Dorothee Schumacher

May 10, 2012

Bringing the outside in is a highly-used decorating concept and has been for ages, but designer Dorothee Schumacher takes it to a whole new and über cool level. It helps to have a sun room that looks more like a greenhouse. : )

Originally, I wanted to ask you about plants: how many you have in your home and which ones bring you the most happiness and which ones survive even the blackest of thumbs. But, honestly? I really want to talk about Dorothee’s miniature horse! Now that is bringing the outside in!

Do you have pets? Are they allowed in the house? On the furniture? Kitchen counter-tops? In your bed? Tell me everything! I’m so curious!

More of Dorothee’s home on The Selby.

1 susan May 10, 2012 at 5:42 am

We have a dachshund, Max the Wonder Dog, who thinks he is an inside dog. He spends his days underfoot begging for food……….he’s on a diet!

2 Kate May 10, 2012 at 5:49 am

My 9 year-old son wants a bird. Well, he did until I told him how much it would cost and informed him that he would have to pay and care for it – and keep his room clean for several months before we got it to prove he could be responsible for something. He quickly made himself a Lego budgie and is quite content with that. :)

3 Emily @ Peck Life May 10, 2012 at 8:43 am

Oh my goodness, I would LOVE to have a mini-pony like that and let it come inside! And a llama….and a ton of huge dogs…but the reality is we just have a little dog (20ish pounds) and she’s inside all the time. Maybe when we get our huge farm house someday. :)

4 Dee May 10, 2012 at 9:08 am

A pony?! We have indoor plants and indoor pets. I keep succulents on my kitchen window sill and we have a small dog (silky terrier) and a betta. The dog is allowed on the furniture. The fish isn’t. ;-)

5 greyson briere May 10, 2012 at 9:15 am

Plants: Jade, orchids, weeping jew, and other dangly plants. All fairly easy as long as you don’t water too much! I love the green inside. Makes the air richer and brightens any room!
Animals: A 4 almost 5 year old daughter, 3 dogs and two cats. All allowed inside, one dog sleeps under the covers with us, the other two, by the bed. The cats sleep on top of the comforter. The child sneaks in the middle! I love the warmth and love that radiates from our child and animals. Plus the mutual, genuine companionship between them all.
Adding chickens and bees to the lot within the year. All outdoors only! :)
LOVE the mini horse!

6 bdaiss May 10, 2012 at 9:15 am

Wow! A horse! In the house! That’s probably beyond my limit of tolerance…although I would love a Great Dane, so maybe not. : )

We have 2 cats right now. At one point we had 4….that was a bit much. The hubby would prefer we have no cats. But he’s a scrooge when it comes to pets. The kids and I really want a dog, but he’s put his foot down and said no. Since I travel so much and he’d be stuck on dog duty, I haven’t pushed it. On a side note: all our cats are black and have been since I was in college.

And one is currently driving us batty constantly getting on the kitchen counter. She’s been chucked across the room a bit lately trying to get the message across. (No fear: we’d never hurt her. She’s always sent feet down and since our kitchen is open concept she never comes close to hitting anything on her flight. It’s just an extra emphasis on the “GET DOWN!” Tin foil won’t even deter her lately. Little stinker.)

As for plants…I always have a few pots of herbs, my two orchids (currently blooming!), a spider plant, and a few other hardy fellows in the house. I’ve cut back significantly in recent years though. When I moved to South Dakota back in 2001 I brought 30 plants with me! Including a ficus tree and a large jade plant. Yikes! Of course now I have a yard to deal with, so I spend more focus there than inside.

7 CMN May 10, 2012 at 9:30 am

I’m pretty sure every home needs a miniature horse, don’t you think?

Do you remember the 1970s Pippi Longstocking movies? Horse, monkey, a cookie jar full of gold coins… I’m pretty sure I dreamed of being Pippi. (Though somehow, sleeping wrong-way-round in bed was a little too difficult to manage.)

8 Melissa de la Fuente May 10, 2012 at 10:14 am

omg…love it and LOVE that she lets her mini horse in. SO sweet! We have two dogs and they are allowed everywhere. They are part of our family and wouldn’t have it any other way! :)
xo
Melis

9 craftyashley May 10, 2012 at 10:37 am

Wow- a horse! We have two tiny little dogs, and they are only allowed downstairs. They usually lounge the day away on the sofa, or curled under a throw blanket. If left to their own devices, they would wander upstairs and “mark” (ie: pee!) every single possession the kids have up there. They are very vengeful little dogs. Thank goodness for wipable wood floors.

10 Anna May 10, 2012 at 12:38 pm

we have 2 indoor dogs, 3 indoor cats, and 2 outdoor cats. currently, we are working on getting a coop ready for chickens and ducks. i only have a few indoor plants because the indoor cats are naughty. my outdoor gardens make up for it, though.

11 becky May 10, 2012 at 3:15 pm

you can photograph anything…but really, does it pass the scratch and sniff test? i love animal people and grew up with animals in and out of the house – but there is a limit. when things get smelly and people don’t want to sit anywhere for long – you’ve failed. plus, is there a diaper on that miniature horse – cause if i was visiting, i’d be checking where i was walking the entire time. (horses don’t smell good inside – they’re meant to upwind…with lots of sun and breeze and grass. but again, to each his own. people don’t like to sit on my couch because it’s too modern and not “scooshy” enough – and i don’t like to sit on their couch – because i smell pee and something just gave birth on my foot – the one in open toed sandals. again, his own, his own, his own. :)

12 Lynelaine May 10, 2012 at 3:36 pm

We have a 105 pound fox-red Lab named Timmy that we allow in the family room, the area that we live in most. He’s the first of 3 dogs that we have contained at all, mainly because he eats the darndest things and surgical removal is so scarey and expensive. He’s 2, and just like most 2-year-olds, he needs limits set for him for his own safety. However, I think having a dog live with the family is alot like why you don’t isolate kids: close proximity is how they learn the rules of the household and how they learn language and love. Our dogs have always had wonderful personalities because we raise them much like our kids. Timmy surprised us the other night with how much a dog can learn: we had the patio door open so he could come and go as he pleased. At one point, he decided to go for an impromptu swim, unbeknownst to us. We heard him scratching at the door and wondered why he didn’t just come in, as the door was open. When we checked on him, we realized that he was following the house rule of not coming inside until you’ve been dried off!

13 Christa the BabbyMama May 10, 2012 at 4:12 pm

We have five cats, all of whom joined our family pre-kids. And they now all live in our spacious finished basement because one of the little *ahem* darlings decided after two and a half years of living with a child to start using her play kitchen as a potty. Oh, and then he sprayed my husband and I. That was the last straw. I feel bad that the four good cats have to be locked up but the litter pans are down there and there’s no space for them on the first or second floors. I don’t, however, feel bad for enjoying the hair-freeness of the human-only living spaces.

14 Abby K May 10, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Neat! I’ve heard of a miniature horse being used as a service animal for the blind. However, I have never heard of one just being an indoor pet!

I always swore I would never have an indoor animal because of the shedding but my husband grew up always having them so I caved. We decided against a dog because we’re apartment dwellers but we wanted a cat with a dog-like personality. So we rescued a Bengal cat named Roxy. I can’t believe what a positive difference she has made in our lives and I’ve never felt this close to an animal. The shedding doesn’t bother me a bit thanks to Swiffer dusters. Roxy has full run of the house except for the kitchen counters and it was surprisingly easy to train her not to jump on them. For anyone who is on the fence about indoor animals I would highly suggest getting one or better yet rescuing one!