Happy May Day!

May 1, 2012

Well, hello May!

Doing anything special today to celebrate? Maybe making some May Day baskets? In France, people celebrate this day by giving friends and loved ones little bouquets of Lily of the Valley for good luck.

P.S. — The photo was shot last year at this time. Do you like my shoes? They make me smile.

1 A French Education May 1, 2012 at 7:03 am

There’s a lot of history in those flowers! The custom of giving muguet to celebrate the arrival of springtime began in the 16th century. Happy first of May!!

2 susan May 1, 2012 at 7:14 am

I love the lily of the valley custom. I have so many in bloom right now when the kids come home that’s what we’ll do:)

3 Christa the BabbyMama May 1, 2012 at 7:36 am

Lily of the valley, eh? That’s the scourge of my yard! It’s practically pouring today, but maybe I’ll do a little arrangement during my lunch hour.

4 aimee @ smilingmama May 1, 2012 at 8:00 am

I had Lily of the Valley in my bridal bouquet (along with mini calla lilies, it was very simple!) and our 9th anniversary is on Thursday! A few years ago, my husband planted Lily of the Valley for me in our garden but with our very warm spring they bloomed a few weeks ago. I enjoyed every minute of them, though!!

5 Jill May 1, 2012 at 9:24 am

Great outfit, yes I love your shoes.

6 everton terrace May 1, 2012 at 9:45 am

Tomorrow is my wedding anniversary so May 1st seems to be forgotten as we celebrate the 2nd (in a small way but still). This year I’m feeling excited about May for some reason and posted a giveaway on my blog to celebrate. I don’t know what it is about this year but everything feels adventurous and full of promise.
You’ve inspired me to go get some flowers today :)

7 everton terrace May 1, 2012 at 9:45 am

PS – also loving those shoes!

8 Victoria May 1, 2012 at 10:01 am

yes I love those shoes and have been looking for my own pair since you originally posted this photo. where did you get them??

9 Sharon @ Discovering Blog May 1, 2012 at 10:09 am

I didn’t have plans, but my 6 year old was very happy to remind me that today is May 1st. I told him it was May Day, and that summer is on it’s way!
I planted some Lily of the Valley last month, so maybe next year I’ll have some pretty blooms.

10 My Name is Jacy May 1, 2012 at 11:04 am

LOVE THE SHOES G!

It’s rainy here, so Little Dude and I will be doing something fun indoors :)

YAY FOR MAY!

11 Gemma May 1, 2012 at 11:12 am

Definitely making some May Day baskets with my little one. Hope the weather is as lovely in France as is it in my part of the States right now. Happy Spring to you!

12 Chris May 1, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Love your shoes. Love the baskets of flowers…such a fun way to make someone feel special and thought of/cared for. I was stunned to learn (just a few years back ) that May Day was created by the Communists as a holiday from work. I still enjoy the extras we can do to celebrate the first day of May, but bummed by it’s origins. But back to the good stuff…your shoes pretty much rock! Your style is great!

13 {plum} May 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Ok, style star. That’s you!?!? I couldn’t scroll down fast enough to find the credit of the photo to add to my “style me gorgeous” board on Pinterest.

Mary McFadden pleats!
Deep delicious navy!
AND, adorable oxfords!

It’s just too much! If your top is blessed with a Peter Pan collar, I just may die. Hats off to you and your impeccable style.

best – d.

post script: …lily of the valley???? oh my. gorgeous.

14 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux May 1, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Happy May Day to you too. We enjoyed walking around a great park this afternoon. So nice to have a sunny day – (Finally!). Love the Lily of the Valley tradition here in France. The tradition of giving flowers seems to have been lost over time in the US…too bad. Hope you enjoyed your day also – and by the way – awesome shoes!

15 pepper May 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm

May Day is one of my all time favorite Holidays! (It’s my birthday!!!) So as a kid we sometimes would dance around the may pole and flowers have always been involved. I often put together may day baskets and the tradition is if you wash your face in cold water right as the sun is rising you will look a year younger in age. Such a beautiful holiday (also we sometimes make Hawaiian Lei’s… May 1′st is also Lei Day)

16 Erin | Holtwood Hipster May 1, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I looked at the calendar today and it made me remember that May Day I spent walking Paris 12 years ago… I was on a little solo adventure having gotten on a plane by myself to see the great city 3 days prior. I was trying to explain this French tradition to my husband today. I’ll show him the photo in your post. Lovely!

17 Aprilette May 1, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Love the flowers and your shoes too! Well this May, it would be great to go the beach with the whole family! May is a great month for families to bond and spend time with each other!

18 Recycled Designer Clothing May 3, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Happy month of May to you! I love those flowers, so refreshing and beautiful. May is a great month to celebrate love, nature and family relationships!

P.S. Love your shoes too!