Design Mom Asks: Favorite Features

May 3, 2012

What do you see when you look in the mirror every morning? Some days the reflection is better than others, isn’t it? My mirror tells me how much sleep I’ve gotten, whether I’ve been drinking enough water, and even how happy I’m feeling! I’d love to know all about your favorite physical feature — the one you celebrate even when your skinny jeans are feeling a little too skinny, or your hair is misbehaving no matter how many times you brush it! Let’s get our conversation started with four new friends and their most loved beauty marks.

Carrie of Natural Moms Talk Radio:
I suppose it would be my eyes. They’re the thing that I seem to be famous for. My kids say I can be really intimidating when I give them “the look,” but at other times they actually make me look rather innocent! One of my deserted island beauty picks would be an eyelash curler. I never leave the house without curling my eyelashes!

Mackenzie of Pint-Sized Mama:
I’ve always loved my long eyelashes. People often mistake them for false eyelashes, and I don’t mind having to correct them! I love that one swipe of mascara instantly makes me feel feminine. As a new mom, the length and volume of my eyelashes help to hide my tired eyes, which seem to always need disguising.

Lauren of Plumfield Shop:
The physical feature that never lets me down is my eyes. They are large and brown and, no matter what I’m wearing or what my hair looks like, they always look great! I don’t even wear eye makeup because I love the way my eyes look naturally. It’s fun to look back at pictures of myself through the years and see how my eyes remain the same. They are the constant on my face that makes me look like myself.

I associate brown eyes with kindness and intelligence — two things that I hope others see in my eyes. Non-verbal communication and eye contact are so important to me, and I value my eyes all the more for helping me express myself.

Because I have dark brown hair and eyes (so different from his blond and blue), my husband calls me “Brownie.” I love it. He says he knew he wanted to marry me just by seeing my eyes. So, while I’ve always been partial to my eyes, now I appreciate them even more for helping me land the man of my dreams!

Lucy of Lucy Mitchell’s Diary:
I think I would have to say my hands. They are the only parts of my body I have not spent hours inspecting in a mirror! Not once have I looked at them from ten different angles and then sighed, never have I complained about them over coffee with friends. Yes, I like my hands.

—-

Thank you, ladies! I love finding beauty — especially in the mirror and on Design Mom! It’s your turn, Friends: Do your eyes search for your flaws, or race straight to all of your favorite features? Tell us all about every part of you that you adore!

Photo of Jayne Mansfield by Bert Stern found here.

P.S. — You can catch all of our Design Mom Asks conversations right here! If you’d like to participate in the next one, drop me a note. I’d love to hear from you!

1 Kate May 3, 2012 at 6:32 am

Love this conversation!

I have to say, as a young adult right now, I’ve grown up in an age where beauty in skewed and people are so focused on their flaws and how they can make themselves look more “beautiful”. People so often forget to find the beauty in themselves!

On a person search for re-defining beauty, I recently shaved my head and I have never felt more beautiful. I feel like people look past my “reigning beauty” and straight at my face now. It gives the moment to hit them with what I think is the most beautiful part of me– my smile. :)

2 Maria Ortiz-Cintron May 3, 2012 at 6:46 am

Definitely, my eyes. They say the eyes are the windows to the soul, and I find that there is a lot of truth to that. Our eyes betray us when we say “we’re fine”, but we’re not, they also outlandishly advertise our joy and contentment when we are happy. They look down trodden when we’re sick or sad, and they stand at attention when we are worried or angry. My eyes speak, they are quite expressive, and they have plenty to say, with or without my consent, my eyes tell their story.

3 teresa May 3, 2012 at 7:29 am

Right now I’m at the age where I’m beginning to see my Mother when I look in the mirror. …. =) at least at quick glance. Which is kind of weird to me because my whole life people would ask me if I was adopted….because I look way different than my parents and sibling….Their short, I’m tall etc. But as I age I can see them in me….sweet.
If I had to pick a favorite feature….it would be my eyes….because they have been pretty much the same all my life….I like that I have one thing on my body that doesn’t change sizes =)
Kind of like a really good old friend….they’ve been there through it all…just getting a little wiser….crows feet and all.
Have a wonderful day

4 aimee @ smilingmama May 3, 2012 at 8:17 am

My smile :) I’ve gotten compliments on it my entire life. Even perfect strangers comment about my beautiful smile. Honestly, I think it’s just because I smile a lot and most people don’t smile enough.

My mom says that she didn’t smile much as a child and young adult and because she has a small mouth, people were always asking her what was wrong. So, when I was born she made a very conscious effort to smile at me all the time. I’d say it worked because I do smile all the time!

As you can see, I even named my blog Smiling Mama!

5 Barchbo May 3, 2012 at 8:24 am

These days I really love my skin – I am 5 1/2 months pregnant and the fat is filling in all of my wrinkles! Cheers to that! :)

6 Trina {Beginner Beans} May 3, 2012 at 8:40 am

What a fun way to start thinking positively :) I can’t believe I’m going to say this but it would have to be my hair. It’s the one part of me that’s unique (read: thick, curly and crazy) and gets compliments even when I’m feeling like it’s frizzy and uncontrollable. I try to remember this when I look in the mirror and get tempted to throw my hair in a bun–many people would kill for the crazy hair I deal with everyday.

7 Sandy May 3, 2012 at 8:43 am

My smile/teeth. I have perfectly straight teeth that are the envy of all my friends who spent years in braces, and I’ve actually had a hard time convincing strangers that no, I’ve never had them.

8 Nora Ballantyne May 3, 2012 at 8:58 am

I love hearing all of these women say what they love about themselves. It doesn’t happen enough in our world, so THANK YOU, Gabrielle, for starting this conversation! I love my face, even when there’s a big zit on it or when I feel my nose is just too long. I value my face most because it’s the means by which I interact with all the people I love.

9 Anne May 3, 2012 at 9:24 am

I’d also have to say my eyes…funny how that seems to be everyone’s favorite feature about herself. It’s my favorite feature of all my loved ones, too. I don’t think I’ve ever looked into the eyes of someone who I cared about and *not* thought those eyes were beautiful.

10 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux May 3, 2012 at 9:51 am

I too have to say eyes. It’s my favorite feature as I am lucky enough to have long eye lashes – so I can be natural most of the time with no mascara. I’m happy also that all three of my girls inherited my eye lashes. I love to look at the color of people’s eyes. So many different color combinations and so beautiful at the same time.

11 Andrea May 3, 2012 at 10:48 am

My shoulders and neck, as strange as it sounds. When I’m showing them off in the summer or on an evening date, I feel extra beautiful!

12 Kelly May 3, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I love my lips…my husband was attracted to what he called my “sexy snarl,” and they’re nice and naturally full. (But I can tell, over 40, that they’re just a little thinner now.) And I can’t leave the house with them bare…even a swipe of clear gloss makes me feel more put-together.

13 Lori B May 3, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I’d have to say my eyes as well! I don’t wear makeup (just like Lauren), but still get compliments all of the time on how big and beautiful my eyes are. They’re also a very unusual colour- most days they’re green, which startles people a little. They can look blue or grey as well, depending on what colour I’m wearing. My husband likes to tell people that after all of our years together he still doesn’t know what colour my eyes are unless he looks at me ;)

14 jenny also May 3, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Definitely my long, curly, crazy hair! After a major struggle in middle school and high school (That poodle cut was awful!!!) where it seemed all the “pretty girls” had stick straight, long blond hair, I grew it out and learned to embrace it. I have become a strict follower of the “curly girl” philosophy and love to treat myself to 1 really expensive haircut each year that the Devachan salon in NYC. It’s a point of weird of pride for me that I have never straightened, flat ironed, or dyed my hair. And my husband loves it too!

15 Sharon @ Discovering blog May 3, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Hmmmm. Hmmmm. This is really making me think.
I will say it’s my lips. I have fairly large lips – not oversized, but large enough that black guys used to ask me if I was mixed, because my hair is curly and my lips are large. I always took that as a compliment (that would be so much more interesting than just being a boring mix of Irish & Italian).

My mom has thin lips, and as soon as she puts on lipstick, it is almost hidden. I’m glad that I have something to show off gloss or lipstick when I get around to applying it!

16 Fannie@ribigadventure May 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm

My thick, curly hair and my curves! I like being a curvy girl. I may have a little extra junk in the trunk, but hey, I can really rock a pair of good jeans.

I have some days where I don’t find myself as attractive, but my husband regularly gives me complements and he doesn’t care whether I’m carrying a few extra pounds or not. My husband has been really good for my self esteem, even if I don’t feel beautiful, he tells me I am. It helps me when I’m looking in the mirror and don’t feel so great or when I’m out and about seeing women who may wear a smaller pants size than me. I know that he sees me as beautiful – so I try to not belittle myself by comparing myself to other women.

17 Tania May 3, 2012 at 4:04 pm

What a beautiful post.
It is easy to criticize your own flaws, but it does so much good to remember the good things from time to time. I have a functional pair of everything there should be two of. And that’s definitely worthy of celebration. :)
I think my hips are definitely something in me I like. They’re just the right size. Oh, and my eyebrows! I love my eyebrows, as weird as it sounds.

18 Kellie May 3, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I love the color of my hair! It’s strawberry blonde with natural highlights that are always there, but best in the summertime when I see the sunshine! Whenever I get my hair cut, the ladies always ask if I highlight my hair, and I tell them no, it’s natural!

19 Celeste May 3, 2012 at 6:27 pm

My eyebrows. They take a bit of work to keep up, but they’re very forgiving if I misstep with the tweezers. They’re dark, thick and shiny. When I keep them shaped, they frame my face and exaggerate my eyes.

20 Mimi May 3, 2012 at 7:51 pm

This is a great post! I would say my smile. I have some big white teeth and one dimple. I’ve always been told I have a nice smile :)

21 My Name is Jacy May 3, 2012 at 8:16 pm

This is a great post G! In fact, I just today wrote about my expensive and time consuming mission to become sexy (a few years back, after my husbands infidelity)…. and I discovered that it had nothing to do with my outward appearance, but everything to do with my confidence and love for myself.

My favorite outside part of me I think is the tracheotomy scar on my neck; because it reminds me of the MIRACLE it is that I am alive! :) I wear it with pride… I love it :)

Perfect day for you to post this…. thank you! :)

22 Gemma May 3, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Wonderful post. I would have to say I love my hair. It’s got so much volume and it grows quickly so I’m never afraid to try a daring new style. Also, I’ve always been fond of my legs, especially when I get in the groove of running regularly. They’re short but powerful! :)

23 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag May 4, 2012 at 10:22 am

Yay all of us! Love all the love!

I like my hair. It’s wavy and crazy, and I’ve often wished it would either be really curly or really straight, but I would miss my fluff it were gone. I like being able to tell the weather and relative humidity by what my hair is doing. :)

24 jo holley May 22, 2012 at 3:10 pm

i know i’m late in commenting, but all these women being so positive about themselves made me want to be positive!

i’m proud of my collarbones, as weird as that sounds. they aren’t protruding, but they make me feel more beautiful and poised when i show them off in a low-cut top.

i also love my darkbrown mousy hair- i’ve never dyed it and i’m so glad i didn’t give in to that temptation when i was younger!