Humans Of New York

April 26, 2012

This captivating site makes me ache for New York. It’s the impossibly just-perfect blend of wild and wistful, comforting and shocking, hilarious and heart-breaking, and always, always inspiring. Just like the city itself, right?

P.S. — This week marks 3 years since we moved away from New York.

1 Sandra April 26, 2012 at 5:58 am

I dreamt of living in NYC first when I was 7. And for all my travels I never did live there but I do visit twice a year. Once with my family and once on my own. That’s my creative recharge trip.

I am actually of this morning to NYC for five days! Cindy Sherman at MOMA and Philip Seymour Hoffman in Death of a Salesman. Yay!!!

How lucky were you to live there…

And what a fun site!

2 Meagan April 26, 2012 at 7:14 am

The quidditch one made me laugh out loud. My baby is looking at me like I’m crazy.

3 Barchbo April 26, 2012 at 8:31 am

I love this. I’ve been moaning a little about how I haven’t been to NYC in two years (I used to go 4-5 times a year) and missing it so bad. So thankful that you brought me a slice this morning! It’s so fun and addictive.

4 Anne April 26, 2012 at 9:59 am

One of my favorite songs is “Do You Miss NY?” by Dave Frishberg. Sums up how I feel about living somewhere else now…gets me every time.

5 Nora Ballantyne April 26, 2012 at 10:23 am

Gabrielle. You just made my WEEK by posting this. I’m a born and raised New Yorker living in Provo, UT (I know), and have had a really rough week of it. This site brought back the dearest memories, and has made me laugh and cry and wonder. Looking at all these people and reading about them fills me with an overwhelming LOVE for humanity, for the common feelings that people share even though on the outside, we look so different. People are so amazing, so brilliant, so unique. What a miracle we all are, and what incredible roles we all play in our own journeys. I love HONY for bringing so many people together in one place. Truly magical. Thank you, so much. xoxoxo

6 Gemma April 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I absolutely love this. New York is such a unique place, and capturing it like this is just…right.

7 Sharon @ Discovering April 26, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I’ve grown up in the shadow of NYC, and it is to where all of my roads point. I tried to move away one summer to LA 14 years ago, and while I love LA, I realized that I just can not leave it.
Sadly, I’ve never lived in it, but I have roamed the streets, both with others and by myself.
If anyone wants to come and visit, I love showing people around!

8 Andrea April 26, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Love it!

9 Danielle April 26, 2012 at 4:35 pm

What a great site! And *sigh*, like so many others I’m a wanna-be New Yorker. Can’t wait to see where your next adventure takes you and your family! :)

10 Jennifer April 26, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Thanks you so much for sharing the HONY site — I just totally lost myself in it for an hour and am not done yet!

11 Lisa Fyfe April 27, 2012 at 5:48 am

We moved from New York City to Connecticut about a year ago. Oh how I miss walking the streets everyday. Thanks for sharing this site and giving me my NY fix. I still think I will move back someday!

12 Chrissy April 27, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Gabby, every single time I visit DesignMom I walk away (clickaway? typeaway?) with a thousand new wonderful sites bookmarked. Thank you so much.

13 Sheree April 30, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Oh I loved reading this! The first story brought a tear to my eye and is a reminder that it is the simple things like a smile that that can make someones day. And I loved his reply :)

14 Joanie May 3, 2012 at 2:10 pm

thanks so much for this awesome find. the best yet – among many! made my week.

15 Lisa April 8, 2013 at 6:41 pm

My girl was captured on HONY recently:

Brandon is a great and talented guy! When he stopped us on the street and explained he had a blog, I told him I knew about it and liked it. I love how he brings New York to the world through his work.

He has a book coming out that you can preorder on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250038820?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1250038820&linkCode=xm2&tag=humofnewyor-20

Seems like it would make a great gift for all those friends who miss NYC!