A Few Things

May 18, 2012

Hello, Friends. Greetings from Berlin! I arrived about an hour ago and checked in to this incredibly charming apartment (see above and below). It’s so lovely and peaceful here, that I thought it would be fun to sit down and write up a blog post. : )

This weekend trip to Germany is for a conference — tomorrow I’ll be speaking at The Hive. My topic is: The Business of Blogging, and I’m really looking forward to it! In fact, I need to work on my presentation right this minute. But while I do, here are a few things you might find interesting:

- Hah! To make art, change the dimensions.
- Paint dipped.
- Dreamy outdoor showers.
- What kids really want from their parents.
- Concrete business cards (on tiny wooden pallets!).
- Hey you Portuguese speakers, check out this article about Design Mom in a Brazilian magazine.
- Speaking of statement necklaces

I also write for Babble. Here are this week’s posts:
- Burlap is awesome.
- Calling all bike lovers!
- A neat new line of baby products from Barcelona.
- Turn a mason jar into a travel mug.
- Found your summer bag yet? Here are 15 I love!

I hope you have an fabulous weekend. It’s supposed to be a warm and sunny 80 degrees here in Berlin. I hope you have lovely weather as well! I’ll meet you back here on Monday. I miss you already.

P.S. — Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the encouragement and enthusiasm for Olive Us. I can’t wait to share the next episode with you! And thank you also for the sincere and thoughtful comments in the discussion about spacing kids. You guys never cease to amaze me!

1 Sandra Gonzales May 18, 2012 at 10:20 am

Love the green ladder!
What ever happened to all your different colored rocking chairs?

2 Design Mom May 21, 2012 at 4:18 am

Hi Sandra! They are in storage in Colorado. They house we’re renting here in France is fully furnished. All we brought were clothes!

3 Melissa@Julia's Bookbag May 18, 2012 at 10:50 am

That ‘Hands Free’ article was pure brilliance. Thanks so much for sharing that on your list!!! Loved every bit of it. Sharing. Pinning. xo

4 artfulife May 18, 2012 at 11:23 am

Thanks for the link to the Cuppow. I just ordered one. We drink from Mason Jars & have almost no plastic cups. If it works as well as I think it will I’ll order one for all of the kids too :)

5 Design Mom May 21, 2012 at 4:18 am

So glad you’re trying it out. I haven’t yet. I hope you’ll let us know if it’s great!

6 Gabriel Lopez May 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I love the flat. Very charming. Thanks for sharing! We’re using Airbnb next week in Madrid and also Paris the following week? Which site do you prefer 9 Flats or Airbnb?

7 Design Mom May 21, 2012 at 4:14 am

Hi Gabriel! This was my first time in a 9 Flats apartment and it was lovely. 9 Flats was actually one of the sponsors of the conference I attended in Berlin so they arranged this for me — I can’t take credit for finding it on my own. : )

For me, whether I’m using 9 Flats or Airbnb, it’s all about the actual apartment. Some apartments are great, others are not so great. I would look on both sites until you find the perfect place!

8 Audrey Moore May 18, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Gabby while you’re in Berlin you have to see this typography museum full of neon signage letters from all over Berlin. Its so neat to see what was preserved over the decades considering what that city went through. Its only open from 1-3 just off the Alexanderplatz stop, so I hope it can work with your schedule! If you go to this website on chrome it will translate to english for you. Oooooo I hope you love Berlin!

9 Amanda May 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm

You do have Portuguese speakers reading your blog … so congrats about the article!!! :-)

10 Design Mom May 21, 2012 at 4:17 am

Yay for Portuguese speakers!

11 alexis_gentry May 18, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Knock ‘em dead, girlie! ;)

12 susan May 19, 2012 at 6:31 am

I would love to hear you speak. When are you coming to Cincinnati:) I love the apartment. Thanks for showing us.

13 Maike May 19, 2012 at 7:29 am

you are here! how lovely.
i checked your blog just by accident today and saw the picture above that made me feel home. no coincidence, since it’s from my hometown. :-)
we saved the best weather just for you (it was freezing until yesterday) and i wish you the best time. Berlin has so much to offer, just enjoy.
funny: i was gardening on the balcony all morning with my daughter while i kept thinking of the first episode of ‘olive us’.

14 Design Mom May 21, 2012 at 4:19 am

The weather was amazing! I could have walked around the city all day long.

15 Patricia May 19, 2012 at 11:46 am

I loved your speech today and your shoes :D! You can be very proud of everything you reached.

Patricia (The girl with the skirt you liked ;-))

16 Jessica at 11 Gray May 19, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Just read about your blog in Mom, Inc. I am in love. I have been a blogger for about 3 years now (originally at http://www.lavenderandlilies.blogspot.com and now at http://www.11gray.com) and I cannot believe I lived without you!

17 juliagblair May 20, 2012 at 7:03 am

Berlin! Oh, my goodness, how wonderful! Enjoy and rest.
We’re cheering! We’d love to hear your speech! Hugs!

18 Nikki May 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm

thanks for the link to ‘what kids really want’ such a great reminder and I love the way Rachel at Hands Free Mama involves her children so well in the day to day running of the house so that she then has more time to do fun stuff with them. A win win.

19 Lindsey May 21, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I loved finally getting to meet you! I only wish we had more time to chat. Looks like all of us ended up with brilliant apartments! xx

20 macarena May 21, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Gabrielle, I tried to read the “what kids really want from their parents”but the web page doesn’t exist anymore :( can you send other url pls? How was Berlin? xx from guatemala

21 Andrea @ Our Little Gems May 21, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Great Portuguese article! I loved reading about you in Portuguese and even learned a new word in the process, blogueira. This word cracks me up to no end, and I’m not sure why. It’s just the feminine form of blogger – but man, it’s funny. Language certainly evolves and adapts.

Thanks for sharing, and I’m soooooo looking forward to your book!

22 หินอ่อนแกรนิต October 11, 2014 at 5:37 am

What’s up, after reading this remarkable article i am as well delighted to share my familiarity here with colleagues.