Heaven is Here

May 11, 2012

Need a last minute gift for Mother’s Day? I can’t recommend Stephanie’s Nielson’s book, Heaven Is Here, highly enough. Her story is so compelling, you will devour it, I swear!

It’s hard for me to imagine that there’s anyone who hasn’t heard of Nie Nie Dialogues — Stephanie’s story or her wonderful blog — but in case it’s new to you, here’s a recap: Stephanie, a young mother of 4, kept a charming and beautiful blog celebrating the joys of being a mother. Then one day, she and her husband were in a devastating plane crash that left her with burns over 80% of her body. I’m sure you can imagine, it was heart-breaking for everyone who knew Stephanie — including her blog readers, and we all kept reading faithfully for any updates or news.

Since 2008, she has slowly and miraculously recovered — and even had baby number 5! She continues to keep up her blog and it is still charming, beautiful and a celebration of the joy of motherhood. It’s one of my daily reads. So inspiring!

Heaven Is Here, is Stephanie’s recently published memoir. And it is seriously gripping. It will make you laugh and cry and it will make you want to be better. I hope you get a chance to read it!

Side note: I met Stephanie for the first time when she was a teenager, because Ben Blair grew up around the corner from Steph’s family. Small world! Stephanie and her sister, Courtney, were even some of my first guest bloggers on Design Mom.

P.S. — Don’t you love giving books as last-minute gifts? What are you giving your mom for Mother’s Day?

1 Kirsteen May 11, 2012 at 4:48 am

I read Stephanie’s blog too and I agree, it is so inspiring. So lovely to see their new little baby.

We’ve had Mother’s day here in the UK already, but we celebrated by inviting my Mum & family over for food, and I gave her a large painted metal heart to hang in her home – she collects them!

2 Adrienn May 11, 2012 at 5:47 am

I found her blog right before the accident. Now I watched a video where she speaks about the accident. I cried my eyes out at all the beauty and love she shows us.

3 Amy @Picture It May 11, 2012 at 9:13 am

Well, that made me cry like an idiot. Thanks for sharing. I can’t believe I hadn’t seen her blog before. I will definitely be following her now!

4 Meggan Hayes May 11, 2012 at 10:02 am

Best book, really.

5 Kate May 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I actually DID send my mother a book this year – because I could get free fast shipping and waited until the last minute to think of something. :) I sent her one of my favorite sweet books, one I re-read almost every summer. It’s called “The Lemon Jelly Cake” and it just makes me smile.

6 Dariela May 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm

What a great idea! I would love a book as a gift! And this one looks very very interesting!

7 Alysa May 11, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I completely devoured this one! Then blabbed about it on my review site. http://everead.blogspot.com/2012/05/heaven-is-here.html

So good! Days later and I’ve still got bits of it rolling around in my head.

8 Kate The Great May 14, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I still remember the charming and witty set of letters the two sisters posted o your blog. I giggled and gushed and was, honestly, a little shocked. How much we’ve grown.

9 Melia Winegar May 22, 2014 at 11:59 am

Can anyone tell me where I can find the book for free online?