds are always popping up. A few years ago, we planted a butterfly garden and with all the beautiful flowers came the task of pulling weeds to protect those flowers. We have made that into a word picture or life analogy for our children. When we have unkind words spoken here at our house or unkind actions taken, we compare those unkind deeds to weeds. If left unchecked, they could really harm someone. Pulling weeds has become a real character building activity in our family.

55 Diane May 16, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Just fun sweetness!!

56 sofija May 16, 2012 at 1:46 pm

So inspiring and sweet!! How cool it is, when families work together.

57 Gabriel Lopez May 16, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Charming and adorable! I love your website by the way!

58 Martha May 16, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I am sure that it is the age, but I am adoring cute Oscar. What incredible kids, you are an amazing mother.

59 Jean May 16, 2012 at 1:55 pm

What sweet fresh faces! Makes me miss my grown up kids.

60 Leanne May 16, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Fabulous! So authentic and what a wonderful topic – gardening. You guys should all really be proud of yourselves….this is a wonderful thing to share. Thank you! I was smiling the entire time.

61 Gina May 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm

You continually amaze me with your ideas… heading over to check it out!

62 Jo May 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm

wow! This series is my new favorite thing! I love it!

And how cute are your sweet kids! Man. This makes me want more kids.

And your sweet husband?! Oh my. I love how he kinda talks out of the side of his mouth. Oscar’s mannerisms really mimic his in this video. How wonderful.

Thanks for doing this! I really can’t say enough. Just love it!

63 elizabeth May 16, 2012 at 2:42 pm

my 4 year old loved it (as did I). “Let’s watch it again. That was fun!”

64 yours truly May 16, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I just watched this with my 5 year old daughter, and she says she likes Oscar talking so much! I have to agree, his voice and expressions are so adorable. All of your children are lovely, and exude such happiness and joy- I loved watching it! Thank you for sharing your sweet kids with all of us!!

65 wendy May 16, 2012 at 2:57 pm

That was so cute! Loved it!

66 Hannah Stevenson @ MiniMe Paper Dolls May 16, 2012 at 3:05 pm

LOVE IT and so do my kids! Laurel asked to watch “The Garden Kids” over and over. So excited for this…what an awesome concept and idea. Oh and I never get tired of seeing your brood…such a great family. THANK YOU!

67 Amy May 16, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Darling. You guys remind me of the Penderwicks.

68 Rachel Doniger May 16, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Absolutely love this.

69 kristi May 16, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Oh my goodness gracious, your kids are adorable! Congratulations to your family on this wonderful, beautifully executed idea.

70 Cortnie May 16, 2012 at 3:35 pm

YAY! Can’t wait to watch it!

xo
cortnie

71 Zoe - SlowMama May 16, 2012 at 3:40 pm

So beautifully done. And the kids are stars! They must be thrilled. You all should be. Congrats!

72 Nicole May 16, 2012 at 3:51 pm

In the words of my three-year-old, “Let’s watch dat again!” LOVE.

73 Katie May 16, 2012 at 4:06 pm

This is incredibly sweet. What smart and lovely children you have. I was having a hard day today but this warmed my heart and made me smile!

74 Katie B. May 16, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Awesome! Just watched with my 3.5 year old. He says…” mom, let’s go plant some pumpkins!” Perfect format and length for young kids and the idea of cooperation really shines throughout! Can I say this without sounding silly….but as a longtime reader I’m just so proud of what you’ve created!

75 Dee May 16, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Your kids are adorable! My kids watched with me. I like the potting bench and my older daughter wants labels for her garden now.

76 katik May 16, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Completely and utterly delightful. My children want to watch it over and over!

77 Lola May 16, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Oh wowee. Your children are delightful (June and that giant welly! Betty and her voice! “Some people say you should sing to it but I’m not really sure …”). The concept is delightful. And oh, but is the editing ever delightful. Great job Tiger in a Jar and great job Blairs! Totally looking forward to the next episode.

Lola x

78 Em @ Em for Marvelous May 16, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Betty is my favorite!!! She is too, too adorable! :)

79 tere May 16, 2012 at 4:59 pm

really really lovely!!! Three kids, baby and me saw it and we couldn’t stop smiling. If you could see my kids’ faces!! They felt part of it, asked questions, wanted Oscar and Betty to come and play, but best of all: they want a garden day now, best day ever!! Congrats, Gabby and Ben! Beautiful project and a delight to watch.

80 Linnea May 16, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Wow! So precious. And Oscar is so articulate! As a choral music teacher, I can tell you that he’s displaying a lot of music potential – great rhythm, good pitch for his age – would love to hear about him starting an instrument or joining a children’s choir someday soon!

81 Pistolette May 16, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Oh this is so cute! And you and your hubby each have one kid that looks almost exactly like you! Adorable family.

82 Susan (5 Minutes for Mom) May 16, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I am in love with Olive Us. So beautiful… just amazing. True inspiration. Thank you for sharing your beautiful family with us.

83 jen May 16, 2012 at 5:36 pm

love it! my kids enjoyed it too…hopefully it will inspire them to get out into the garden with me! and my goodness Maude looks like you. wow!

84 r8chel May 16, 2012 at 5:53 pm

So sweet, Gabby. Your kids should all feel proud of the work they put into this video, as well as Ralph’s extra Fun Facts video.

I enjoyed seeing all of your children in the video, but I’m especially glad for a chance to see Olive more. I feel like I’ve gotten to know all of your kids through the blog except Olive! She’s so poised.

And is Oscar a mini Ben Blair or what?! All he needs is a beard and glasses!

85 everton terrace May 16, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Best. Family. Video. Ever.
EVER.
I so loved it.
I think the world might just fall in love with Oscar after this.
I love how he’s laying there and he says “best day ever”. Reminds us all that children don’t need mountains of toys and video games.
Then there’s the part where he says pull gently and
how the plants look cute and pretty. Kills me.
I don’t watch reality TV but I would so watch a Blair Family reality show just to enjoy your beautiful, delightful children – all of them.

86 Leslie May 16, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Very earthy and sweet! Reminds me of my kids…..out in the garden…but not so jovial! Have you seen KidHistory on youtube? It might be inspiration for 1 episode… it’s one of our family’s favorites!
And, and tell Oscar that he might have a future in jingle ads!
mille merci!

87 Leslie May 16, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Oh, so when you go to KidHistory, episode #1,4,6 are our favorites (you really have to watch them all, but those are the gut buster ones) I would love to see Olive Us do an episode like this with Gabrielle and Ben doing the voice overs! And maybe a french neighbor or two also! Just thinking about it, gets me all excited! Please please consider it! A la prochaine!

88 fiona H May 16, 2012 at 7:22 pm

OMG devine. this is just devine.

89 Meg May 16, 2012 at 8:14 pm

oh, how wonderfully lovely! the scenery, the cast, the music (especially the final song!)..all just simply lovely! can’t wait for the next episode!

90 Lina May 16, 2012 at 8:25 pm

That is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! Little Oscar at the end – oh, so sweet! Just like my little girl improvising on the spot – that’s the best!

I really appreciate and commend you for setting examples of positive family relationships that inspire and showcase good family values. Awesome. Can’t wait to share with my daughter tomorrow! I’ll of course have her garden shovel and watering can ready! ;)

91 My Traveling Troop May 16, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Awww! I love the show Olive Us. Your kids are beautiful & so is the scenery. More importantly, I heart the message behind series.

I only have one kid now. So, I must admit that I haven’t thought a lot about how siblings interact lately. But I am one of four kids and in my experience, relationships between siblings — good or bad — are generally not talked about too much. I think it’s wonderful that you are showing how, just like a garden, relationships between siblings can grow into something beautiful with a little T.L.C. I will definitely keep watching and look out for tips on nurturing and teaching positive relationships as we try for baby #2!

Cheers,
Kristina

92 elizabeth May 16, 2012 at 9:02 pm

adorable and so sweet! looking forward to the next episode!

93 Emme May 16, 2012 at 9:03 pm

With a childhood like theirs they are destined to do great things.

94 Maria Martino May 16, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Perfection.

95 Tania May 16, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Okay. Right now I have 1 daughter with another little person on the way, but after seeing this video you made me want to have a whole lot more. I just subscribed to Olive Us…love it so much!

96 Stephanie May 16, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Love this Gabby. Totally showing it to my kids in hopes that seeing YOUR kids excited about gardening will get them excited too. Plus they’ll just like seeing your kiddos again. They ask about them from time to time…we will have to plan a mini reunion sometime!

97 Sandy May 17, 2012 at 12:01 am

Nothing beats digging in the dirt and taking pride in watching your hard work grow, and grow, and grow! One of my favorite things about growing up on a farm was helping my Mom in the garden. You will have to do another video of the “big harvest”.

PS – Your children are such a great mix of you and your husband! Beautiful family.

98 jennifer milton May 17, 2012 at 2:52 am

Really digging this!! It’s fun to follow you b/c we are also a family living overseas….and we love to garden! will be fun to show my kids. I think it’ll make them feel special to see kids ‘on t.v.’ doing it too!

jennifer (in New Zealand)

99 stephanie May 17, 2012 at 3:29 am

wow! Im really impressed! Not only by the video, but also by the project! It’s a really wonderful idea and sooo important!! I can’t wait to see more!

100 Ashley Shean May 17, 2012 at 5:13 am

What a precious group of children. I once heard somewhere that the goal of motherhood was not to raise children, but adults. You and Ben Blair appear to be doing a fantastic job, and I’m sure it’s not by accident.