The Fremont Bike by Ziba

April 26, 2012

This bike, called The Fremont, has an interesting story. But really, I’m just charmed by its looks. The collapsible “sidecar” and canvas bag? Genius! It’s fun just imagining what I might tote around in a bag like that.

P.S. — Last year we were in Amsterdam about now, trying out bakfiets — bicycles with cargo areas that kids can ride in. They were challenging for me to balance! Have you ever tried a cargo bike of any kind?

1 Jillian In Italy April 26, 2012 at 4:13 am

Oh I love bakfiets bikes! But I agree with you about them being hard to balance at the beginning.

Here’s another bike that would be fabulous to own…and I’m guessing even more difficult to balance!

2 Vera April 26, 2012 at 5:29 am

Looks great, but yeah, i’d have trouble balancing. But this is the perfect solution for ladies who want to bike to work – there’s room for all the stuff we need! :)

3 Helen April 26, 2012 at 5:44 am

I just bought a Schwinn adult tricycle. It has a huge cargo basket and I mounted a dutch child seat (by Bobike) to the front. It’s awesome! It stands on it’s own, so no trouble balancing. I can grocery shop and tote along as much baby gear (and the baby) as I need!

4 Vivi April 26, 2012 at 10:09 am

Have you seen the Madsen Bikes http://www.madsencycles.com/ . I would love to get one.

5 Amy Thompson April 26, 2012 at 10:15 am

Thanks for featuring this! I used to work at Ziba and love seeing what they’re up to! They are an amazing company full of incredible ideas and people.

6 Amy April 26, 2012 at 11:43 am

thats an awesome bike. It would come in handy during farmers market season. plus, I’m sure my boys would love to climb into that sidecar.

7 Granola Girl April 26, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I totally adore this bike and love the idea, however, I know myself, very shortly after purchasing I would crash the cute sidecar into something. In the process I would destroy the bike, injure myself drastically, and probably maim someone elses personal property.

My husband is snickering in the background because he also knows this to be true :)

8 Olga May 5, 2012 at 12:06 pm

This is the cargo bike I would have loved to have gotten while living in Denmark.

It looks so great, and fun.

9 Antorne M August 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm

nice bike, oh the things that Id never use the cargo hold for ..

10 mandy smith April 25, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Please can you tell me the cost of this bicycle ? Where I can buy one in Great Britain and if not where from and shipping costs?

11 Jonas October 15, 2013 at 4:29 am

Have you seen the Xtracycle Sidecar yet? http://www.xtracycle.com/sidecar.html

I love my Xtracycle to death and have transported anything and everything with it, regularly including my wife and two kids. Haven’t found an excuse to buy the sidecar yet but will at the slightest provocation…