The Best Job in the World

April 23, 2012

Something super sweet to start your week:

Ben Blair sent me this commercial and I had such an emotional response to it. Something about that universal parenting experience of waking up a sleepy child to start a new day, of feeding and clothing your children — and the idea that it’s happening all over the world. Oh man! I’m tearing up just thinking about how much of the human experience we share in common. Such a well done video!

P.S. — My dad was a big-time Olympics fan and raised his kids to be fans as well. I’m so excited for the London games this summer! You too?

1 Ceri April 23, 2012 at 4:27 am

YES!!!! And we have tickets. Athletics no less. Beyond excited.

2 Design Mom April 23, 2012 at 6:35 am

So lucky! I hope you have the best time ever!!

3 Jennifer April 23, 2012 at 4:30 am

That was beautiful.

4 Lori H April 23, 2012 at 4:53 am

Beautiful video. I am looking forward to the London Olympics, especially for any royal sitings! The newlyweds, not the Queen so much :)

5 susan April 23, 2012 at 5:00 am

Tears streaming down my face. Loved it!

6 Design Mom April 23, 2012 at 6:35 am

I should have suggested that readers keep some tissues nearby. : )

7 SEC April 23, 2012 at 5:01 am

I absolutely LOVE the Olympics. I remember watching the torch relay for the ’84 LA Olympics, and can’t wait to take my kids to see the torch come through Cambridge in July! And we have tickets to see Archery at Lords Cricket Ground!!

8 Design Mom April 23, 2012 at 6:37 am

Oh man. I would LOVE to see archery!! How fun to have that to look forward to!

9 Anna April 23, 2012 at 5:03 am

When I saw this video, I was sad that there were no dads to be seen (or at least they were absolutely not in focus). And I thought it was annoying
that the moms only do the stereotypical “Mom-things” (cleaning, feeding, washing…), but this fitted in with the sponsors, of course. I have to admit, on the one hand I was very moved, but still, on the other hand it left a little bitter feeling.

10 Design Mom April 23, 2012 at 6:43 am

I hear you. Ben Blair is such an equal partner in the parenting at our house that I always wish videos like this showed more dads.

11 Giulia April 23, 2012 at 7:57 am

I had the same feeling – where are the dads? My husband is such a big part of the everyday child raising that I could not think him out of the picture. While this video is moving and wonderfully executed, I also had thoughts about Tiger Moms – some of those kids are so young and being pushed towards athletic greatness at an age where they don’t necessarily make decisions on their own. I know that’s most likely how they become Olympians – first pushed by their parents and then they keeping pushing on their own.

12 Gayletrini April 23, 2012 at 8:35 am

I agree that it would have been great to see the presence of the Dads but I suspect that this commercial was designed to tie in with Mother’s day which is a few weeks away. Well that is what I thought of immediately when I saw it.

13 Gina Baker April 25, 2012 at 3:15 pm

That is a very good point you bring up. My husband is very much equal to me, if not more when it comes to household chores. And he is definitely a top notch dad that would do anything for our little boy. All the same, a very good movie.

14 cupcakes for clara April 23, 2012 at 5:54 am

I am now a puddle of tears! Lovely – thank you for sharing :)

15 amy April 23, 2012 at 6:24 am

Didn’t expect to be but I was very moved by this video. I have such fond memories of the 1980 Olympics. As the mother of a child actress this video esp hit home.

A

16 Lauren April 23, 2012 at 6:37 am

Watching the Olympics was always a big family event for us, growing up. I used to calculate how old I would be during the next Olympics and think about if I could learn to be a gymnast by then :)

17 Design Mom April 23, 2012 at 6:48 am

Oh yes! I so remember calculating my age and thinking about the next Olympics. (For me it was the sprint runs!)

18 Kate April 23, 2012 at 7:31 am

Sobbing. Off to hug my kiddo who has his first ever soccer game today.

19 mindy t April 23, 2012 at 7:42 am

What a way to start my monday morning. With tears and a reminder of what a great job I have as a stay at home mom!

20 Betsy Cutler April 23, 2012 at 8:14 am

OMG! That commercial. I am crying and I hate crying at work. It is the hardest job and it is so awesome. xoxo thanks for sharing.

21 Gayletrini April 23, 2012 at 8:23 am

Yes soooo looking forward… my adopted country- Jamaica always shines in the Olympics. And my actual country does a good job as well :D

22 Gayletrini April 23, 2012 at 8:32 am

Fabulous ad by the way a real tear jerker :D thanks for sharing.

23 beka April 23, 2012 at 8:35 am

i absolutely did not expect to cry so instantaneously! thank you so much for sharing!

24 amy c April 23, 2012 at 8:44 am

I got teary-eyed when I saw this. What a wonderful tribute to moms everywhere. Can’t wait for the Olympics!

25 Patty Palmer April 23, 2012 at 8:51 am

Oh gosh…I’m actually crying. Now that’s a commercial marketed to moms!!! CAN’T
WAIT FOR LONDON!!!

26 Lindsay Lebresco April 23, 2012 at 9:10 am

Such a great video. Sure, there were no dads but let’s be honest, it’s USUALLY the moms who are making sure the uniforms are clean and the kids fed before they walk out the door for practice/games! (and this coming from someone with a stay-at-home-dad for a husband!) I loved it & of course, I cried :)

27 marian April 23, 2012 at 9:32 am

Way to go Gabbi – I would watch something like that on a morning I have on mascara! Darn tear ducts.

My husbands family went to the SLC Olympics the year we were dating and let me crash the party for 2 days – SO FUN!

28 Mary April 23, 2012 at 9:38 am

Ah man – you made me cry! Yes I am a huge fan of the Olympics – both summer and winter – and am excited to watch this year.

29 Jen R. April 23, 2012 at 9:39 am

Oh wow. :) *sniffle*

30 Joan April 23, 2012 at 9:41 am

I HATE waking a sleeping child! They’re so beautiful and peaceful and innocent when they sleep.

31 kayce hughes April 23, 2012 at 10:29 am

Tears rolling down my face at my desk.

32 Hillary April 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

Yes shouldn’t have watched at work! New Mom too, so to think of what might be in the cards for my son is amazing. Plus I know two kids that just might end up in the Olympics one day…

33 Sara April 23, 2012 at 11:16 am

Wow; completely emotional! I absolutely got teary. Thanks for sharing. I am not a big sports fan usually, but I LOVE the Olympics, and they always make me teary at some point. This is such a beautiful video!

34 Joe April 23, 2012 at 12:07 pm

How inspiring! Reminds us how lucky we are to be parents & how we can influence our children to achieve grate things. Loved it!

35 Sandy April 23, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I love the Olympics so much. You could put any old boring sport in the Olympics, and I would watch it. It’s just so much fun for two and a half weeks to veg out in front of the TV and root for people from countries you don’t normally think about… the opening ceremonies never fail to give me goosebumps and tears.

36 Bevy April 23, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I’m so glad you shared this on your blog. I almost sent it to you last week, when i couldn’t stop watching it over and over again. It is such a moving depiction of the small steps and sacrifices that lead to greatness. We don’t know why we do what we do on a daily basis, but moms (and dads) can shape the future through their kids.

I know that the director of the commercial, Alejandro Gonzalez Iñárritu (Amores Perros, 21 Grams, Babel, Biutiful), is Mexican, the land where mothers are close to godliness.

37 Kristin April 23, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Loved that ad, beautiful. And yes lots of tears…

38 Katie April 23, 2012 at 2:16 pm

It really is the best job ever!

39 Ashley April 23, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing.

40 Dee April 23, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Oh man, my eyes got a little dusty during that one! My brother and I are huge fans of the Olympics, we thought about going together this year.

41 steph t. April 23, 2012 at 5:19 pm

oh gosh… here i am bubbling like a fool!
my kids keep asking, “why are you crying mom?”
we are HUGE olympic fans here.
our whole family just loves the games.
thanks for sharing gabi!
xo

42 Brynne April 23, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Thank you so much for posting this. I’m going through the early, tired phase of this pregnancy, feeling like the daily work of caring for the other three is just so hard. Seeing the little actions of motherhood portrayed so positively made my night.

43 melissa April 23, 2012 at 8:25 pm

oh man, sweet parenting shots plus the olympics? my tear ducts didn’t stand a chance.

44 C April 24, 2012 at 3:11 am

Big tears there! I got the job to be one of the Olympic volunteers, welcoming people to the stadia in my hometown!!! I’ve been excited about this since since I was about 8, and I can’t wait for this summer!
(But yeah, my Dad did all of the things in the video too!)

45 Mau April 27, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Ugh can’t stop sniffling! I’m so tempted to go and wake up my daughters just to hug them (it’s 10.30pm)!