Olive Us: Episode 2: I’m Hungry: Tzatziki

May 23, 2012

Are you ready for episode 2 of Olive Us? It’s something completely different from Garden Day — it’s a recipe tutorial! Make this with your kids and dip bread or crackers or veggies in it. They will love it!

I hope you enjoy the show! If you’d like to stay in touch about all things Olive Us, be sure to subscribe here. You’ll receive a weekly email with updates, new videos and behind the scenes footage. For example, here’s Ralph sharing some fun facts about episode 1.

Once again, a big thank you to Pottery Barn Kids for sponsoring our first 3 episodes!

P.S. — At the Blair house, we love tzatziki on everything. We learned to make it when Ben Blair and I lived in Greece. We’ll make a big batch for dinner and eat it with chicken and Greek salad. Have you ever tried it?

Cooking Props & Equipment

Blue stripe tablecloth (actually, it’s a duvet cover!), navy stacking bulk bins, red compost/garbage pail, small wire basket, denim apron — all from Pottery Barn Kids.

Paper napkins and heart toothpicks are from Intermarché.

Maude’s red mini dress from Zara Kids.

Olive’s red stripe sweater from Gap Kids.

Oscar’s button down from Kiabi.

1 Sally Cage May 23, 2012 at 5:37 am

Yay, episode #2! Great recipe, and great music!! Had me tapping my toes and wanting to be eating tzatziki! Love how much Oscar loved squishing the cukes and garlic! And Maude’s hair looked so glam :)

2 maria y. May 23, 2012 at 5:40 am

LOVE tzadziki! Being greek helps too!
I’m so glad you like it…! You can also try it on pitta bread with meat or chicken,
tomato and parsley and it will feel like being in Greece all over again!

3 Kelleyn May 23, 2012 at 5:47 am

I smiled the whole video, but really love the part where Oscar is squeezing the water out of the cucumbers. Too cute!

4 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux May 23, 2012 at 5:52 am

What fun!! Will have to try that recipe with my girls – Thanks!

5 Kelly May 23, 2012 at 5:54 am

Ha! We went out last night for Greek because I was craving Tzatziki. Thanks to your kids, my oldest is planning to make some for me now! Olive Us is so cute! Tell your kids they have big fans in Ohio! Great job!

6 Amy @ Picture It May 23, 2012 at 6:41 am

I loved the little illustrations. Adorable! Great second video. Excited to see more!

7 Jan @ Family Bites May 23, 2012 at 7:14 am

So fun! What a great recipe to share….

8 tere May 23, 2012 at 7:15 am

oh, God!! Oscar faces are priceless!! adorable and delicious!

9 Laura Mayes May 23, 2012 at 7:23 am

LOVE! I’m showing this to Harry the second he gets home from school. I fully believe because Oscar eats cucumbers, Harry will now eat cucumbers. Thank you.

10 ris May 23, 2012 at 7:47 am

Love it! The kids look so much like you and Ben Blair when you see them on film. Lucky kids! ;)

11 Andrea May 23, 2012 at 8:33 am

I’m eating these lovely videos up–and your sweet kiddos, too!

12 Valerie (all mussed up) May 23, 2012 at 8:33 am

Utterly adorable!

I love making tzadziki with mandolined paper-thin slices of cucumber – it makes it extra pretty.

13 Isla May 23, 2012 at 9:06 am

LOVE this one – concept, styling, production, pace, and length.

I am particularly impressed by how natural your children are — no one is “overacting” or trying to hog the camera. :)

I am also so inspired by your creative, entrepreneurial family. You’ve written about it before, and I see it action. I love that your children share your zest and courage! Great job to all.

14 Trina {Beginner Beans} May 23, 2012 at 9:09 am

Wow, what good eaters you have! My kids have some progress to make in that area :)

15 natasha May 23, 2012 at 9:52 am

This was an adorable episode. Seriously, it made me so happy on an otherwise dreary day. Can’t wait to show this to my son (he’s almost 4).

Will definitely be making some of this yumminess soon (with grilled chicken and salad too!)

PS. your children are gorgeous ;-)

16 Melissa L. May 23, 2012 at 10:08 am

17 Mairi May 23, 2012 at 10:11 am

As a Greek and a lover of tzatziki I only have to say BRAVO!!!!

18 juliagblair May 23, 2012 at 10:32 am

I’m making it tonight! Yum!!!

19 mom in mendon May 23, 2012 at 10:33 am

Gorgeous Maude. Gorgeous Olive. Handsome Oscar. Love those faces. Love those people!!

20 r8chel May 23, 2012 at 10:46 am

I love that little smile / shrug/ head-shake thing Maude does right at the beginning. :)

21 cleo May 23, 2012 at 11:16 am

I love the videos, I think it’s great that you’re encouraging and trying to portray loving sibling relationships. It’s refreshing to see. And your children are adorable:)

22 Stephanie Precourt May 23, 2012 at 11:23 am

Gabrielle, my family is enjoying your videos so very much. Thank you!

23 Robyn D. May 23, 2012 at 11:24 am

So cute Gabby! I Love it! Tell your kids great job on the video:)

24 hayley May 23, 2012 at 11:28 am

Very sweet. They could try grating the cucumber, and leave strips of the skin on, to make it more visually interesting another time.

25 Lisa Campbell May 23, 2012 at 11:36 am

I’ve been watching the episodes with my 3 year old and we love them! She keeps asking for more, so keep them coming. Your kids are so perfect. I can hardly believe it. Thanks, Gabrielle!

26 Amy May 23, 2012 at 11:39 am

so much fun! I love tzadiki! I wish I could get my kids to eat it. they refuse. my children have no taste buds

27 Evanthia of merelymothers May 23, 2012 at 11:49 am

I love that you made tzadziki! My family is from Greece, so it’s a favorite in our house, but I’m always a little surprised to see other children enjoy it, too :)

28 jenny also May 23, 2012 at 11:53 am

Oscar wrestling with the garlic press is the best!!!

29 Summer May 23, 2012 at 12:25 pm

So cute! That’s because of the kids though – having worked in a Greek restaurant for over 3 years now, tzatziki (I’ve always seen it with a t, not a d?) sauce makes me want to gag. Everyone loves it though!

30 Paige May 23, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Love the recipe tutorial! It looks so easy and fun for kids. I can’t get over how much Maude looks like you in these videos! Thanks for sharing…

31 everton terrace May 23, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I think I would watch them read because they are simply delightful. Everything is just great. The illustrations, the music, their clothing (cute hair on the girls). The concentration on their faces while they are working is fun. I also like how the ingredients part goes slow enough that you can write it all down without stopping the video.
I want that red dress!

32 Workingberlinmum May 23, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Just joined the newsletter so looking forward to finding out about more videos. This one was lovely.

33 Franca Bollo May 23, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Love the illustrations.

34 Stephanie at rowHOMe May 23, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Yum! I always wanted to DIY tzatziki. Oscar has a tiny fan club over here…when he came on screen, my little girl says, “I like him, he’s funny.” Keep up the great work!

35 LP May 23, 2012 at 6:36 pm

So, do your kids eat the red onions, too?

36 Jill May 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm

so cute! I’m making it for my kids soon!

37 Yvonne May 23, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Adorable – loved the faces on the veggies, the colors, the music, the kids! Bravo!!

38 almamater May 23, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Darling! You don’t need me to point it out, but I can’t believe how much Maude looks like your sister Jordan!!

39 se7en May 24, 2012 at 1:14 am

Totally love it!!! We eat that on everything too – its cold down here so we are having it with lots of different curries!!! And my daughters all want that red dress so bad… Can we watch that again and again and again – followed by audible red dress sigh!!!

40 Kim May 24, 2012 at 6:15 am

Oh my, what cute kiddos. Maude looks EXACTLY like you and that little Oscar is a mini Ben Blair. Thanks for sharing. :)

41 alexis_gentry May 24, 2012 at 11:00 am

It was a hit with my kids. And there was no biting this time. :) (I must confess I supervised closely)

42 Christine May 24, 2012 at 11:39 am

This is so sweet! What a lovely family you have!

43 jen May 24, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Yummy! We often put some fresh dill in ours. I’ve never squeezed out our cucumbers…will have to try!

44 Janie May 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Oooh, this is just super cute! Love the music and the effect is has inside my mouth … I think I better have a look in the fridge right now!

Thank you again for coming to Berlin and being such an inspiration at THE HIVE!! In my head I have my dream blog all worked out now : )) I shall keep you posted!

With happiness from Berlin Xx Janie

45 Andrea May 24, 2012 at 3:34 pm

What a cute video! I can’t wait to try this recipe with my kids.

46 jweed May 24, 2012 at 6:28 pm

adorable, gabrielle. i LOVE the episodes. they seem to capture the essence of your family: beautiful fun.

47 Robin May 24, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Absolutely loving these olive us movies! So great. They’re a treat!

48 Jill May 27, 2012 at 4:00 pm

We loved this movie, my 2 year old daughter now wants to try making it, and we loved how beautiful the filming was (and the darling illustrations).

I also just watched the video with Ben talking about how you have tried to create good sibling relationships, it got me a little choked up even! What an amazing gift and inspiration. Thank you.

49 Amy Hackworth May 28, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Ah!! The cutest thing I’ve ever seen. This is so fun! Way to go, Blairs!

50 Ashley May 29, 2012 at 12:30 am

I love this! Thank you for putting together some wonderful videos and sharing your sweet children with us. My favorite part is that you are showing siblings enjoying one another and getting along together. <3

51 Sara May 30, 2012 at 12:05 am

We are fans! Made this tzatziki with my Georgia (almost 4) and it was a huge hit will all four kids! We just dipped sliced veggies in it and it was a perfect (healthy!) afternoon snack. Love the videos- keep ‘em coming! I agree with the comments above- my favorite part of Olive Us is seeing siblings getting along and working together.

52 Martha May 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm

i am totally making that right now. also, your kids could not be more adorable.