A Few Things

May 25, 2012

Hello, Friends! Can you believe we’ve reached Memorial day? The warm weather has arrived in my part of the world all of a sudden. On Sunday, I was in a turtleneck, and yesterday the kids went through 37 popsicles. Feels good! Monday isn’t Memorial Day in France, but it happens to be another holiday here, so school is out, stores will be closed and we are looking forward to the 3-day break. We are thinking of making a visit to the Loire Valley — it’s only 2 hours away. Do you have a long weekend in front of you too? Any fun plans?

While we soak up the sudden sun, here are a few things you might enjoy:

- The colors in this photo.
- Bookcase of the day.
- Pick a color, any color, for your front door.
- Bubblegum installation.
- Say Media did a longish interview of me, in case you’d like to see.
- Summer whites — and 12 ways to wear them!
- Plus, more Babble posts here.

I hope you have an amazing weekend! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

kisses,
Gabrielle

P.S. — The images are scenes from my week. See more on instagram — I’m gabrielle_designmom.

1 Mary A. May 25, 2012 at 9:35 am

Gabrielle,
I just did a front porch make over inspired largely by DesignMom! I painted my door Tangerine Dream and installed house numbers from customhousenumber.com. So, thanks for being such a great source of creativity!
Mary

2 Design Mom May 25, 2012 at 9:42 am

That’s fantastic, Mary! Yay for tangerine dream.

3 Jen @ Family Sponge May 25, 2012 at 9:39 am

I love three-day weekends! We are actually visiting our family and friends in Los Angeles right now and will be having a BBQ on Memorial Day. Sure there will be a slip and slide and lots of kids around, which always makes me happy.

4 Design Mom May 25, 2012 at 9:43 am

Oh man. I love seeing my kids on the slip and slide. Have fun!

5 Jennifer F. - American Mom in Bordeaux May 25, 2012 at 9:39 am

Thanks…love your “Whites – 12 ways to wear them” and the interview was nicely done. I am really enjoying your blog. It’s so fun to read and I love your passion about life and family! I look forward to your posts each day!

6 Design Mom May 25, 2012 at 9:43 am

Thank you for the kind words, Jennifer! Made me smile.

7 Morgan (The818) May 25, 2012 at 9:51 am

Oh that frosting just made my weekend plans more interesting!

8 Mary De Bastos May 25, 2012 at 9:52 am

It isn’t a holiday in Scotland either, but my husband has off so we’ll be celebrating Memorial Day with a trip to the beach! The water will be way too cold to get in, but we’ll be enjoying ourselves just the same. Summer finally came to the UK!!

9 Elina Brown May 25, 2012 at 10:19 am

So, if you go the Loire Valley, stop in at Chenonceau, my favorite of the Chateaus. It is beautiful! It is privately maintained and the inside is lovely. Its setting on the river is beautiful as well. There is also a small shop on the grounds which I loved. They sell products made from the preserved roses from their gardens. I bought something made from the red roses and they still look perfect!

It has been 10 years, so I hope this is all still good information…

10 Alberta May 25, 2012 at 11:04 am

Sorry this is off topic, and sort of a strange request, but I’m looking for a website for kids you blogged about years ago (maybe 2007?). I don’t remember the name of it, just that there was a red bird and I think it was French. It was so cute! I’ve been looking through your archives and haven’t found it yet. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

11 The New Diplomats Wife May 25, 2012 at 11:10 am

Enjoy and bon weekend! pack good picnics for the loire -restaurants are sometimes hard to come by but cheese, esp goat, and baguettes are not and lots of scenic places (including on the banks of the actual loire). hit up chambord and chenonceau and a bike ride ;) have a great time!

12 Valerie (all mussed up) May 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I loved your longish interview — I’m just a baby blogger but I’d love to be at the Alt Summit someday. Pourquoi pas? (:

13 Corinne May 25, 2012 at 1:35 pm

You are really amazing! I don’t know how you do it all. We lived in England for two years and it was a life changing experience. Love to do it again some time. I know you’re busy, if you get a minute, check out my motherhood project:

14 Chrissie May 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Here in Ghana, we have a long weekend too! African Union Day here, and perhaps in other countries in Africa too. I think its great you are travelling so much during your time in France. We are travelling as much as we can too while in West Africa. You have a great blog.

15 susan May 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I’m driving 300 miles to have dinner with 9 girlfriends. So worth it. I will be home in time for the Blue Ash Memorial Day parade. Kids, neighbors and friends in the parade and along the route. We will remember friends and family that gave their lives for our freedom………..

16 Laura Lee May 25, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I want to highly recommend to Ralph (et al) the Mr. Hulot films of Jacques Tati. Funny, family friendly, stylish & well made. Personal favorite: M. Hulot’s Holiday. The theme music alone will amuse! :)

17 Irena May 26, 2012 at 6:57 am

hahahahaa, I JUST painted our door red, and after I washed myself, I said I am going to relax a bit and opened your blog and saw this tip for paintig the door… For 30 years they were black and today they became red :)
btw. I love yor blog. Wishing you a nice weekend, Irena from Slovenia.

18 PinonCoffee May 27, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I’m liking all your summer whites outfits – every one! I’ve got a picnic this evening, so I might just need to go change for it. :-)

19 kelleyn May 27, 2012 at 3:24 pm

In Germany it is a holiday too! We went to Prague and I thought of you and how you would love the city. The Architechture is amazing. The infiltration of American fast food restaurants not so lovely, but next to Venice it has to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

20 sarah b-d May 28, 2012 at 6:03 am

Have just taken my four kids on an impromptu long weekend – we visited my best friend from highschool’s home in the country. I got to talk and laugh with her about new and old times (twenty years since highschool!) and my kids forgot their city shyness and joined her country kids in running wild! It was a fabulous time for all of us, so glad we did it (and I blogged about it: http://www.lovedecorateletters@blogspot.com.au).
You’re an inspiration Gabrielle – thank you!

21 sarah jane May 28, 2012 at 9:41 am

those colorful front doors are BRILLIANT! We’ve been planning to paint ours for two years now. Thanks for the inspiration!

http://lulainlondon.com (everything 60%off now!)

22 Marie-Ève May 29, 2012 at 1:00 pm

FYI, the Holiday in France was the Catholic tradition of Pentecost. Its actual date varies from year to year, since it’s celebrated 50 days after Easter.