My Sister

April 30, 2012

My sister Jordan is moving from Paris back to San Francisco today. And I’m super sad about it! We’re living so far from home, and it’s been such a comfort to have family just two hours away. We didn’t even see each other that often, but it’s knowing she was there. Like when Maude was in the hospital — how lovely to think I could call on Jordan & Paul if we needed them. Or when I want to chat with someone early in the morning and everyone in the U.S. is fast asleep.

Plus, Jordan & Paul were amazing about hosting our family. They would generously invite all 8(!) of us to come stay in their little Paris apartment — and they never acted stressed out about it. I’m afraid Paris won’t feel nearly as close without the Ferney’s apartment to crash in.

What about you? How close do you live to your family?

P.S. — I know blogs are often a show, and make people look cooler than they are, but I’m telling you, in Jordan’s case, she is even cooler than her blog. Very little intimidates her. She thinks of amazing ideas, and then makes them happen. I can’t wait to see what she thinks up next.

1 Cheryl Burchett April 30, 2012 at 9:10 am

My inlaws live right next door and my sister is only 5 minutes away. On weeks like this one, when everyone in my house (including me) has been sick with a terrible virus, it is wonderful knowing that we have help near by.

2 the emily April 30, 2012 at 9:23 am

I lived in Utah for the past 13 years but last year we moved to Gallup, NM. Far from my parents and most of my siblings (even though we didn’t grow up there) it feels slightly lonely but my oldest sister lives in Albuquerque, just about 2 hours away. It’s so nice when you need to shop somewhere and go to the temple and do things outside of this small town to have a sister close enough to stay with and watch my kids if I need her. I love sisters!

3 Kelsey April 30, 2012 at 9:24 am

I made the most shocked expression when I clicked through to your sister’s blog and realised that she was Jordan of Oh Happy Day– I found both blogs separately and to find out you two are related is too cool!

4 Molly Hyde-Caroom April 30, 2012 at 10:58 am

Me, too! I was going to post this same thing but I thought it was so cool to find them separately! WOW, what a talented family!

5 emily April 30, 2012 at 9:26 am

Agreed– Jordan ROCKS!

6 Bev April 30, 2012 at 9:27 am

I’ve lived ‘abroad’ for almost half of my life when I moved away from Honduras to live in the US. My parents still live in Honduras, but I’m fortunate that I’m surrounded by my husband’s family (literally, sister and brother -in-laws live in my building!). My only sibling lives in DC as well.

I’ve learned to live away from family and it made me grow up very fast, which is probably why I cherish the chaotic moments when I’m surrounded by them. Family rocks!

7 Stephanie@GlassPeacock April 30, 2012 at 9:27 am

You will miss having your sister so close, but what a wonderful and unique experience full of memories you have shared! That makes it all the more difficult, I’m sure. My family and extended family is very close, most of us live within 10 minutes of one another. Sometimes I think I might take that for granted…having my parents, brother, grandmother, and aunts close is my security blanket!

8 Jill April 30, 2012 at 9:39 am

Nothing quite like sisters. Mine lives in my same town and is moving in a few weeks, just a few hours away, but I am already missing them. How much longer will you be in France?

9 Barchbo April 30, 2012 at 9:47 am

My husband still can’t figure out why my sister and I need to talk on the phone 6 or 7 times a day + email + text. We live four hours apart but we’re connected at the heart. :)

10 SEC April 30, 2012 at 10:15 am

I live in the UK. My parents live in California, as do three of my siblings. My other sister lives in CT. My husband has no siblings and is not close to his one living parent. We have a great life here, but I will never ever stop wishing that I lived closer to my family.

11 sil April 30, 2012 at 10:23 am

Hi!
I’ve never left a comment before but I follow the blog. Im also live in Paris with my husband and my little son of 18 months. He was born in Paris, and our families were far away… they could been later visiting and helping us a bit but motherhood is really though when your relatives are far and also your closest friends as me. I’m from Argentina, and I’ve been living out my country in differents places since 2005.
I also have a blog about my mind is crossed since I’ve a child is in spanish but if anyone can read it, I left my invitation http://www.mamadeultramar.blogspot.com

Cheers

12 Stephanie Smirnov April 30, 2012 at 10:25 am

My little sister (I’ll always call her that, even though we’re both 40-somethings!) lives in Hawaii — literally a world away. I miss her terribly. One of the happiest times I can remember was the year she spent with my husband and me in NYC while she was studying at culinary school. There’s nothing like having your sister right there for you. Hopefully you and Jordan will be a few time zones closer together in good time :)

13 susan April 30, 2012 at 10:27 am

Sorry your sister is leaving. My sister and brother are both 2,000 miles from me and I do miss them. Thank goodness for the Internet and Skype.

14 Elena April 30, 2012 at 10:27 am

I live in Canada. All my family, both sides my husband and I live in Mexico. It’s hard some times but you learn to make good friends and make it work.

15 Karina Hotard April 30, 2012 at 10:29 am

I’m from France (the Strasbourg area, in the East), but have lived in the states for the past 15 years. Fisrt Maryland, then Northern Virginia and now Lousiana, the New Orleans area. Although, I love my life here, I sometimes wish I had my family closer. And as one of you said (above), motherhood is a bit tough when alone. I do feel lonely too at times, but c’est la vie.

16 Zoe - SlowMama April 30, 2012 at 10:35 am

I have lived far from family since I left home for university many years ago and the older I get, the less I like it. I’d give anything to have a sister living close by — and a brother, too. I can relate to what you say about Jordan — my siblings are objectively the *best* people and I feel privileged to be their big sis.

17 Tiffany Lewis April 30, 2012 at 10:39 am

We moved away from family two years ago, and miss them terribly. My dream is to live right next door to my little sister. So I know how you feel!

18 Ann April 30, 2012 at 10:50 am

Yes, my sister and I are far away from each other. I’m in Michigan and she’s in DC.
She is a designer too. We don’t talk much but email each other from time to time. I wish we were closer but the distance and age difference has caused us to be that way. I think as we age we will become closer. It’s hard for the cousins not to be with each other.

19 kristi April 30, 2012 at 10:50 am

your PS is so lovely! I’m betting that Jordan would say the same about you!

20 Maria @ Busy as a Bee in Paris April 30, 2012 at 11:04 am

Like!
Just loved the posts you wrote about each other!
I would LOVE for one of my sisters to live over in France with me!
How fun that you do got to live this unique experience!
Bisous

21 Molly Hyde-Caroom April 30, 2012 at 11:05 am

I left living near friends and relatives 12 years ago when I went to marry my husband! We move often because of his job and I miss all of them dearly! We have lived as far as Japan and we now live in Germany! Maybe we should start a European support group! I love your blog and I have been meaning to write before now as we live in a farmhouse also right on the gorgeous Nims River! I can only imagine how much you will miss your sister but agree that the time spent here will be so valuable to your cherished memories. I also know that she will miss you just as much as you miss her no matter where she goes!
I hope you feel sad for a short time and that the beautiful spring weather will cheer your heart!
M

22 jodi April 30, 2012 at 11:13 am

Aw, I bet you guys will miss being in the same city. How fun to be in Paris together! I can relate somewhat, as my family lives on the east coast while we’re out here in the Bay Area. There’s nothing like family!

23 Trina April 30, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I’m sorry! Just last year we moved from Florida back to our hometown in Nebraska where my sister and her family live, and more family is just a couple hours away. It is wonderful having family close. And I get through the time away knowing that one day we’ll all be close again :)

24 Nicola April 30, 2012 at 12:54 pm

We are lucky that our move to France has brought us closer to family than we have been for the past ten years – although still not the same country! We have all been together for the last two weeks, my Mum just left Paris today as well. I am going to miss your sister’s Paris posts and I’ve never met her so I can’t imagine how you feel. When we’re not in Paris we’re in the Bay Area so I will look forward to reading about her move back. Thank you for ‘introducing’ us!

25 Hilarka April 30, 2012 at 12:56 pm

So sorry your sister is leaving! I’ve been living in Brussels, and have a sister in Nantes, France – so I was fortunate to have a family member in the same timezone. But we are moving to Mexico City and the rest of our family is in Oregon, Boston, Spain, Uruguay, and Montreal. We spend the vast majority of our vacation time visiting family. Good thing we get a European vacation package of 51 days a year!

26 Angeerah April 30, 2012 at 1:26 pm

They don’t live close enough! We are smack in the middle of the rust belt and most of our family lives in New England with my sister and her family in Seattle.

27 Elizabeth April 30, 2012 at 1:37 pm

..and I feel like Brooklyn and Philadelphia are too far for sisters!

How much longer will you and your family be in France?

28 Tanya H April 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I don’t live near ANY family…the closest family member is my father-in-law a ‘mere’ 14 hours by car, and we’ve never lived by family since being married. I can’t imagine having family nearby. Sometimes I get nostalgic for the idea of having grandparents, cousins or aunts for my child–like I did growing up, but it will never be a reality for us. SO! that’s why we make close, family-like friendships wherever we go.
So sorry Jordan is moving back to the Bay Area. :( There’s sure to be an emptiness, but that just makes room for another blessing to come into your life. Big ((hugs)) across the Atlantic Ocean… and I’m always awake at the most ridiculous hours—you can call me for a chat. Hang in there.

29 Notes from Holly St. April 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Such sweet words about your sister! I’m sad she’s moving too because I have been vicariously living through her during her Parisian adventures in the past year. Hope you two get to visit each other between France and SF often!

My sisters and I only live about 30 miles from each other but even that feels too far and we don’t see each other as often as we should.

30 Alison April 30, 2012 at 2:32 pm

What a kind thing to share about your sister

31 Corrie Anne April 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I love what you said about your sister. How sweet!! I have five siblings… some of them are almost as cool as me. Just kidding!! I’d love to have one nearby! Or more!

32 Gina vide April 30, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Oh, i really feel for you, right now (and yes, I see the perfectly cool harmony, creativity you both seem to share you and the coolness times infinity you both have) There is nothing like family. It’s that simple. (With time and circumstance however, some people are able to broaden family untraditionally — I feel this can happen when you are in the exact position you are in –I’ve now been living abroad so long now that with some relationships there is something special that happens now that we’ve bulit friendships over a time and circumstance — away from out homelands …. But that’s a conversation for another post!)however, I am right there with you when you not only talk about the same-time zone conversations but also, that special-no-discussion-relationship one has with family and your children — they’re witnesses to the most important parts one ones life and with that, too — there is nothing like family in the sense of watching our children grow, as well… So, yes, I can totally relate and imagine what you are going through today and wish you all the good as the air changes around you due to their flight back. Thankfully, as soon as they land and you can establish call times again, the world will shrink.
For all of the castles, patissairie, neutral toned chic elegance… The heart is always richest with the people we love, isn’t it. I am sure that you both now have an even deeper understanding of this — so who knows what this could mean to you both!! …. I always like to think that tomorrow’s a new day — and thank goodness for Internet!

33 Victoria April 30, 2012 at 3:51 pm

We now live in Portland Oregon and our family and oldest friends are all in the UK – approx 5,ooo miles away. Before here, we lived in the Netherlands, so just a short 45 min flight away but not just around the corner for a cup of tea! I’m not complaining, I love my life in different places with my own little family, but sometimes you really need someone who knows you really well close by.

34 Laetitia April 30, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Well I know about living far from my family….

I live in Paris, where live my brother and mother.
My dad (spanish), sister, step mother( Canadian) => Mexico
Uncle, aunty (american) , cousins => Canada
Grandma (spanish), uncle, cousins => Toulouse (south of France)
My dad’s family ( 45 cousins…..)=> Barcelona, Spain

Kind of use to it, but it is always nice to see each others.
And we have a strange feeling with my cousins (canada & toulouse) when we get the chance to gather, we connect as if we had seen the day before :)))

Love my family :))

35 Jane April 30, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Can’t believe your sis is leaving Paris, but what a great experience you two had to be in France at the same time!
I still remember when your sis moved to Paris and wrote about it — I sent the blog entry about it to my sister immediately and told her that it sounded like such a dream! We both took LOTS of French classes in school and would use it as our secret language when speaking in front of the parents :)

I am a complete country girl, and my sister is a city dweller, so naturally we agreed that I would be in Normandy and she would live in Paris :)

Here’s hoping to a speedy reunion for the both of you. Just think of all the lovely things she can now send you from the US!

36 Kirsty April 30, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I feel for you. I live in the U.S and my family live in South Africa and Australia. For a few happy months, my sister lived in Canada while we lived in California and we got to see each other every few months. It was so much fun. But now alas, I go for years without seeing my family and the time differences make it hard to even talk to each other. :( Most of my family have yet to meet my baby who is now 13 months old. And I have only been back to South Africa twice in 17 years. It is really tough.

How sweet of you to say she is cooler than her blog. I love your non-competitive, supportive relationship.

37 whitney April 30, 2012 at 5:39 pm

My sister and I live on the same street, only five doors from each other, and I love it!! My family moved to her street in Feb. Don’t know what I will do if this ever changes.

38 Maca April 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm

My sister lives in Moscow, one of my brother lives in Bruxelles and the other one in DC. Plus my parents live in Uruguay and we are here in Guatemala, so I know the filling! You will see them sooner than you hoped, that’s what I think when I miss them.

39 Claudia April 30, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I know the feeling of living so far from the rest of your family, my family lives so spread out as well, from France to Brasil and in between.
Next time you see each other is gonna be a lots of fun!

40 Anneliese April 30, 2012 at 8:42 pm

My three siblings and I all lived in the same city as adults twice. Now we are three together and one apart and I much prefer all of us in the same city! Nothing is better than family. I hope you weather the distance. Who knows…maybe you’ll find yourselves in the same city again? I can’t remember when you’ve got plans to return to the U.S. or will you remain expats for some time?

41 Meg April 30, 2012 at 8:45 pm

We just moved back home to the US after living in France. It was great to live abroad but even better to return back home to the states. The first day that my kids attended school and they said the Pledge of Allegiance, I balded like a baby…the other parents looked at me as though I was crazy. There is something about living abroad and away from friends and family that make you appreciate them once you are back home. When will you be returning stateside? Or will you?

42 Jen B April 30, 2012 at 10:25 pm

My husband and I met in Virginia. We married and moved to Maryland. Both of our families are from southern California. We were as far away from family as we could be, not by choice. He was a med student. Then one of his brothers moved to Maryland to do his residency. After that we were alone again … in Md. Then we moved to California (yay!) where the “residency brother” was living with his family. Then we moved to Colorado by ourselves, which is where we are now. But then, “residency brother” and his family followed us here, and we’ve had a wonderful year together. The sad part is that all good things must come to an end. We have at least 3 more years here and “residency brother” is moving with his family back to California this summer. We will be alone again. But who knows, maybe in 3 years we’ll follow his brother back to California!

43 Trish (downunder) May 1, 2012 at 12:17 am

Jordan returning to the States is sure to make you feel alone, but don’t forget you’ve got the beautiful Ben Blair and those delicious little children to cuddle. Your journey through life is like a story with amazing chapters but the love of those family members is what binds the whole. Both you and Jordan have had some super quality time together in France, so far from home, but what memories you’ll always have – just you two! Remember the shopping day in Paris??? hold the dreams. Sending love….

44 the enchanted home May 1, 2012 at 5:24 am

Love this shout out to your ultra cool sister! Our family is spread apart too all I can say is that when we do get together for special occasions like Christmas or a graduation, its that much sweeter!

45 Mary May 1, 2012 at 12:06 pm

My family is spread out all over the place, and it does make me sad. I’m so jealous of families that live close together. But you’re gaining an amazing experience during your time in France, all the while knowing you’ll be closer to family in another year.

46 Tan May 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Aww I can definitely relate! My parents and brother live in the same city in the house where I grew up which is absolutely fantastic. But my two older sisters have lived in different countries from me for more years than I can remember. I’m on Canada’s west coast while my older sister is in London and my oldest in Dallas TX. *sigh*

47 Stephanie @ henry happened May 1, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Aww, this made me a little teary. My sister just came to visit and it’s always so hard to say goodbye. Must find a way to live closer! Love that you are so close with your sis :)

48 Tabitha Pacheco May 2, 2012 at 8:40 am

in that photo your sister looks like Zoey Dechanel

49 Patricia May 2, 2012 at 11:16 am

you guys are the most creative, fun, and stress-free family I have ever known in the blogosphere! So sad to see them return…

50 Maria May 3, 2012 at 6:12 am

I left home to join the USAF when I was 18 and have never lived near any family since then. That never bothered me before I had kids, but now I’m sad I don’t live closer. I think my Mom always hoped eventually I’d moved back home (central IL) but I could never go back. Eventually I met and married a Canadian man and now we live in Ottawa, ON. I don’t get to see them often,but when I do it’s always so great. I wishmy sisters lived in NY so I could see them more often. Where will you move back to when you return?

51 Alix May 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Jordon is on my list of “People here in SF that I need to know better”, but lady….you are an AMAZING big sister. What an inspiration you must to your lil sis. I love your friendship with one another.

: )

52 Dottie May 4, 2012 at 10:37 am

How fun to see Alix’s name above my post! That makes me smile.

I was just about to say that this post made me miss my older brother so very much! We hadn’t live in the same state, let alone 20 minutes away for more than 20 years and then he moved a couple of towns over from me and it was amazing. Just knowing he was there was so amazing. So, I very much know how you feel.

Jordan is indeed super cool, but so are you! I’m still in awe of your sparkly beret from Alt! Sigh!

And lastly–you could be closer to your sister if you consider moving to the Bay Area! Alameda, my little island near SF sure is a sweet one-good schools and not as expensive as SF. And just a ferry ride away…

53 Iris May 7, 2012 at 2:28 am

I love how the internet makes the world such a small place – I bought some of Jordan’s cards on etsy a while back, and had no idea of the Design Mom connection. Thanks for the link!

54 Yvonne April 5, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Reading your post struck a chord, deeply! I just relocated to San Francisco from Singapore, so my sister is now 8,000+ miles away from me, when previously she’s always just a quick drive away. I really miss having my sis around, especially now that we’re both moms, the camaraderie is priceless. We talk on the phone and email now, but it cannot beat having a coffee together and just venting when you need it. Awww… I hope you and Jordan get to spend some “sisterly time” together soon. Sisters are the best!

55 geniebaby May 15, 2013 at 11:40 am

*HUGS* I WILL make it a reality by flying over and give you a hug in person, my dearest Jie! (older sister)

56 Hannah April 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I live in town with my sister. It’s priceless. I blogged about her sisterly love here.http://www.sundrymumsy.com/2012/04/its-all-in-details.html?q=April&m=1