Happy Memorial Day!

May 28, 2012

I snapped this photo on Saturday at the American Military Cemetery here in Normandy. We have visited the cemetery lots of times, but this weekend it was extra-special. An American flag and a French flag were placed on every single one of the 10,000+ graves. Visits to this sacred place are always emotional, but seeing all those flags waving in the ocean breeze brought on the waterworks.

I hope your Memorial Day weekend has been wonderful. Wishing you happy gatherings with friends and family! And hotdogs hot off the grill.

kisses,
Gabrielle

1 Jo(ke) May 28, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Love that picture. Proud to be part French (my dad is French). We’re going to Normandy for our honeymoon in a few weeks and I’m so excited. It’s so beautiful there. Can’t wait to be back!

2 Denise May 28, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Love this post. Love the photo. Love the Blairs.

3 Jennifer May 28, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Thank you for sharing this photo. My grandfather fought in WWII on the front lines moving through the Normandy area liberating the towns there. I just reread his war experiences yesterday and this photo brought tears to my eyes too. Thanks again!

4 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux May 29, 2012 at 12:16 am

Love the photo! Thanks for sharing and remembering those who fought! Hope you enjoyed your Memorial Day too!

5 Chellae May 29, 2012 at 5:10 am

What a beautiful picture. We were there a few years back for the 60th anniversary of D-day and I can hardly remember a time of such emotion seeing all the French and American flags and the sacrifice they represent. All the French people in the surrounding villages lined the streets waving little flags and calling out greetings. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful memory!

6 Karina Hotard May 29, 2012 at 7:50 am

Thanks for posting this beautiful picture. My grandfather was a French officer in WWII.

7 bec May 29, 2012 at 10:17 am

that’s very neat. thanks for showing this picture!

8 Jen Lyon May 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Such a great photo and post! Thank you for sharing!

9 shuvo din May 29, 2012 at 8:55 pm

A great post….thanks

10 Sarah May 30, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Thank you. I visited my uncle’s grave at the Lorraine American Cemetery a few years ago, just after Memorial Day. The caretaker there told us that a local girl scout troop (the French equivalent anyway) puts the flags up every year. It is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been, and knowing that the country continues to care for the soldiers that fought for them makes it even more beautiful.

11 juliagblair June 5, 2012 at 9:40 am

Love to see the French and American Flags flying together. We’ve been
together and have needed each other during many of the crucial turns of war and history! Glad we could help Napoleon out with the Louisiana Purchase!
I am deeply impressed that the French display their gratitude on Memorial Day. We were together.